Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Minnesota relocation to Tennessee, suburbs versus city, nursing occupation, employment at St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital, Memphis versus Collierville area, sub zero weather patterns, crime rate statistics

Old 01-23-2007, 09:01 AM

117 posts, read 488,443 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am so glad I found this site, I will be relocating to TN later in the year. I too actually lived in FL for 3 yrs and am currently living in my home state of MN, but want to be somewhere else. I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best area in TN to live. I love the suburbs but like to be close to a major city. I am a nurse and have been looking into St. Judes chidlrens hospital and have not heard very good things about memphis, however it seems that the collierville area is the better suburb to be in outside of memphis. Any suggestions on this area? Where exactly is St. Judes located? Is it within memphis limits or a suburb? I am open to suggestions as to any location in TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 10:13 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,633,731 times
It's in the city.

Not sure how it compares employment-wise, but the relatively new Monroe Carrel Jr. Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt is ranked in the nation's top ten for Peds ER and Neonatology. Since you said you're open to other areas in TN, it may be an option. Nashville has lots of suburban areas to choose from.

Good luck, and ask us anything

Old 01-23-2007, 07:50 PM

Thanks akm, do you know of any hospital in the nashville area that has a good oncology/cancer center in it? Also what suburbs of nashville would you recommend? I would like a suburb that is pretty safe, low in crime if possible, execellent shopping, beautiful scenery and a good place to have family.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:30 PM

630 posts, read 2,432,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen1972 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am so glad I found this site, I will be relocating to TN later in the year. I too actually lived in FL for 3 yrs and am currently living in my home state of MN, but want to be somewhere else.
WE are also living in Mn right now.
My hubby is from Brainerd, and my family is from Tennessee.
We're planning on moving back soon.
Will be down to Tennessee in April to see my Dad and look at properties.
Where abouts are you in Minnesota?

Old 01-24-2007, 12:48 AM

I am in Maple Grove, MN. Where in MN are you? I am planning on moving late summer or early fall, haven't decided yet. My family is here, but I am venturing out to TN. Being a single gal with no kids, it makes it a little more simple. Where in TN are you looking? I was initially looking at the suburbs of Memphis, but now I am thinking middle TN towards eastern TN. I am an oncology(cancer) nurse and I was looking at St. Judes, Any suggestions on good hospitals/cancer centers? You probably have a lot of insight to where the best areas are to live. Have you been to Maple Grove? Are there any cities that you would compare to here? However, it would be nice to not have so many shopping areas in one place. I love to shop, but its getting very crowded in this city and it seems they are trying to put way to much in one area when there seems to be space elsewhere. At the same time I don't want to be in a big city either, but want to be near one. I would like an area where the crime rate is low if possible. I am so glad you wrote me! I would love any info you have! Thanks so much!

Last edited by Queen1972; 01-24-2007 at 01:03 AM..

Old 01-24-2007, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I am in Maple Grove, MN. Where in MN are you?
Oh, my goodness, you are right out my backdoor.
I'm in Coon Rapids.

I know what you mean, when we first moved here, it wasn't too bad, but, as the cities (Minneapolis/St.Paul) are growing out to the suburbs, so are more people and traffic.

We'll be moving to upper Middle Tennessee, in Springfield.
It's a smaller city, about 10 to 12,000 people, far enough from Nashville, but, close enough if we really want to go there.

My family is from Tennessee, my husbands are from Minnesota.
He was born and raised in Minnesota, then, joined the service and moved to Idaho. That's where he met me (Airforce brat, been everywhere, ended up in Idaho).
We moved to Minnesota, and now, finally, we will be moving back to my home.

You really shouldn't have any problems finding a hospital to work in.
They have some excellent ones in Tennessee.
Yes, the pay may not be as high as in Minnesota, but, the cost of living is lower in Tennessee, everything is really all relative.

Basically, it depends on where you want to live.

I tell you, anyplace away from here would probably have lower crime.
I'm so tired of turning on the news and hear that another person has been killed in Minneapolis.
They just had that double murder in Brooklyn Park.

If you are a "winter" person, then it will be a little hard on you moving from Minnesota to Tennessee... but, if you aren't into all of the winter activities, and like it warmer, you will love Tennessee.
The humidity is pretty much the same as Minnesota.
You have a much longer growing season there, and the people are actually nice.
I know, Minnesota is famous for it's "Minnesota Nice", but, they can't hold a candle to the people in Tennessee.

It may be a little of a culture shock when you move. The pace is much slower.
Sure, you will have your cranky people, but, all in all, I think you will be very surprised.

It's too bad that the "secret" is out, and people are moving to Tennessee...
LOL...

Oh, and you can do a Google search on hospitals, and go right to their websites for info. Most of them have an online application for jobs.
Do a search on the cities, find a map of Tennessee, talk to people, post in this forum, go to Realtracs to check out Real Estate.... check Apartment.com for rentals....
You will be amazed at the information that you will be able to find online.
I would also suggest that you go to the library.

But.............. above all, I would suggest taking a trip to Tennessee and actually seeing for yourself. Drive around, look at the countryside, visit the cities, talk to people.
Visit the little Mom/Pop Restaurants...

Don't move blind. If you do, you may be really disappointed and end up miserable. What may be one persons Garden of Eden, may be a disaster for you.

Good Luck in your Search.

Old 01-24-2007, 07:35 AM

Quote:
I Have you been to Maple Grove?

Forgot to answer this question... yes, I have been to Maple Grove many times.
My favorite Restaurant is Buca....

Old 01-24-2007, 09:21 AM

You are right next door! Buccas is great too! Another good one is Biagis. Thanks for the advice. I plan on going to TN in Feb. or March. I want to get an idea where i want to live. And if I am not impressed, I will make another trip until I find what I want. I am thinking outside of Nashville. It seems Memphis is more crime ridden and from what I have read here, the suburbs are being overtaken by Memphis which is bringing more crime into those areas, so unless I can find a place with 10 dead bolt locks on the door, bars in the windows (jk) the option is slowly fading. So I think I maybe visiting there on occassion (since I am an Elvis fan). I am looking forward to the slower paced lifestyle. I lived in Oklahoma a while ago and somewhat experienced it.

So I have some research I need to do. What are the winters like, I can handle some snow, but I HATE below zero weather! Is it comparable to Oklahoma's weather? LOL Thankfully this winter hasn't been too bad. I like changes of seasons, but not extremes. That is the one thing I missed while living in FL. In FL there are 2 seasons, Brown Leaves and Green Leaves! Very Hot and warm and maybe a little cool (depending where you are). Got boring fast.

I am off to Barnes and Noble to do some research. Thanks for the advice, if you think of anything else, feel free to share!

Old 01-24-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
What are the winters like, I can handle some snow, but I HATE below zero weather!
You will find much milder winters in Tennessee than in Minnesota.
It does snow some, but, usually melts off by the afternoon.
It really depends on where you live.
In the mountains, it will be a little colder.
But, you will have all that good clean air to breathe.

A couple of years ago, when my Dad lived in Crossville, his pansies never died.
They lived all winter. It would snow, then, warm up.

This year, has been really mild where he lives now... which is about 28 miles from Nashville.

I've never lived in Oklahoma, that's one state that we never transferred to.
So, I couldn't really tell you if the weather in Tennessee is comparable.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:00 PM

141 posts, read 981,673 times
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I am so glad I found this site, I will be relocating to TN later in the year. I too actually lived in FL for 3 yrs and am currently living in my home state of MN, but want to be somewhere else. I was wondering what everyone thinks is the best area in TN to live. I love the suburbs but like to be close to a major city. I am a nurse and have been looking into St. Judes chidlrens hospital and have not heard very good things about memphis, however it seems that the collierville area is the better suburb to be in outside of memphis. Any suggestions on this area? Where exactly is St. Judes located? Is it within memphis limits or a suburb? I am open to suggestions as to any location in TN.
St Judes is on Danny Thomas, right down in the heart of downtown Memphis.

Germantown used to be the suburb of choice in Shelby County, now it has been surpassed by Collierville. I usded to live in Cordova, and had lots of friends in Bartlett. There are quite a few people who live in Olive Branch, Mississippi too. It's a very nice (but growing) town, and I think it is technically closer to downtown than Collierville is.

You technically have the option of living in West Memphis, Arkansas...but I wouldn't send my worst enemy over there except to watch the races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee