Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:16 PM

275 posts, read 1,125,205 times

Advertisements

A little south of Tn, we have...

Cokes are Soft drinks what kind of coke?
Po-Boys.... Extra gravy
Buggies, used to put stuff in when you "Make Groceries"
Tea, Iced and Sweet (I like mine UnSweet)
in New Orleans they also have "Neutal Ground" = Area between 2 lanes of traffic.
A MS Gulfcoast original is "French Dressing" (Catalina) on your Pizza.
- Been around the country, this is the only place I have seen this. (try it!)
and the last one is "Barqs" = Rootbeer, a must when eating that Dressed Roastbeef Po-boy that is dripping extra brown gravy down your shirt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2007, 07:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Default We hear both here

ruff and "rhymes with tooth" for roof.

On occasion I hear sody (or soda) pop. Guess that covers the whole country.

How many of you add the letter "r" in odd (to me) places?

Warshington, warshing machine, idear (pronounced ideer) for idea, or leave them out as in cah for car.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:21 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
How many of you add the letter "r" in odd (to me) places?
You mean, like soder for soda? It's soduh.

I had the opposite problem - nevuh, evuh, wawtuh, sistuh (never, ever, water, sister) when I had just left NY 11 years ago but I think I don't do that now and I hear it when some one else does do it. And I want to add that, that's only a New York City/ Lon Gisland/ Westchester New York kind of thing. The people in Rochester and Syracuse, NY, for example, pronounce the er, just like the New Englanders.

Harder to get rid of, and more funny to a lot of people when I first arrived in Maryland are the "all" words like ball, call, tall that I say bawl, cawl, tawl but I've worked on that too and it is less pronounced now...at least, I hope I don't "tawk" like that "anymaw."

I was really interested in the soda responses which brings me to another Tennessee question. I love Coca Cola. You can't bring me Pepsi and pass it off as Coke. If a restaurant only has Pepsi products, I have wawtuh, er, water or a Mountain Dew (I know, I know, invented in Knoxville), But, I have heard that Coca Cola tastes different in different regions of the country, that Coca Cola has a different recipe for Classic Coke depending on whether you live in the north, south, west or middle of the country. It's described as level of sweetness. They tell me it's the bottled and canned Coca Cola with the different recipes, not necessarily the kind you get at a restaurant so in my work travels I might not have noticed it. So, for those of you who have moved to Tennessee from the northeast, west or even another country, and who can tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke, did the Coca Cola you buy in the store taste different to you when you first arrived in Tennessee? Also, if you ever worked for Coca Cola, do you know if the different recipes/different regions story is true?

Oh yeah, and I still think Dr Pepper is carbonated prune juice.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:41 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
I, on the other hand love prun, er, Dr Pepper. Actually, I kind of like prune juice.

How about "idjit" (id jit) for idiot? Anyone else use that?

Old 02-23-2007, 07:45 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You mean, like soder for soda? It's soduh.

I had the opposite problem - nevuh, evuh, wawtuh, sistuh (never, ever, water, sister) when I had just left NY 11 years ago but I think I don't do that now and I hear it when some one else does do it. And I want to add that, that's only a New York City/ Lon Gisland/ Westchester New York kind of thing. The people in Rochester and Syracuse, NY, for example, pronounce the er, just like the New Englanders.

Harder to get rid of, and more funny to a lot of people when I first arrived in Maryland are the "all" words like ball, call, tall that I say bawl, cawl, tawl but I've worked on that too and it is less pronounced now...at least, I hope I don't "tawk" like that "anymaw."

I was really interested in the soda responses which brings me to another Tennessee question. I love Coca Cola. You can't bring me Pepsi and pass it off as Coke. If a restaurant only has Pepsi products, I have wawtuh, er, water or a Mountain Dew (I know, I know, invented in Knoxville), But, I have heard that Coca Cola tastes different in different regions of the country, that Coca Cola has a different recipe for Classic Coke depending on whether you live in the north, south, west or middle of the country. It's described as level of sweetness. They tell me it's the bottled and canned Coca Cola with the different recipes, not necessarily the kind you get at a restaurant so in my work travels I might not have noticed it. So, for those of you who have moved to Tennessee from the northeast, west or even another country, and who can tell the difference between Pepsi and Coke, did the Coca Cola you buy in the store taste different to you when you first arrived in Tennessee? Also, if you ever worked for Coca Cola, do you know if the different recipes/different regions story is true?

Oh yeah, and I still think Dr Pepper is carbonated prune juice.
I've never heard or noticed that Coke tastes different depending on the region of the country. However, Coke does does taste different in other countries. In Canada, for example, Coke is still sweetened with sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. So every once in a while you'll find some enterprising Canadians selling Canadian Coke on eBay to us Americans who crave The Real Thing. And it's worth every dime!

Old 02-23-2007, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 17,980 times
Default subs

hiknapster.... my favorite subs in the area is Jersey Mike's... there are a couple of locations in Knoxville.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:33 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,077 times
Augusta, you made me chuckle with your last sentence there! That was funny!

Bless your heart, sweetie.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:37 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,077 times
I dated a guy from Boston once who had daughters, named Heather and Teresa, but the way he said it was: Heatha and Theresar.

That was the only memorable thing about him.

Old 02-23-2007, 03:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The people in Rochester and Syracuse, NY, for example, pronounce the er, just like the New Englanders.
Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

New Englanders try to avoid all "r"s if at all possible.

Believe me. For 34 years I pahked my cah in Hahvahd yahd.

TinaL: I must get to Jersey Mike's immediately! Thanks for the tip!

Old 02-24-2007, 05:35 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I've never heard or noticed that Coke tastes different depending on the region of the country. However, Coke does does taste different in other countries. In Canada, for example, Coke is still sweetened with sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup.
Ahhhhhh, very interesting. I just erroneously guessed it might be a more or less sugar regional difference.

But now I have another Tennessee question - fruit tea - not just peach, right? I hear that's popular (peach tea) in the South. I'm quite fond of raspberry iced tea. And we are talking about iced not hot tea when we say fruit tea, correct? (I think I can figure it out in the store, it's the "eatin' places" and in people's homes where I want to get it right.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee