Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 08:54 PM

63 posts, read 327,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncguy2000 View Post
Hey TN Gal, try putting Chedder Cheese and Tabasco in Grits,
it gives them a little umph!
Hey CNCGuy, that might make the grits a little easier to get down. Maybe adding some salsa might work too! Since I'm in AZ now, we put salsa in just about everything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 09:21 PM

19 posts, read 111,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
This whole Coke vs. pop vs. soda is fascinating. I teach linguistics and am always fascinated by these kinds of things. Thanks to LauraC for bringing it up.

Here's a map that shows every county in the US and the terminology used in each county for carbonated drinks. I think it's pretty interesting!

It looks like Tennessee is holding on strong. Most other states that border with "pop" and "soda" states are very diverse in what they call coke.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:29 PM

19 posts, read 111,950 times
The other day our internet was down so the Charter guy came out to fix it. I seriously had the most difficult time understanding him. I thought he was an imigrant from Italy, or someplace in Europe. He told me that he moved here about 8 months ago from Brooklyn. I never knew there was that much "accent" up there. I guess they feel the same about Tennesseans.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:32 PM

40 posts, read 121,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal in AZ View Post
Hey CNCGuy, that might make the grits a little easier to get down. Maybe adding some salsa might work too! Since I'm in AZ now, we put salsa in just about everything!

I'm with TN Gal, there ain't nuthin that'll make grits good nuf to eat. They are vile and nasty any way you fix 'em.

On the Coke issue, when my husband and I were dating some 20 years ago, I asked him to get me a Coke when he went into the market to get him something to drink. He came back out with a Coke, and I looked at him like he had 3 horns growing out of his head. I asked him why he got me a coke when he knew that all I ever drank wuz Mt. Dew. I had succeeded in confusing him and have kept it up for 20 years.

Something else that confuses northern people is when a northerner asks if the southerner would care to do something for them. We usually say "no, I wouldn't care at all". Then the northerner asks, "does that me you will or won't."

Old 04-11-2007, 07:29 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,226,479 times
Oh yes. I confused poor people all over teh north and west.

"I don't care to get it for you."

"wait-- so are you getting it or not?"

"Well of course I'm going to!"

Old 04-12-2007, 02:39 PM

3 posts, read 34,357 times
Default funny topic

I never read posts. But this has go to be one of the best i have ever killed time with. I live in mountain Georgia but was born in costal North carolina and yep Coke means all fizzy drinks. A Coke-cola (that would be the way to say it here) gets you well... coke. I drink tea which always comes sweet cold and black unless you have some ailment that prevents you from drinking it the way God intended. I push a buggy when i shop and drop things in the floor. Greens are vegetables and grits are good. I don't go to resteraunts i go to cafe's, and i don't have children i have youngns' which we raise( not bring up) like farm crops. I love the way we talk and feel as Lewis Grizzard did, that God talks like we do.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:06 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Oh, wow! I JUST finished reading Grizzard's "Elvis is Dead and I Don't Feel So Good Myself" and "Shoot Low, Boys--They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies."

I like reading regional authors, it gives me a better understanding of the area and its people.

When I lived in Florida I DEVOURED Carl Hiaasen!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:08 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,680,914 times
does it count that I read Dave Barry down here

Old 04-12-2007, 03:21 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
I think everyone should read Dave Barry anywhere!

If you want to laugh, but learn something about the development of Florida and other issues, you should read Hiaasen. He also has a great book about Disney. It is not flattering but it is not fiction like his other books.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:36 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,588,779 times
Talking lol!!!-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmar686 View Post
The other day our internet was down so the Charter guy came out to fix it. I seriously had the most difficult time understanding him. I thought he was an imigrant from Italy, or someplace in Europe. He told me that he moved here about 8 months ago from Brooklyn. I never knew there was that much "accent" up there. I guess they feel the same about Tennesseans.
This is extremely funny. My husband is from Brooklyn and does have the accent. He is a store manager at Lowe's in Elizabethton- and one girl couldnt understand a word he said!!! (instead of "horse" it sounds like hawse) He doesnt say You'ze, but alot of people there do (its actually the same meaning as youins in Tennessee)

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee