Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 12:39 PM

74 posts, read 295,281 times

Advertisements

Just wondering...

I was born/raised in Tennessee, but have been in Colorado for last 10 years.

My DH and I are considering returning to TN and although we still have family in Nashville/Middle TN area, the area is no longer what it used to be.

Any suggestions on best places to settle??
Any places to avoid?
General opinions on the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 12:51 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makupfool View Post
Just wondering...

My DH and I are considering returning to TN and although we still have family in Nashville/Middle TN area, the area is no longer what it used to be.

Any places to avoid?
You'll probably get a variety of answers.

However, you need to be a little more specific. Are you looking for good schools? What kind of housing costs? Jobs? Do you want to live in a city or out in the country? How close to Nashville do you need to be?

Old 03-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
You'll probably get a variety of answers.

However, you need to be a little more specific. Are you looking for good schools? What kind of housing costs? Jobs? Do you want to live in a city or out in the country? How close to Nashville do you need to be?
Schools are not important as my youngest graduated high school last semester. She is considering attending college in TN, but is still undecided.

We would be looking in the 250k-375k range.

My dh has a job with Big Blue that he can work from any location-not an issue. For me, I do mostly accounts payable, an can pay bills for anyone anywhere.

I am a city girl by nature but wouldnt mind the outskirts. I would like to have at least an acre or even up to 5-10 acres but not necessary. Ya see, I have been living in a hous where neighbors are so close we could spit on each others windows; not what I was used to.

The important things to me are city water, no septic tanks and relatively close to interstates etc.

We have family in Franklin, South Nashville, and Knoxville, so we are considering many areas, it is just tough since the areas I was used to are no longer what I was used to.

We last lived in Donelson area and I grew up allover, South Nashvillle (Woodbine area) to Hendersonville, then to Antioch. I graduated from Antioch High School (old building on Blue Hole Road).

Hope this gives enough info anyone to give their thoughts.

Thank you in advance!

Old 03-18-2007, 03:32 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,211,854 times
Are you saying you've ruled Franklin out? I wasn't sure; or whether you were just saying you have family there.

Old 03-18-2007, 03:40 PM

No, but I usually find it too 'rich' for my taste and it seems very crowded...

Old 03-18-2007, 04:23 PM

Well, since you're all over the map (literally), I might suggest making a list of the twenty or so things that are important to you and then ranking them into "must have / very desirable / nice to have but not absolutely required." Then get out a map of Middle Tennessee and get the names of the towns or counties along the interstate highways. You could make it into a grid with the things wanted on the side and the town names across the top. Then I would do a Google search for each of the town and get the basic infomation of each of the towns. You might not find some of the specifics you're looking for; in that case just take your best guess. Put a check mark in the grid. See if there's one or two towns that comes closest to meeting your needs. Is there an area that's worth a closer look?

I'm going to suggest looking at Clarksville just because I'm orginally from Clarksville and think it's a nice small city. It also has a nice state university there if that would interest your daughter. You might also consider one of the outlying areas of Rutherford County, or Sumner County.

Last edited by alleycat; 03-18-2007 at 05:34 PM..

Old 03-18-2007, 07:06 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,099 times
Quote:
Just wondering...

Any places to avoid?
Have you looked into Mt. Juliet? Very nice homes just east of Nashville. Check out some of the places for sale on realtor.com.

And I'd vote for Vanderbilt for your daughter!

Old 03-18-2007, 07:44 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Schools are not important as my youngest graduated high school last semester. She is considering attending college in TN, but is still undecided.

We would be looking in the 250k-375k range.

My dh has a job with Big Blue that he can work from any location-not an issue. For me, I do mostly accounts payable, an can pay bills for anyone anywhere.

I am a city girl by nature but wouldnt mind the outskirts. I would like to have at least an acre or even up to 5-10 acres but not necessary. Ya see, I have been living in a hous where neighbors are so close we could spit on each others windows; not what I was used to.

The important things to me are city water, no septic tanks and relatively close to interstates etc.

We have family in Franklin, South Nashville, and Knoxville, so we are considering many areas, it is just tough since the areas I was used to are no longer what I was used to.

We last lived in Donelson area and I grew up allover, South Nashvillle (Woodbine area) to Hendersonville, then to Antioch. I graduated from Antioch High School (old building on Blue Hole Road).

Hope this gives enough info anyone to give their thoughts.

Thank you in advance!
Since you have family in Nashville and Knoxville, how about living around Cookeville? For your price range you can get acreage even in the city (with sewer system). It's got Tennessee's fastest-growing state university (Tennessee Tech) and is only an hour from the Nashville airport. It's right on I-40 and has things you'd find in a big city (symphony, art galleries, a variety of playhouses, good restaurants, lots of shopping) minus the traffic, crime and high taxes.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:12 AM

24 posts, read 123,407 times
have you considered Crossville?

Old 03-19-2007, 07:38 AM

I wouldn't leave Chattanooga and the surrounding areas out of the mix. In many ways, it's a more attractive place to live now than ever before. This is a view from a visitor however; I've never lived there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee