Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
not true. cali at least (used) to have alot of high paying jobs. floriduh never did...

:-\
There are high paying jobs in Florida.

But we were talking about the public schools, not about high paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 AM

32 posts, read 203,136 times
Default CA schools compared to TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Out here in CA, things are very different. The public schools are actually pretty terrible. More than 50% of the parents here send the kids to private schools. Of those trying to get into public schools, there is a waiting list that you must join as soon as your child is born. The initial "rich school verus poor school" argument does apply here too. Schools in Marin CA get lots of private funding from parents so their kids can have the "luxury" of having things like art classes, gym, and band. In other schools, these programs have been cut. Schools are getting shut down left and right because of dwindling enrollement, which isn't a surprise when it is becoming more apparent that most people with kids are simply leaving the area.
I agree our public schools here in CA disappoint, but for accuracy's sake I'd like to point out that what sliverbox describes here is not representative throughout the state. It's not the case where I am, anyway. The 50% going to private schools must be just a local thing with your district, sliverbox? And a waiting list for public? I don't question you, but that doesn't even sound legal! I wonder how they get away with that.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:43 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,839 times
speedywriter,
Yes, you are correct. My observations are for the Bay Area, and not necessarily state-wide. The schools in SF are particularly bad. There is a big problem in two areas: teacher salaries and less student enrollment. Basically, teachers can't afford to live here on current salaries, and families with kids can't either. So it is a lose-lose situation all around. Some schools are good in the area, but zoning is STRICTLY enforced. So if you want your kids to go to a good public school then expect to shell out some serious money for a house anywhere close to it.That on top of the already insanely high prices. Yes- there is a waiting list- even just to get into preschool.

Old 03-08-2007, 01:18 PM

That is so sombering, sliverbox. Hey, whatever happened to all that extra lottery money that was supposed to go to the schools, huh?

Old 03-08-2007, 03:43 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
speedywriter,
Yes, you are correct. My observations are for the Bay Area, and not necessarily state-wide. The schools in SF are particularly bad. There is a big problem in two areas: teacher salaries and less student enrollment. Basically, teachers can't afford to live here on current salaries, and families with kids can't either. So it is a lose-lose situation all around. Some schools are good in the area, but zoning is STRICTLY enforced. So if you want your kids to go to a good public school then expect to shell out some serious money for a house anywhere close to it.That on top of the already insanely high prices. Yes- there is a waiting list- even just to get into preschool.
Yeah I don't understand why people put up with that kind of school system. I mean, we would never put up with the government telling us what hospital to use or what post office to use, but most school systems require that students attend particular schools, no exceptions. I hate that.

For the record, many school systems in Tennessee do have open systems. I know in Putnam County (Cookeville) you can go to any school you want as long as you provide your own transportation. I think if the government is going to be in the business of running schools, it should allow taxpayers a choice.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Yeah I don't understand why people put up with that kind of school system. I mean, we would never put up with the government telling us what hospital to use or what post office to use, but most school systems require that students attend particular schools, no exceptions. I hate that.

For the record, many school systems in Tennessee do have open systems. I know in Putnam County (Cookeville) you can go to any school you want as long as you provide your own transportation. I think if the government is going to be in the business of running schools, it should allow taxpayers a choice.
Hear, hear!

It's great to know, though, that some TN school systems are open. Where I live, that's not the case. And as sliverbox describes, attendance boundaries are strictly enforced. For desirable school districts, documentation is required that proves residency. Inter-district transfers are allowed, at least, for specific reasons and, again, only with documentation.

Old 03-15-2007, 09:35 PM

8 posts, read 30,451 times
Default re: hiknapster comment Feb. 2006 Eastern TN

Hello everyone. I was looking for Info on the LaFollette area and found a link that took me to hiknapster's reply from last year. There was general discussion from many people about the unwillingness of many people in Campbell Co. to accept outsiders. At the end of the discussion hiknapster stated that eastern TN was a nice place to visit but not a great place to live (please forgive me for not writing down your exact quote). We've decided after reading that discussion to stay away from that area. I was just wondering to what extent you meant that eastern TN part. My husband and I are in our mid forties and looking around the Maryville/Louisville area. It's just the two of us. We have both lived in NY all our lives. We just want a quiet area, privacy, nice friends, and to be part of a community that cares for its people. Is anywhere in eastern TN for us, or should we be looking somewhere else? Discrimination in any form is not a part of our nature and we certainly don't want to be in an area where we aren't welcome. Thank you so much for your honesty. We're too old to move after we move!

Old 03-16-2007, 08:25 AM

630 posts, read 2,432,565 times
So, in your post you are deciding, from one person that you will stay away from that area.
I certainly wouldn't let one persons opinion cause me to not move somewhere.
Unless, you are living in a bubble, I doubt if you will find an area where discrimination doesn't exist.
You will find predjudice, discrimination, racism, and bigotry in Tennessee, just like in any other state or country in the world for that matter.
Where there are people, you will find it.

I would suggest that you go way back and start reading "all" of the posts.
Take a day, and read all the way up to the present.
You will find that what you have perceived is not true.

I can tell you from past experience... I myself was discriminated against because I have dark brown hair and green eyes.
I stood out like a sore thumb. I was dressed very nicely, I was clean, and polite.
I tried to blend in the best that I could... but, you see, I still stood out.
It wasn't very pleasant.
I was in Denmark, and I was amongst a whole group of blond, blue eyed people. I wasn't fair skinned, or fair haired.
Oh, some people were cordial, but, there was this air.... "she's an American."
Granted, my whole experience with the whole country wasn't like that.
I just happened to be in an area where there wasn't a huge European influence of other peoples from other countries. I was in a smaller city where the people had lived for generations, and hadn't really been influenced by "outsiders."
In the "big" city of Copenhagen, there were people from all over western and eastern Europe. The attitudes were different. I guess, you could say that it was more "diverse."

You will find that.... in some very small areas, people are set in their ways, there is just no getting around it, and if you move into their area, just don't expect to change anything. You will have to adjust your way of thinking and adjust to theirs.

I have seen many posts from people in this forum who have briefly, and I mean very briefly been dissillusioned with Tennessee. It could have been a comment from a co worker, or a perfect stranger.
Someone didn't like their accent, or had heard that they came from a certain state, and decided on that alone was enough reason to not like them.

Hiknapster and her family have come a long way. Her husband was well established in his job, they had friends and life was good. Then, the owner of the business sold the business, and Hiknapsters husband found himself out of a job. They decided to move to Tennessee, and it was a bit of an adjustment in the beginning.
Just imagine, they gave up their home, and friends, everything familiar to them changed. They moved to a place where they had to make new friends, get new jobs, find a new home. It wasn't easy.
Ask Hiknapster how she feels today. A lot has changed. Recently she got a promotion at work, they are looking to buy a house. Her feelings have changed since they first moved here.

Tennesseans are good, hard working people. They would give the shirt off their backs to help a person in need. They are helpful, and they will be kind.

But, if they don't like something, they will tell you. They will not hide their feelings from you. However, they will tell you in a nice way.

I would also suggest coming to the area that you are interested in and spend a week or two... familiarize yourself with the area.
Visit the Mom/Pop restaurants. Talk to the locals.
Shop at the grocery store... say hi.
Don't be shy.

Then, make a decision on where you want to or not want to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam1215 View Post
Hello everyone. I was looking for Info on the LaFollette area and found a link that took me to hiknapster's reply from last year. There was general discussion from many people about the unwillingness of many people in Campbell Co. to accept outsiders. At the end of the discussion hiknapster stated that eastern TN was a nice place to visit but not a great place to live (please forgive me for not writing down your exact quote). We've decided after reading that discussion to stay away from that area. I was just wondering to what extent you meant that eastern TN part. My husband and I are in our mid forties and looking around the Maryville/Louisville area. It's just the two of us. We have both lived in NY all our lives. We just want a quiet area, privacy, nice friends, and to be part of a community that cares for its people. Is anywhere in eastern TN for us, or should we be looking somewhere else? Discrimination in any form is not a part of our nature and we certainly don't want to be in an area where we aren't welcome. Thank you so much for your honesty. We're too old to move after we move!

Old 03-16-2007, 01:09 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Thank you TNBound! Well said!

Actually I don't live in LaFolette. I have never been there. My daughter had a teacher from there though and she was fantastic! I live in north Knox county, near the Anderson County line.

I'm not thrilled with my neighborhood. We rent and the place is very transient. The biggest problem that I've had is from a family from New York state. They complain about everybody and their kids are terrors. I no longer allow my daughter play outside. I think once we move out of here things will be a LOT better.

Things started getting better once I got my job. I work with a great bunch of people. My husband said that where he works everyone of the guys is prejudiced, but they are auto mechanics, so what do you want? I think the one's in Florida were just as prejudiced!

The general store down the street from where I live is much better now. Recently, the owner even got excited to see me at a school function. We don't get those weird stares when we go there now!

All in all, I really like it here and don't intend to move anytime soon, well, other than out of my weird neighborhood.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:31 AM

377 posts, read 470,393 times
I read all the comments in this thread and would like some clarification.

I've also been evaluating the schools in the Knoxville area. As a side note, I found Maryville administration to be extremely friendly and helpful. I also heard that Farragut had pretty good schools.

However, I have been told that in North Knoxville, the school scores have recently been low enough for the state to be prepared to step in... is this true? This thread seems to deflect that, so where is the truth? Are the North Knoxville state scores the same as in Maryville and Farragut or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee