Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Tennessee relocation prompts questioning of religious yet unwelcoming of newcomers, reasons for moving include eliminate high taxes, elevated property costs, cost of living, increased home owner’s insurance

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:04 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times

Advertisements

What city/town are you looking in? Citi in Gray is hiring. Also most secretarial jobs are hired through employment recruiters here. Have you signed up with any as it was suggested earlier? There are many CEO's Doctors, Nurses and other medical staff. Yes, there are a lot of jobs in factories, including secretaries, engineers, and environmentalists. There is also financial planners, lawyers, paralegals, grocery clerks, wait staff, and just about any other profession you can think of available.
However, there is not a huge turn over in this neck of the woods. Employees are treated fairly and nicely. The unemployment rate is below 5% here.
In short, yes there are jobs here, no you will not find one in a day.
And statistically, wages are less here than a lot of other states, however cost of living is also a lot cheaper. I have seen that a lot of folks say they can't find a job in TN, but they really can't find a job paying them what they are used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
OKAAAYYYYY Thank you!! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I have no idea what anyone does for a living here. I'm guessing that most of the state is filled with retirees (the bulk), truck drivers, construction workers, factory workers, farmers, or on disability or welfare. There is NOTHING wrong with any of the above jobs. I just prefer office work.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:25 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
OKAAAYYYYY Thank you!! I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I have no idea what anyone does for a living here. I'm guessing that most of the state is filled with retirees (the bulk), truck drivers, construction workers, factory workers, farmers, or on disability or welfare. There is NOTHING wrong with any of the above jobs. I just prefer office work.
What on earth are you talking about? The bulk of the state is retirees? ??

You ask questions for which you can easily find answers if you just do a bit of research on your own, such as your earlier question on unemployment payouts from the state.

According to the US Census, in 2002 (the latest figures available) here's the breakdown of the top employers in Tennessee:

1. industry
2. retail trade
3. health care
4. food and lodging establishments
5. administrative jobs
6. construction
7. transportation
8. finance
9. professional and scientific services
10. management

As for your quest to find employment as a legal administrative assistant, you have already stated that you don't like online employment services, and you don't trust newspaper classified ads. What are you expecting from this forum? Do you think there's someone in this forum who can provide you a job?

The information you're looking for is out there, and you are the only one who knows what kind of job you're capable of doing. You've been given plenty of advice here in this forum, now you need to take some responsibility and find yourself a job. If you want to. And, please, quit complaining that no one in this forum is giving you the information you're seeking.

Last edited by JMT; 02-20-2007 at 06:46 PM..

Old 02-20-2007, 06:48 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

You ask questions for which you can easily find answers if you just do a bit of research on your own, such as your earlier question on unemployment payouts from the state.

According to the US Census, in 2002 (the latest figures available) here's the breakdown of the top employers in Tennessee:

1. industry
2. retail trade
3. health care
5. administrative jobs
6. construction
7. transportation
8. finance
10. management

As for your quest to find employment as a legal administrative assistant, you have already stated that you don't like online employment services, and you don't trust newspaper classified ads. What are you expecting from this forum? Do you think there's someone in this forum who can provide you a job?

The information you're looking for is out there, and you are the only one who knows what kind of job you're capable of doing. You've been given plenty of advice here in this forum, now you need to take some responsibility and find yourself a job. If you want to. And quit complaining that no one in this forum is giving you the information you're seeking.
Once again, statistics are just that. we're looking for specifics. Well in my case of finding my husband automotive work, we know there's jobs out there but to speak to someone who is actually out there working and get their input as far as how busy the places are, how many hours can you make in a week and other info that you can't get just looking online or in the papers. i've done my research online and found state statistics on the types of work out there but it's the details i think we are looking for. A statistic page doesn't give us what we need to know. I guess we're just hoping to find someone on the forum who has a job in the same field as us to share some input wtih. I'm not looking for you to tell my YOUR personal income details but just some general information of their experience with their jobs.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:58 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
What city/town are you looking in? Citi in Gray is hiring. Also most secretarial jobs are hired through employment recruiters here. Have you signed up with any as it was suggested earlier? There are many CEO's Doctors, Nurses and other medical staff. Yes, there are a lot of jobs in factories, including secretaries, engineers, and environmentalists. There is also financial planners, lawyers, paralegals, grocery clerks, wait staff, and just about any other profession you can think of available.
However, there is not a huge turn over in this neck of the woods. Employees are treated fairly and nicely. The unemployment rate is below 5% here.
In short, yes there are jobs here, no you will not find one in a day.
And statistically, wages are less here than a lot of other states, however cost of living is also a lot cheaper. I have seen that a lot of folks say they can't find a job in TN, but they really can't find a job paying them what they are used to
Thank mbmouse! Everything about your post was EXACTLY what I was looking for! I-N-F-O-R-M-A-T-I-O-N!

I'm not looking to make big city wages, I'm VERY aware of what moving to a smaller state/city/town is like. My only concern was the JOB MARKET. Because no matter how beautiful the scenery is or how nice the people are, if there are NO DECENT PAYING JOBS for that area it will mean NOTHING if you're barely making ends meet. I don't know about other people, but I'm not a "friendly" person when I'm financially struggling.

As I said in my earlier post, I will check the Chamber of Commerce agencies and business journals for the cities that I'm interested in. And I know I won't find work in a few days, I just want to know that the areas are not economically depressed.

Again, thanks again for your VERY informative answer to my question.

Last edited by marilyn220; 02-20-2007 at 07:35 PM..

Old 02-20-2007, 07:33 PM

243 posts, read 887,519 times
Talking Jobs

I don't expect to make in Tennessee what I make in another state. I really am realistic that I will not find a job in my specialized field. I am an IRS 1031 Tax Deferred Exchange Coordinator. In short I prepare documents for people doing exchanges. It is a specilized field and I happened by it quite by accident. But, from what I have read on this site, the cost of living is not much cheaper. If you plan on buying a home there then yes, real estate is much cheaper then where I now live and the RE taxes are much lower too. Everything else is about the same as it is here, groceries, clothing,gas etc.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:34 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,029,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

1. industry
2. retail trade
3. health care
5. administrative jobs
6. construction
7. transportation
8. finance
10. management

The information you're looking for is out there, and you are the only one who knows what kind of job you're capable of doing. You've been given plenty of advice here in this forum, now you need to take some responsibility and find yourself a job. If you want to. And, please, quit complaining that no one in this forum is giving you the information you're seeking.
Nobody in the forum was giving me the information I was seeking until mbmouse's post. This was all I wanted - INFORMATION about what types of jobs were available in various places, especially office/secretarial type work. Not those statistics you listed. I don't care about those. I want to hear from people actually "working". I know that some parts of the state is more rural/blue collar than others. I don't want to "assume" nothing, this is what I did when I moved to Los Angeles. LA supposedly had alot of work too, but all I've been doing and offered is long-term temp work (and even that is competitive). My goal is to get a PERMANENT JOB w/benefits in the next place I move to. That's why I'm making a big deal about the employment situation. It's very IMPORTANT if you want to live a fulfilling life.

The "vague" answers about the job market seemed suspect to me, but I'm over it now (again, thanks to Mbmouse and Alleycat in my Nashville post). For the record, I don't mind searching out things myself, but I figured with all the people posting about how much they're happy they moved to Tennessee and how they'll never move anywhere else, blah, blah, that they "must" be working. And if so, what types of jobs?

Ninety-nine percent of the posts in the Tennessee forum are about how friendly everyone is, the wonderful cost of living, how they've found "heaven on earth", etc. That's all well and good, but you rarely read about what these people do for a living.

I'm grateful to you in responding to my Unemployment Benefits post, but I figured SOMEONE in the forum would have had prior (or current) experience in collecting unemployment benefits and I could get a more direct answer. Obviously, unemployment doesn't seem like a huge problem in Tennessee like it is in California. That's good. (By the way, I took your advice and called the office myself, they answered my question. Thanks. )

And no, I'm not expecting anyone to "provide me a job", but to just give me an idea of what types of jobs ARE available in their specific city/town. That's all. I don't see what the problem is. Forgive me for not getting on the "I Love Tennessee" bandwagon like everyone else. But I can assure you that once I'm fully employed with a decent paying job where I'm able to pay my bills and have enough left over to "save" for a rainy day and enjoy myself, then I'll be singing Tennessee's praises too. Not before. The New Yorker in me won't allow me to.

Take care.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:35 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
OK, I think this thread has gone onto about 3 different topics and is rather heated, so I think it is time to put it to bed. Please feel free to start other threads on the forum with a new topic, .......or 2.....or 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee