Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2007, 07:59 AM

20 posts, read 75,023 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Central California to the Greeneville area in Eastern Tennessee this year. We plan on buying a lease return Toyota pick-up after we get back there. Would it be in our best intrest to buy a 4x4 based on road conditions during the winter. I have read on this site where Green County has a very good road program, even during the winter months, but we will be driving to Western Tennessee and Georgia during the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 11:17 AM

141 posts, read 981,334 times
I've driven in 12" snows around east Tennessee over the years with absolutely no need for 4wd, not even snow tires. Most of the counties plow feverishly, and the snow melts in a day or two anyhow.

The only maybe would be if you were going to live ten miles up a gravel road or something. Then I might spring for the 4x4, but it would be as much for mud as it would for snow. We actually get a lot more rain than we do snow around these parts!

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2007, 12:05 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Bloom View Post
I've driven in 12" snows around east Tennessee over the years with absolutely no need for 4wd, not even snow tires. Most of the counties plow feverishly, and the snow melts in a day or two anyhow.

The only maybe would be if you were going to live ten miles up a gravel road or something. Then I might spring for the 4x4, but it would be as much for mud as it would for snow. We actually get a lot more rain than we do snow around these parts!

Good luck!
For that matter, very few Scandinavians drive 4x4 vehicles (think Volvo and Saab) and they're able to drive just fine in all that Arctic snow.

I have a Jeep 4x4 but only to drive on muddy mountain roads after heavy rains, not for snow.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:46 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times
99% of the time I think you'll be fine with a 4x2 and don't need 4x4, but when you need 4x4, you need it. It's better to have and not need, than need and not have.

You are going to buy and not lease the vehicle right? For how long, long term than I'd get the 4x4, who knows what the future holds. I have a Jeep 4x4 and a Honda 4x4 AWD (rain, mud, snow, etc)

Good luck

Tony

Old 01-30-2007, 03:07 PM

20 posts, read 75,023 times
I thank you all. I am going to take upur advise and spend the money on a 4x2 I am hoping that there will be a lot of people trading their 05 &/or 06 in for the newer and larger 07 models

Gene

Old 01-30-2007, 04:41 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
This is not snow country. Not by a long shot. The locals talk about the snow like it is New England or Colorado. That's because it is a big deal to them and most have nothing to compare it with. Last year, there were less than two inches and that was not at one time. It also melts within hours if it sticks at all.

Old 01-30-2007, 05:50 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
This is not snow country. Not by a long shot. The locals talk about the snow like it is New England or Colorado. That's because it is a big deal to them and most have nothing to compare it with. Last year, there were less than two inches and that was not at one time. It also melts within hours if it sticks at all.
You are so true, but here in WA it's been the same way for years and years, no snow and if it did snow it didn't stick...........until this year, we've had 4 snow/ice storms that shut down the area roads for a week at a time, we've had floods and windstorms that made roads impassable except to 4x4's. That's the only reason I recommended the extra $1500 - $2000 for 4x4, you may not plan on needing it, but stuff happens.

I'm looking forward to moving to East TN this spring and while I won't need 4x4 all the time, I will travel across the mountain to NC quite a bit and it does tend to snow up on the pass more often then down in Knoxville.

Go 4x4 Besides buy a Jeep and go 4x4'ing, that's what I did when I was much younger in NC.

Tony

Old 01-31-2007, 03:23 AM

33 posts, read 110,555 times
We're moving from CA to TN, too, and plan to buy in an area not far from where you will be in Greeneville.

From everything I'm told, and we've asked, you don't need 4x4 there.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:36 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
A note to those not used to driving in snow......4x4 means absolutely nothing on the roads when it snows. Ice is what you have to worry about and you can't get traction on ice....tracktor trailers, hummers, SUV's, economy cars, or about any vehicle will slide on ice. A front wheel drive car is actually your best bet when trying to avoid the slide, or properly correct out of a slide.
Now mind you, this is only a worry one or two days out of the year here in East TN. The roads are pre treated if there is any call for snow and the roads are the first place it melts off.
I know this is a real concern for anyone moving from an area that does not ever get snow, but being raised in CT, I do giggle when folks get so worried about snow here. The real worry is not what is falling from the sky, but those on the road with you that freak out about what is falling and do not know how to drive in inclement weather. From what I have seen here, most accidents in bad weather is because the driver was not knowledgeable in how to drive in bad weather. Over correcting, trying to turn away from a slide instead of into it, having way to much faith in their type of vehicle, things like that.
My warning again: it is not the vehicle you drive, but how you and others on the road with you drive.

I prefer to stay off the roads in inclement weather if I can, if I HAVE to drive, I give everyone on the road a big leeway. Knock on wood, has worked for me so far. I did hydroplane once on Interstate 81 in the summer, in the rain and ended up on the side of the road, facing the wrong way, scared the you know what out of me, but myself and car, no damage, because I was able to get it off the highway and away from others. It is amazing what kicks in as far as reactions go. Being able to not over correct saved me....thanks Dad for pounding that in my head as a kid growing up in the great white North.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee