Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 11:00 AM

78 posts, read 282,966 times

Advertisements

All this talk is cracking me up. I'm sure to sound like a westerner and that's fine by me. We can giggle with each other.
What are grits? Is it oatmeal?
We pay big bucks for "organic" foods in Calif. What about in TN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 01:33 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
I didnt know grits until I was in north Florida. They are a kind of corn meal. they are good with cheese. Organic foods- supermarkets sell some- but there is no "Whole Foods" in NE Tennesse, at least. There is a nature's health food store in my town.

sunny

Old 04-14-2007, 03:37 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
A "Grit" is made from corn, it is actually from the hominey part of the corn (close to the cob) and believe it or not is very healthy for you. Can't remember the name of the mineral (or vitamin) that it has in it, but it is good.
I prefer to eat them at diner as a side dish instead of potatoes or rice (as it is from corm which means a starch) but I bake them with garlic, cheese and some spices and they come out more like a cake consistency and you eat them with a fork, not a spoon.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,008 times
lol, this thread is great! I grew up in Rhode Island and I too can attest for the fact that every state in New England has a slightly varied accent. Boston was only 40 miles north from where I grew up, yet my accent is entirely different from those who hail from Boston. I have lived all over - from NYC, to LA and now Nashville...

Some Rhode Island sayings/words:

we say "wicked" a lot. Ex. "I'm wicked tired right now" OR "I had a wicked good time last night". You'll also hear that phrase throughout New England.

A drinking fountain in RI is called a bubbler (which actually sounds more like bubbla with the accent). I still have a hard time breaking away from this one. I just avoid saying it now b/c I get many strange looks!!

Subs/hoagies are called Grinders - hot or cold.

You'll hear the term "side by each" a lot in RI too. Instead of saying side by side.

"I'm all set" -- I say this all the time! Let's say someone asks me if I'd like a glass of water - if I don't want any, I'd say "no thanks, I'm all set". Even if I don't even have water already.

We also have coffee milk in RI - they're even in the school lunch rooms with the regular and chocolate cartons. It's just like chocolate milk, only coffee flavored.

a milkshake is called a cabinet.

Gravy refers to red sauce (spaghetti sauce). NOT the kind of gravy you put on biscuits. (we have a huge Italian population).

I could go on and on...RI and New Englanders have a lot of quirks in general. But, I suppose that is true of any region.

This is a fun site to look at:
http://www.quahog.org/factsfolklore/index.php?id=43

I've lived in TN for almost two years now and I think it's a fantastic place. The south is very nice - especially the people! The whole "ma'am" thing takes some getting used to though. I'm not angry when I hear it, it's just that in my head, ma'am is used when referring to an old woman. I just wish they'd call me "miss"!! When I first moved down here, I really had a hard time understanding people. Sometimes I still have to ask people to repeat what they say, but I'm catching on!!

Luckily, I escaped New England without a really heavy accent. Probably because my parents are from MN. I don't drop my r's, but you will catch me saying "cawfee" and "tawk" (coffee and talk). lol.

My mom got me this great book called the Rhode Island dictionary. It's hilarious! RI is more like one big town, rather than a state.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:18 PM

2 posts, read 5,008 times
LauraC -- we drop our r's in new england too - brothah, sistah, nevah, ovah (over)...I've lived in both NYC and RI and it's the same in both areas.

Of course, we add r's to certain words -- like idear (aka idea).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee