Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:11 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
That too, but I thought it was a reference to stumbling across someones 'alternative tobacco' crop.
That is a big part of it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 11:11 AM

375 posts, read 1,096,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
Hey, I'm one of those suburbanites thinking about getting a place with a little more land around me. Could somebody please expound on the ''how dangerous the middle of nowhere can be''?
OK, here are a few ways. I'm going to go with the three that seem to shock my old college buds from more urban areas the most.

1) Nature - it isn't all butterflies and sunsets. I live just barely within the city limits of a tiny rural town and over the years I've had to take out rattlesnakes twice to get to my mailbox. They're good barbecued. There are a wide variety of snakes, spiders, bees, wasps, hornets, etc. that will happily live in your crawlspace or under your eaves. Gardening means planting double to allow for the wildlife damage, the birds plant poison oak all over the place and I have a chronic infestation of flying squirrels in my roof. It's not a nightmare but it's not like spending a week at a state park either. You have to learn what is venomous and what isn't, what's aggressive, likely to be carrying disease, etc., etc., and be willing to deal with it yourself.

2) Infrastructure. It won't be what you're used to. Resources are limited. Response times for law enforcement and EMS are going to be greater on average due to the small number of people covering a large area. In my case most of the law enforcement runs regular business hours and at night is "on call". We have one ambulance in the entire county and no hospital. Fire protection is all volunteer and they usually don't have the response time and/or equipment to save the structure they're called for, they prevent the fire from spreading. So basically any situation that has to be dealt with right now..... you're going to need to learn to do that yourself.

3) Social Structure. That may seem like an odd thing to put here but I've seen it bite more transplants than anything else. If you're in a truly rural area in Tennessee then the social structure is almost certainly based around a handful of extended families. Walk carefully. When you make an impression on one person, even if that person seems inconsequential, you are affecting how dozens or hundreds of others view you and in a rural area your immediate safety net is your neighbors, not the government. Maybe they notice that someone they don't know is loading all your best stuff up into a truck or that there's smoke coming out of your garage, maybe they don't.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:16 PM

10 posts, read 10,133 times
Well, if you want your house to be allowed to burn down because you didn't pay a lousy $75, move to South Fulton. The mayor, fire chief, and the cowardly scumbags on the so-called "fire department" did just that ... watched a family's home burn to the ground with their 3 dogs and a cat inside. Move somewhere else!

Old 10-08-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky53 View Post
Well, if you want your house to be allowed to burn down because you didn't pay a lousy $75, move to South Fulton. The mayor, fire chief, and the cowardly scumbags on the so-called "fire department" did just that ... watched a family's home burn to the ground with their 3 dogs and a cat inside. Move somewhere else!
South Fulton is a tiny, tiny town in the northwest corner of the state, near the KY border. We've never had any inquiries about it. I suspect that most people don't roll out of bed in the morning and exclaim, "I'm moving to South Fulton, Tennessee!" Generally, East TN, with the Great Smoky Mountains, and Nashville are the places most people clamber for.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:46 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
People live in South Fulton because they find Union City or Martin to be too crowded, or because they have some reason to live directly on the TN/KY state line. (It's literally a town divided in two with South Fulton as the TN half, and Fulton as the KY half)

Old 10-08-2010, 07:48 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
Tennessee is terrible! Dont move here! People talk funny. They drive slooow! They are constantly waving hello to you. It's very distracting! And all that fresh air! Your lungs wont be able to handle it! They can never remember your name. They will just call you sir/maam! And if they do remember a ladies name they seem to forget that she has been married for 30 years. Because they always call her Ms. Annie! And all the little old ladies always seem to be "blessing my heart!" Whats up with that? My heart is just fine thank you! Dont even get me started on the good ole boys and all them pick up trucks! Whats the matter? That 10 point buck and all that fishin tackle wont fit in your Lexus? And dont you dare blaspheme Dale Earnhart! Thems fightin words Yankee! And God forbid if a family member dies while youre on a diet! People here think you gonna starve to death! You ever seen so much food come into this house? And by the way. Whats that funny flag with the Stars and Bars you got flying from your double wide? I think I saw one in a history book once!
Dont move here! The culture shock will kill ya! Bless your heart!

Old 10-09-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Tennessee is terrible! Dont move here! People talk funny. They drive slooow! They are constantly waving hello to you. It's very distracting! And all that fresh air! Your lungs wont be able to handle it! They can never remember your name. They will just call you sir/maam! And if they do remember a ladies name they seem to forget that she has been married for 30 years. Because they always call her Ms. Annie! And all the little old ladies always seem to be "blessing my heart!" Whats up with that? My heart is just fine thank you! Dont even get me started on the good ole boys and all them pick up trucks! Whats the matter? That 10 point buck and all that fishin tackle wont fit in your Lexus? And dont you dare blaspheme Dale Earnhart! Thems fightin words Yankee! And God forbid if a family member dies while youre on a diet! People here think you gonna starve to death! You ever seen so much food come into this house? And by the way. Whats that funny flag with the Stars and Bars you got flying from your double wide? I think I saw one in a history book once!
Dont move here! The culture shock will kill ya! Bless your heart!
Oh, bless your heart Capt'n. That's good stuff, right there.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:32 AM

20 posts, read 44,327 times
and gawd forbid you ask for unsweetened tea!

Old 10-11-2010, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kndwallace View Post
Hardly. In fact it is standard to be asked if you want your tea sweet or unsweet.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:49 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kndwallace View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Hardly. In fact it is standard to be asked if you want your tea sweet or unsweet.

Your both right and wrong. LOL

It seems if a woman asks for unsweetened it is OK, 'cause we must be on a diet. LOL Anywhere near the big towns (like Knoxville) they are used to the outsiders who don't know about sweet tea as opposed to sweetened tea and ask how you want your tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee