Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 PM

80 posts, read 258,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
It's kind of funny that Tennessee is being painted as some Godforsaken, crime-riddled black hole of a state. I see it as overwhelmingly wholesome, friendly and in many cases, so 30 years ago in terms of how trusting people are and how genuinely nice. Maybe even more than that.

I'm sure not every square foot of TN is as I describe above and I've heard fearsome things about Memphis, but Tennessee is not some urban mecca of fear and semiautomatic weapons. That's just silly. I live here. I'm getting ready to drive from the middle to the east in a few minutes. I'm not one bit scared and we will be two females riding in a little white convertible with the top down traveling on back roads I've never used before (getting the teenager some driving experience before she goes for her driver's license test soon).
I think it's funnier that it gets painted as the land of milk and honey. Hardly anyone mentions the high crime here, and compared to MOST states, it is high crime. Sure, you can sit there and say, well, it doesn't "look" as bad as Florida to me, or wherever. It's not the worst state. It doesn't mean it has the worst neighborhoods. It does mean Tennessee generally has a lot of violent crime. In the neighborhood I grew up in, there were murders, roberries, burglaries, and drug dealers - and it was a small neighborhood out in the country. It may surprise you that Tennessee ranks high in crime, but it doesn't surprise me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 02:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
In the neighborhood I grew up in, there were murders, roberries, burglaries, and drug dealers - and it was a small neighborhood out in the country.
That's what I always tell people. I think I actually said it in this thread, or some other. Don't mistake rural live for peaceful pastures. I grew up in the country, too.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:16 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychop1 View Post
I think it's funnier that it gets painted as the land of milk and honey. Hardly anyone mentions the high crime here, and compared to MOST states, it is high crime. Sure, you can sit there and say, well, it doesn't "look" as bad as Florida to me, or wherever. It's not the worst state. It doesn't mean it has the worst neighborhoods. It does mean Tennessee generally has a lot of violent crime. In the neighborhood I grew up in, there were murders, roberries, burglaries, and drug dealers - and it was a small neighborhood out in the country. It may surprise you that Tennessee ranks high in crime, but it doesn't surprise me.
Ok,

First things first, it all depends on where you live. Nashville is awesome, but it has the usual big city issues, just not as apparent as they keep things pretty well contained to certain areas of town. Memphis is a place I wouldn't advise anyone to move to. Knoxville is dead when UT is out of town, and when it is in town its crazy busy.

I'm from TN, NW part to be exact. I've lived all over that state, I love it there, but my job has taken me elsewhere. Some parts are great, it is definatley not a land of milk and honey by any means, but high crime, I think not.

I lived in Michigan for 5 years, Tennessee crime has nothing on that state. I had freinds interested in moving down there, I always suggested Nashville if they were looking for a bigger area to move to. I'd move back there if I could, but jobs in my field rarely open up there.

Old 07-20-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Ok,

First things first, it all depends on where you live. Nashville is awesome, but it has the usual big city issues, just not as apparent as they keep things pretty well contained to certain areas of town. Memphis is a place I wouldn't advise anyone to move to. Knoxville is dead when UT is out of town, and when it is in town its crazy busy.

I'm from TN, NW part to be exact. I've lived all over that state, I love it there, but my job has taken me elsewhere. Some parts are great, it is definatley not a land of milk and honey by any means, but high crime, I think not.

I lived in Michigan for 5 years, Tennessee crime has nothing on that state. I had freinds interested in moving down there, I always suggested Nashville if they were looking for a bigger area to move to. I'd move back there if I could, but jobs in my field rarely open up there.
I also lived in Michigan. I was in cultural shock when I found out how peaceful it was. With the exception of Detroit and Flint, Michigan has no crime compared to Tennessee.

Old 07-21-2009, 04:34 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
In searching for a new home, I've found that Murfreesboro has considerably more assaults than any other place I've looked at, and a higher crime index than New York City.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:09 AM

710 posts, read 1,961,790 times
It's a shame you are stuck here in this state which seems to offer you nothing but trouble and misery, Psychop.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:12 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,392,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychop1 View Post
I also lived in Michigan. I was in cultural shock when I found out how peaceful it was. With the exception of Detroit and Flint, Michigan has no crime compared to Tennessee.

No crime, when was the last time you were back? Kalamazoo, Benton Harbor, Grand Rapids, all of those cities are having high crime rates.

Tennessee has a lot of drug problems, but if you leave well enough alone, it'll usually leave you alone. I'm not sure what part of the state you live in, but there are other options from where you live I'm sure. I've been all over the country, and each region has its own issues. If you want to move somewhere with no crime, I'd suggest you buy a 1000 acre farm in Montana. Problem is, you'd still have crime there to.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Yep. Many of TN's problems stem from 26, 75, 81 and 40 running through it. But there are also a lot of petty crimes - these tend to be concentrated in rural and urban areas. If you're that freaked out about crime, I'd suggest buying suburban (think Farragut, Franklin, Signal Mountain or Collierville) and relax.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
No crime, when was the last time you were back? Kalamazoo, Benton Harbor, Grand Rapids, all of those cities are having high crime rates.

Tennessee has a lot of drug problems, but if you leave well enough alone, it'll usually leave you alone. I'm not sure what part of the state you live in, but there are other options from where you live I'm sure. I've been all over the country, and each region has its own issues. If you want to move somewhere with no crime, I'd suggest you buy a 1000 acre farm in Montana. Problem is, you'd still have crime there to.
Now go compare any of those cities to Nashville in any crime statistic database, and get back to me about which cities have a high crime index.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordy View Post
It's a shame you are stuck here in this state which seems to offer you nothing but trouble and misery, Psychop.
I never said that. I love it in Tennessee. On the other hand, when someone asks you if there is anything to complain about, why lie and say "nope, everything's perfect"???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee