Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 09:34 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,212 times

Advertisements

Is it pronounced TAZ-well or T-AY-zwell? Anyways- whats up with this area? Any info? Looks and sound nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2006, 02:29 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,489 times
Default not sure but have been using Tay-zwell

While my husband and I were looking around the area, it seemed a bit run down and very rural. not much caught our eye to make it look interesting. Ended up buying property near Rogersville which is very nice. In fact will be moving down next year and building on it.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 6,853 times
Default Looking at land in TAZEWELL

So the area is run down huh. Is there at least a decent grocery and shopping? What did the downtown area look like. I am looking to buy some land in TN and saw some for sale on Ebay in Taz. 7 acres for 35 grand. Is that too much to pay for this area? We don't mind if there is not much to do directly in the city but it would be nice if there was a decent grocery/kmart type store for the necessities.

Thanks,

Ro

Old 08-05-2006, 07:21 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,489 times
Default You really should drive around the area

I seem to remember a grocery store, but we went through in april '05' looking at property. did not make much of an impression, so moved on. We bought 6.25 ac. for $5000.00 an acre. you really need to see the property before buying. its not worth the money if it is mostly mountain. also quite alot of the areas have no restrictions and you could be next to a junkyard.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:19 AM

5 posts, read 32,950 times
Default Tazewell vs. anywhere

I know this forum is old, but for anyone else looking up info about Tazewell, it is basically a dump! There is nothing really there. Look in places like Greeneville, Tn, or at least Jefferson City! I moved to near Jefferson City 10 years ago from a large city.... east Tn is a culture shock from any somewhat cosmopolitan, halfway intelligent, slightly sophisticated area. Nothing can prepare you. We are in a DRY COUNTY!!! Tazewell may not be in one, I don't know. Do you know what that means? Basically, restaurants are not allowed to serve liquor, so don't even THINK of going out and having an elegant meal with a drink (unless you consider wine coolers and beers sophisticated enough; sometimes they will allow a license that allows a restaurant to serve these.) Some dry counties do not allow liquor stores - uh, they call them "package stores" here because God forbid that you are seen holding alcohol that isn't "packaged" in a brown bag. OMG - it is SOOOOOOOO barren! And speaking of elegant meals, forget it - closest good restaurants are basically in Knoxville from here, except for "Fuji Sushi" in Morristown and a couple of isolated others. Anyway, unless you like living in an isolated, unsophisticated, uneducated area, don't move near here! Tullahoma sounds WAY more hopeful!!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 32,950 times
Default Tazewell

Oh, yeah - by the way, it's "Taz" like "Jazz" - Taz-well.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:26 PM

712 posts, read 1,487,346 times
Yes Tazewell is in a dry county, Claiborne. There really arent any restaurants in Tazewell that would be harmed by this policy, however. There is a Mcdonalds, Hardees, Sonic, a drive in place called Frostie Mug, and one sit down place called Old Town Grill. Other restaurants have tried to open, but there isnt enough population to support it. Mcdonalds is the place to be on Friday nights for teenagers, there literally is nowhere else for them to go.

It is a very rural place and "downtown" really doesnt exist. If you are coming from a metropolitan area of any kind, it is likely to be a culture shock, and if you want to drink alcohol in restaurants or go to a liquor store anywhere close, you will be disappointed.

If you really want a slow pace of life in a very rural place, you can find cheap land. Two things, however.
1) if you have a problem with mobile homes, you shouldnt expect to be able to get very far away from one. And the folks in this area strictly are against any restrictions on the use of land, so if you are used to zoning and neighborhood restrictions......
2) if you are thinking of buying commercial land and starting a business, good luck. There is one major business owner in the area, which happens to own virtually all of the usable commercial vacant land and will not sell to anyone.

Finally, the county as a whole is pretty corrupt and the sheriff's dept. has become a disgrace to the area.

Having said all of that, the people in that area are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. And the education up through high school is fine, its just that most people around here dont go to college as that generally means moving away.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:52 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,337,159 times
I pronounce it Taz well. Although, I have heard natives say Taze well. It has to do with the accents. Blount County is pronounced Blunt County. I got corrected on that a few times.

Tazwell is not the nicest area. Dumpy to me.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:32 AM

9 posts, read 27,794 times
Hi, i had some questions, is there a hotel or anything else in Tazewell ? and how u can travel from Knoxville to Tazewell without car ? any possibilities , perhaps Greyhound or train ?

thxs for your kind help

Old 07-08-2008, 07:19 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times

Tazewell has a couple thousand residents! So no, there is not a hotel or bus or train service. It would be considered a fairly rural area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee