Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2008, 09:14 AM

60 posts, read 188,634 times

Advertisements

Hello, looking in both the TN and AR forums for some information. I have found where lots of retirees "hang out" in Arkansas, and am looking for the same information about Tennessee if anyone has any knowledge of this.

Are there towns where retirees tend to move? I had heard the tri-cities area is becoming a retiree magnet?

Anyone know of any "village" type of situation for retirees? I'm not talking about assisted living and nursing homes, but something more similar to "The Villages" in Florida, where it's a big gated community and everyone runs around in golfcarts and has little modest homes (NOT like a Dell Webb sort of deal, more relaxed and modest).

Tennesee is so totally gorgeous in my opinion. It is SO hard to navigate the net and find these retiree havens, so thought I'd ask the natives LOL.

Thank you. Are the hushpuppies good in Tennessee?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 09:58 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneysuckleHobo View Post
Hello, looking in both the TN and AR forums for some information. I have found where lots of retirees "hang out" in Arkansas, and am looking for the same information about Tennessee if anyone has any knowledge of this.

Are there towns where retirees tend to move? I had heard the tri-cities area is becoming a retiree magnet?

Anyone know of any "village" type of situation for retirees? I'm not talking about assisted living and nursing homes, but something more similar to "The Villages" in Florida, where it's a big gated community and everyone runs around in golfcarts and has little modest homes (NOT like a Dell Webb sort of deal, more relaxed and modest).

Tennesee is so totally gorgeous in my opinion. It is SO hard to navigate the net and find these retiree havens, so thought I'd ask the natives LOL.

Thank you. Are the hushpuppies good in Tennessee?
The state of Tennessee has identified 9 popular retirement communities that it is marketing:

WEST TENNESSEE
Savannah/Hardin County
Paris/Henry County

MIDDLE TENNESSEE
Lawrenceburg/Lawrence County
Lewisburg/Marshall County

CUMBERLAND PLATEAU
Cookeville/Putnam County
Crossville/Cumberland County

EAST TENNESSEE
Chattanooga/Hamilton County
Greeneville/Greene County
Kingsport/Sullivan County

Of those, Crossville/Cumberland County is probably the most popular. It's got the oldest population in Tennessee and is home to Fairfield Glade. While not restricted to retirees, Fairfield Glade is certainly popular with retirees and is probably the closest thing in Tennessee to Florida's The Villages although it's much smaller.

For more info on the state's Retire Tennessee initiative, here's the web site:

Retire Tennessee

Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,806,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneysuckleHobo View Post
Crossville, Cookeville, Maryville, Sevierville and the Tri-Cities are some of the most popular destinations for retirees.

Quote:
Fairfield Glade (Cumberland Co.) is the first place that comes to mind. It's been around since 1970 and has approx. 8,000 residents. Tellico Village (Loudon Co.) was established in 1986 and has around 6,500 residents.

Last edited by kamoshika; 05-09-2008 at 10:15 AM..

Old 05-09-2008, 10:33 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamoshika View Post
Crossville, Cookeville, Maryville, Sevierville and the Tri-Cities are some of the most popular destinations for retirees.

Fairfield Glade (Cumberland Co.) is the first place that comes to mind. It's been around since 1970 and has approx. 8,000 residents. Tellico Village (Loudon Co.) was established in 1986 and has around 6,500 residents.
How could I forget Tellico Village? You're right, it's also a very popular retirement area.

Between Fairfield Glade and Tellico Village I think I would prefer Tellico. I've never really cared for the town of Crossville. But Tellico is close to Maryville which is a wonderful community, plus it's also closer to the Smoky Mountains, the Knoxville airport, and it's right on a huge lake.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:06 PM

60 posts, read 188,634 times
MY WORD thanks to you both, what great information! Many many thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee