Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:18 AM

63 posts, read 294,312 times

Advertisements

[quote=JMT;387768]Very thorough!

As for the "can you carry me to the store" I think it's perfectly logical. After all, if you want your neighbor to take you to the store, don't you ask her to "pick you up"? ("Can you pick me up at 6:30?")

I find this all intriguing.. thanks! actually when I ask a friend for a ride I would say can you "swing by" around 6:30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 04:53 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Around here (Iowa) it's pop, not soda. Go a little north and that changes. We call it Coke, Pepsi, etc. Coke is not generic. They're heros, subs, grinders, etc. Any one of them will get you food.

Pig in a poke...

You're likely to get hot tea in the morning, iced tea after 11:00, no sweet tea. Tried it - too sweet for me. Had some odd, but delicious tea down south once. I think it might have been the fruit tea mentioned earlier. Very interesting stuff, that.

Asking for pie is a 50/50 proposition here. You'll either get a pizza or a blank stare.

This joke won't work with soda:

"Do you have pop in a bottle?"

"Yes"

"Well let him out. Mom wants him home for dinner!"

Old 02-21-2007, 07:04 PM

52 posts, read 154,521 times
buggy....GREAT...my wife ALWAYS calls it that...I grew up in columbus..so its a "shopping cart"...I ALWAYS correct her...(just to poke fun at her...)...she's sitting on the couch HOWLING with laughter....she said "see...I told you I should have been born in the south"..

wonderful...wonder how long she will tease me..

Old 02-21-2007, 07:16 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,745,432 times
Pop is a Midwest thing for soda. Yup, I get some funny looks when I call it that. I think hoagies are a Pennsylvania name, in Tennessee they're called subs.

And Bless Your Heart does have several meanings. Depending who is saying it, it could be sarcasm. :-)

Old 02-21-2007, 07:18 PM

390 posts, read 1,702,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Around here (Iowa) it's pop, not soda. Go a little north and that changes. We call it Coke, Pepsi, etc. Coke is not generic. They're heros, subs, grinders, etc. Any one of them will get you food.

Pig in a poke...

You're likely to get hot tea in the morning, iced tea after 11:00, no sweet tea. Tried it - too sweet for me. Had some odd, but delicious tea down south once. I think it might have been the fruit tea mentioned earlier. Very interesting stuff, that.

Asking for pie is a 50/50 proposition here. You'll either get a pizza or a blank stare.

This joke won't work with soda:

"Do you have pop in a bottle?"

"Yes"

"Well let him out. Mom wants him home for dinner!"
Tee-Hee....I am originally from Rochester NY and when I moved to Los Angeles at age 13 and asked for a pop, people looked at me like I was crazy...I quickly learned to say soda! Or they just say coke in LA. In St, Louis (grad school) it was coke and here in S. FL it is soda or the actual brand.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:42 PM

13,356 posts, read 39,983,771 times
This whole Coke vs. pop vs. soda is fascinating. I teach linguistics and am always fascinated by these kinds of things. Thanks to LauraC for bringing it up.

Here's a map that shows every county in the US and the terminology used in each county for carbonated drinks. I think it's pretty interesting!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:55 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,329,215 times
How interesting!!! Thanks for posting it JMT. I love the stuff you and LauraC come up with!

Old 02-22-2007, 02:56 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Oh, I love the map! I wonder what other goodies you have to share!

I HATED my Linguistics class in high school. I think it had a lot to do with the teacher. However, I find that I now use a lot of that information in daily life. The class turned out to be one of the most, if not the most valuable, class.

Old 02-22-2007, 04:31 AM

359 posts, read 1,636,738 times
Wow - imagine doing a research project on that ~ I guess they probably included many other words and phrases in their project.

I think Wisconsin where I originally come from has just as many odd phrases as Tennessee. For instance, do you know what a 'bubbler' is? (A water fountain.) The area where I come from calls traffic lights, 'stop and go lights'. And Coke is called pop in Dodge County, Wisconsin.

I remember the first time my parents came to visit us in TN, we went to McDonald's one day. They could not understand one word that the person taking their order said to them. Not one word! (They hadn't been out of SE Wisconsin very much in their lives, though.)

Old 02-22-2007, 06:30 AM

52 posts, read 154,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
so Red is Democrat???

thats cool...nice find!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee