Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:48 PM

30 posts, read 98,465 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband, son and I will be visiting the east TN area next week. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you might have for us. Thanks to the kind folks on this forum, we decided to visit Greeneville, Johnson City and the area inbetween looking for a place to live. (Ohio is sooooo cold.) Our son is asking for Gatlinburg but - well, we'll see about a side trip. I'm such a softie. A private message would be fine by me.
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2006, 10:04 AM

408 posts, read 1,977,677 times
With a kid, one of the things that comes to mind is the Hands on Museum in Johnson City.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:13 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,911 times
Thumbs up Bring Sweater.. !

J; Seems only SouthEast, so bring sweaters/ coats. Last week am was 18 degrees. Mon pm was record 72 degrees. Greeneville is positive target. Pres JOHNSON Federal museum(Free) is a nifty family stop, can get Ranger collector STAMP there or give him the Blue National Park Book to get his logo visitation collection started as he travels/learns about USA History. Right next door is Deli / Wrap sandwich shop full of Girl/realtor talk unofficial welcome greeter for visiting families. Quite impressed with this city and northeast side,(TUSCULUM), seems like a future Gem, but dont tell everyone yet... OH Rats this is a public forum, how can I erase..?
. Many Canoe / Kayak creeks / slow rivers in this region, get son a kayak / canoe for Christmas present.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:28 PM

265 posts, read 904,612 times
Joanie, If your son is under 15 - Pigeon Forge is a must. It will make you and hubby want to run away screaming - but your son would have fun.

Think 4 or 5 miles on both sides of the road of nothing but tacky-ed down Disney World - but with no fancy transportation, just traffic, traffic, traffic

For a family, I highly recommend doing some hiking in the Smokies. Guidebooks are available everywhere.

Another great family destination is Cades Cove over near Townsend. It is an 11 mile driving loop thru history - a truly wonderful experience and free.

Also, if you do brave Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, out of Gatlinburg is the Roaring Fork Motor Tour, which is very nice.

Have fun! I will be in the area at the same time looking for retirement property.

Old 12-20-2006, 03:09 PM

30 posts, read 98,465 times
Default Great ideas. Thanks!

Spilt, Insanesmooch and JR,
Thank you for great ideas! Our son is 22, on medical leave from college and totally into anything automotive/design/engineering. (Just in case you have specific ideas for him. He is coming along because he wants to see why Mom and Dad are interested in TN and he has "nothing else to do. I'll drive." kids! But he may be on his own soon so I'll take him!..)
I am a teacher and will check out some of your ideas for school. One of my computer classes has been researching national parks for a project in their room. Hmmm. Maybe I could be super teacher and bring back some special ideas for them.
J.R., If you'd like to send me info as to what you are looking for, I'd be happy to pass on property info if I see it. Private message?

Old 12-20-2006, 07:38 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,874,911 times
Smile Buy Son A Glastron

J.: Buy son a classic GLASTRON speedboat, you will be his Favorite Mom; This area has newly formed chapter. They will show him more fun than owning a Corvette, and I had a few of them.
.School kids may like the Impeachment Re-Voting issue presented at the Pres Johnson Museum, on the replica Congress paper cards.! It was such a 50%-50% debate of issues. Also give computer kids ways to share Photo albums, like trip reports., re-sizing pictures, etc, then suggest to us seniors.
.. Those Blue National Park LOGO Ranger visitaion STAMPS are great to encourage any travelers, young or old.
Enjoy . Will be looking forward to YOUR TRIP REPORT..! A few days ago I posted newspaper article about above average % of Private schools now in Tenn cITIES. These should offer more favorable salary..? I.M.O.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:43 PM

31 posts, read 106,956 times
Bristol Caverns are very cool. Biltmore Estate in Asheville is awsome, alittle pricey but me and the family really enjoyed it last summer. Its a pretty ride too. just my .02 cents.. Darryl

Old 12-21-2006, 11:14 PM

98 posts, read 430,952 times
Christmas in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg! Oh what a time! Come to think of it, it's always Christmas in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.. Oh and don't forget Dollywood! I'm sure they have some crazy Christmas celebrating going on.. What else is there?

Well if you're just looking for somewhere to spend an afternoon or evening, check out downtown Knoxville. There is outdoor ice skating on Market Square and lots of Christmas decorations everywhere. Market square also has several restaurants. Gay Street is adjacent to Market Square and has lots of shops, restaurants, and the historic Tennessee Theatre. Shows are sometimes expensive but the venue is awesome. The Tennessee River is a short walk away and can be viewed from the Gay Street bridge.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you want to hit something touristy, Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, Dollywood, etc. To just kind of see the sights, I'd suggest Knoxville. Make sure to avoid West Knoxville though. Just go straight downtown. You can park and walk everywhere you need to go. Traffic usually isn't bad downtown either.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:18 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by utvolsfan13 View Post
Make sure to avoid West Knoxville though. Just go straight downtown. You can park and walk everywhere you need to go. Traffic usually isn't bad downtown either.
I visited West Knoxville. There isn't anything wrong with it. It's suburban. It's just not different than any other suburban town anywhere else in the US. In other words, it's not unique enough to merit a tourist visit but if you are used to and like suburbia, it seemed like a perfectly fine place to live. I liked the area closest to Pellissippi Parkway (farthest away from downtown). You don't need to "avoid" West Knoxville, you just have no reason to visit it unless you are looking for a place to live in surburbia.

Old 12-22-2006, 11:22 AM

98 posts, read 430,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I visited West Knoxville. There isn't anything wrong with it. It's suburban. It's just not different than any other suburban town anywhere else in the US. In other words, it's not unique enough to merit a tourist visit but if you are used to and like suburbia, it seemed like a perfectly fine place to live. I liked the area closest to Pellissippi Parkway (farthest away from downtown). You don't need to "avoid" West Knoxville, you just have no reason to visit it unless you are looking for a place to live in surburbia.
Good point. I'm bitter sometimes for no reason. Kingston Pike just drives me crazy sometimes. The area around the Pellissippi Parkway is absolutely beautiful and not nearly as crowded. You are are right about West Knoxville. There is nothing that makes it worse than other suburbs. It's actually a lot better than many I've been to. If you like suburbs, then there's no reason you wouldn't like West Knoxville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee