Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 08:28 PM

37 posts, read 116,819 times

Advertisements

Hello every one.
Keven(me)
Chris(my wife)
Thank you for reading this post. SORRY it went so long.
I will first start with describing us. Chris and I are from the Chicago area. We are in our lower 40's with a grown child (Steve) that will probably not be moving with us. I am a carpenter and my wife is applying for social security due to a back condition/surgery. We are not into the going out party scene. We are mostly just stay home, invite friends over, and do our own thing kind of people. I drink socially Chris doesn't drink at all. We don't go to church around here but we DO believe in GOD. My wife loves to garden (flowers and vegetables), she hopes to get a greenhouse to start her plants early. Chris also does some really nice crafts that I tell her she should sell. I love fishing. I Mostly fish for largemouth bass,northern pike,crappies and catfish. Mainly because I live on a lake that is stocked with these fish but before I moved here I would mainly fish for largemouth's. I want to get into fly fishing mainly for trout so my one requirement for our property is to have a stream that has trout for me to chase. If I can find some property that has a stream but no trout I was thinking I could buy some stocker trout from the state or where ever you get em(hatchery) and put them into my area of the stream. We are honest caring people that would give you the shirts off our back if you needed it. We believe in good neighbors and just can't get that here any more. We have lived at the beginning of a 38 home dead end street for 23 yrs. Every neighbor has to pass our home to get to theirs. When some drive by and/if they wave they just stick their hand into the air and stare forward so as to not make eye contact with anyone because they might have to stop and talk to someone. (our road is a single lane with a 15 mph speed limit) It's the newer people moving here. COLD wave. We are sick of it. That is enough about us for now, I need to get into our search criterea.

$90,000'sh +/- to spend on land with no house (needs UT's available)
$165,000'sh +/- to spend with house
5-10 acre minimum semi secluded and wooded
year round stream hopefully with trout
mountain views, maybe bluffs or rock croppings on property also
About 30 miles to a wal-mart type store, lowes would be cool too.
I am a carpenter and am always building or doing something.
I would like to work full time but I know how things are. Part time would be enough for me/us since I have now been living on unemployement since Nov. 14th. I do want to work even if I didn't need to.
My wife wants to grow things and peddle them at markets or something.
We would love to have a small town corner grocery store a little closer. I think it would be great to have a local little store to go to and see the neighbors and get to say hello. Maybe have to pick up our mail there would be the best. I guess I will send this post out and then figure out what info I missed. Thank to all. Here we go!!!!
Keven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 08:42 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
Keven

Welcome to TN, the friendliest state around. I am in the East TN mountains and I love it. The towns closest to me are Mountain City and Elizabethton. I like both of these areas. Jobs would be better closer to Elizabethton. We have lots of lakes in the area and many people love to garden here so it sounds like TN might be the place. Do as much research as possible and come for a visit. Make sure it is what you are expecting.

I'm sorry I can't be of any great help. My DH and I live in our own little world on our mountain. I'm sure you will have many responses.

Good luck

Lisa

Old 03-06-2009, 09:31 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevenlm View Post
Hello every one.
Keven(me)
Chris(my wife)
Thank you for reading this post. SORRY it went so long.
I will first start with describing us. Chris and I are from the Chicago area. We are in our lower 40's with a grown child (Steve) that will probably not be moving with us. I am a carpenter and my wife is applying for social security due to a back condition/surgery. We are not into the going out party scene. We are mostly just stay home, invite friends over, and do our own thing kind of people. I drink socially Chris doesn't drink at all. We don't go to church around here but we DO believe in GOD. My wife loves to garden (flowers and vegetables), she hopes to get a greenhouse to start her plants early. Chris also does some really nice crafts that I tell her she should sell. I love fishing. I Mostly fish for largemouth bass,northern pike,crappies and catfish. Mainly because I live on a lake that is stocked with these fish but before I moved here I would mainly fish for largemouth's. I want to get into fly fishing mainly for trout so my one requirement for our property is to have a stream that has trout for me to chase. If I can find some property that has a stream but no trout I was thinking I could buy some stocker trout from the state or where ever you get em(hatchery) and put them into my area of the stream. We are honest caring people that would give you the shirts off our back if you needed it. We believe in good neighbors and just can't get that here any more. We have lived at the beginning of a 38 home dead end street for 23 yrs. Every neighbor has to pass our home to get to theirs. When some drive by and/if they wave they just stick their hand into the air and stare forward so as to not make eye contact with anyone because they might have to stop and talk to someone. (our road is a single lane with a 15 mph speed limit) It's the newer people moving here. COLD wave. We are sick of it. That is enough about us for now, I need to get into our search criterea.

$90,000'sh +/- to spend on land with no house (needs UT's available)
$165,000'sh +/- to spend with house
5-10 acre minimum semi secluded and wooded
year round stream hopefully with trout
mountain views, maybe bluffs or rock croppings on property also
About 30 miles to a wal-mart type store, lowes would be cool too.
I am a carpenter and am always building or doing something.
I would like to work full time but I know how things are. Part time would be enough for me/us since I have now been living on unemployement since Nov. 14th. I do want to work even if I didn't need to.
My wife wants to grow things and peddle them at markets or something.
We would love to have a small town corner grocery store a little closer. I think it would be great to have a local little store to go to and see the neighbors and get to say hello. Maybe have to pick up our mail there would be the best. I guess I will send this post out and then figure out what info I missed. Thank to all. Here we go!!!!
Keven
Lots of p[laces fit your description. You need to pick a spot and visit it. Talk to locals ask how they feel about newcomers. Investigate. I have friend who loves where he lives but in well over 10 years in TH he knows he is still a visitor not a local to his neighbors. On the other hand I have friends who fit right in with ease. Check the areas carefully, as dreams can become nightmares or lovely realities.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:47 AM

14,967 posts, read 9,794,276 times
To find what your looking for... the counties along the south east ridge fit. This area has the Cherokee National Forest (southern) and the Great Smoky Natinal Park. McMinn County has the Hiawasse River, with many feeder creeks, Monroe county has the Tennessee River. and Blount co. has the Little River and the Smokies... with the various "prongs" for fishing.

Lots of opportunities for your perfect place... but let me remind you that the higher you go (mountain views) the less water you have(streams are smaller).
You might find living on a "lake" (impoundment) might work best for you. When my wife and I first began our "perfect search" we found in very short order we needed to be more specific with priorities. Without our "matrix" we were all over the place and not finding what fit. ...Even though my wife is a 25 yr real estate agent, we were too emotional ( oooh.... aaah) type of searching.

We are in Blount Co. (Townsend) I'm a seasonal resident and spend my winters (mostly) in Fla. I get all the Bass fishing I need from my pond in Fla(lucky me). Although in Fla I fish primarily in salt water I do enjoy fly fishing in Tn.

If I was picking for you... I'd look at Monroe County.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:52 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,127,317 times
I just moved to the Bristol area a few months ago, and if you are looking for friendly Bristol certainly fits. Everybody here smiles and talks to you, at the bank, the grocery store, the gas station, the county building, just amazing how friendly people are here. I love it!
South Holston Lake is nearby, and lots and lots of creeks. I understand the fishing is supposed to be pretty good. There is a fly fshing thread in the tri-cities forum if you want to search for it, get a little more info.
As an added bonus, living in the Bristol area and shopping over in VA saves on the whopping 9% sales tax TN has.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:18 AM

Thank you everybody for your feedback so far.
Keven

Old 03-24-2009, 06:07 PM

Default location update

We have found some land in Grainger county, thorn Hill area. We have a few questions please.
1)How long of a drive to knoxville.
2)Are there going to be residential construction job opportunities within 1 hr drive of Thorn hill area. (I have 22 yrs exp.) How about low pay level service jobs within 1/2 hr drive?
3)Indian creek fishing? any info. I have searched and cant find a thing. Is this river toxic or something. It feeds to the clinch river.
4)Are there any forum-ers(is this a word) here living around the Thorn Hill area? Are there many outsiders living in this area? Any resentment?
5)What is the main area church?
6)How is the closest hospital?
7)What is police and fire response times like?
8)Do the locals accept new, helpful, mind our own business kind of people?

I will have more questions but I want to say thank you to all that take time to read and/or post to my questions.
Keven

Old 03-28-2009, 07:09 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevenlm View Post
We have found some land in Grainger county, thorn Hill area. We have a few questions please.
2)Are there going to be residential construction job opportunities within 1 hr drive of Thorn hill area. (I have 22 yrs exp.) How about low pay level service jobs within 1/2 hr drive?
3)Indian creek fishing? any info. I have searched and cant find a thing. Is this river toxic or something. It feeds to the clinch river.
4)Are there any forum-ers(is this a word) here living around the Thorn Hill area? Are there many outsiders living in this area? Any resentment?
5)What is the main area church?
6)How is the closest hospital?
7)What is police and fire response times like?
8)Do the locals accept new, helpful, mind our own business kind of people?

I will have more questions but I want to say thank you to all that take time to read and/or post to my questions.
Keven
I know alittle of Thorn Hill, if I am wrong, please someone correct me. Thorn Hill is rural, but nice. Morristown I would tihink is the closest for jobs and a hospital,I am in Grainger, not far from you.There are I am sure more than one church there in Thorn Hill There are many where I am.Knoxville I would say an hour away give an take a few..The peolpe here are very friendly.I am not sure of the Indian river, sorry, but there is Cherokee park in Morristown, and I have seen folks go fishing off spots on highway 25.There is also a spot to get water from the mountain right on 25.We have done it many times.I came from NJ and peolpe have been nice to me, I have only met 2 peolpe that were kind of jerks.I know I only helped alittle, sorry,but just tried to give alittle bit of info. There are peolpe on here I am sure who will help more , good luck to you. I wish you the best!

Old 03-28-2009, 09:29 AM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,955 times

About an hour to downtown Knoxville.

2)Are there going to be residential construction job opportunities within 1 hr drive of Thorn hill area. (I have 22 yrs exp.) How about low pay level service jobs within 1/2 hr drive? Probably slim pickings for the time being. The Blaine area in western Grainger Co. was seeing quite a bit of new construction before the recession.

3)Indian creek fishing? any info. I have searched and cant find a thing. Is this river toxic or something. It feeds to the clinch river. The EPA rates Indian Creek's water quality as "good." FWIW, there are 15 places listed in Grainger Co. for bank fishing but Indian Creek's not one of them:
http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/bank/TakeToBank_web.pdf (broken link)
WATERS | US EPA

5)What is the main area church? Southern Baptist.
church, thorn hill, tn - Google Maps

6)How is the closest hospital? The closest one is in Tazewell, about 20 minutes away.
http://www.healthgrades.com/hospital...48fae6a6440057

About 30 minutes away, Morristown has two larger hospitals that you can also check out on HealthGrades.com.

Last edited by kamoshika; 03-28-2009 at 09:53 AM..

Old 03-28-2009, 02:32 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,659,902 times
You might find some construction jobs around Mary Chapel, Tate Springs. There was a lot of development going on there. I had to take a detour off 11W last year and was stunned by the condos and housing that's been built on the lake. I don't know how much is still going on with the change in the economy.
That area is called Bean Station or Lakeway.
You might find some service jobs in Rutledge. That's a small town with some decent services. Doctors, car dealerships, small grocery, etc. There is also a strip along 25E near there that may offer jobs. Clayton Homes has several plants out that way.
You'll find a lot of different churches around. There are several in Bean Station and more in Rutledge and along 11W.
I can get from West Knoxville to my friend's farm in Mooresburg in 1 hour, 25 minutes using highway 11W. That's much faster than I-40. 11W is a pleasant, pretty drive.
Lake Cherokee does not have year round water and the streams feeding into it can be completely dry in the summer. But you can find other streams close by, going toward Tazewell, that will offer prime fishing.
You'll find some small craft shows (and some big ones) out that way. Bean Station, Mooresburg, Rogersville all have harvest days and spring craft shows. Those are a good way to get started selling crafts. Grainger County has Tomato Festival in July.
Grainger County Tomato Festival Home
11W has it's own version of the World's Longest Yard Sale. us11antiquealley.com
Rogersville has a lot of crafts people and a wonderful festival every year.
Rogersville Heritage
If you're courteous, open and accepting of others, you'll find they'll be the same to you.
That's pretty country out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee