Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 03:31 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times

Advertisements

They asked for suggestions of the best places to live. But thanks for your opinion too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 11:09 PM

97 posts, read 271,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sally'smom View Post
...for a month before I actually decide exactly where to settle. Right now I am leaning towards the job that would be towards the middle of the state. I will have to travel extensively so I can visit all of you, maybe we can have a party! Anyone have suggestions of best places to live Nashville to NC border, north upper half?
Sally's Mom,

How much latitude do you have in where you live for this job? From your original post, I thought you needed to be in West, TN. Now you are willing to look at Middle and East, too.

Will all of your travel be by car or will you be flying some, too? Some of our major cities have a better selection of airlines and flights than others.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:36 PM

35 posts, read 109,054 times
Wingz, Sorry if I was confusing. First I applied and interviewed for a job based out of Memphis. Next the company had an unexpected opening based out of the Nashville area and I was asked if I would consider that area. I said yes. I haven't been offered the job yet , but fingers crossed I will be. The job will have extensive travel, first by car in the Nashville to NC border. So I could realistically live anywhere in that area. I will also have a fair amount of airline travel, so if you have opinions about TN airports lay it on me. I have only flown in and out of the Memphis airport and don't remember anything bad about the experience.

Hiknapster, I have been to Knoxville several times. Love UT's campus! Knoxville always seems to be doing some sort of road construction and from what I remember several times the traffic was horrible. Maybe it was just me, I currently don't live in a big city or have to pass through one to get to work. I leave home at 5:30 am, so trucks are usually my biggest complaint (I travel I-75). I get a little traffic when I get off of work at 4:30, but usually nothing major unless there's an accident. So tell me where to live to beat the traffic, or correct me if I'm wrong. By the way I can make sweet tea, my friend likes it. So I'll be visiting you, too and I'll bring the tea and dessert.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:57 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Is your employer paying air travel? If not, the only choice is to locate close to the Nashville or Memphis airports. The other three (Chatty & Knox & TRI) have significant added costs and more layovers.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:18 PM

Yes the employer will be paying for air travel that is work related. Still it is nice to know about added costs. We have that problem too with CVG. Way more expensive to fly out of Northern Kentucky than it is in Louisville, Lexington or even Dayton or Indianapolis. The only time I fly out of "my" airport is when it is on someone else's dime.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I don't know when you were last here. We actually closed down I-40 for over a year and had no problems. I know, because I had to drive I-640, the detour, ever day. It's open now and everything is running beautifully.

I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to traffic but there just isn't any here. Now, if there is an accident, that could be different, but I know all the back roads so I just get off the highway.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:38 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
IF we could have afforded to buy in Eastern Tennessee, I would have moved to the Johnson City/Greeneville area. I fell in love with the area around my college what seems a billion years ago. I have fond memories of flying in/out of tri-cities airport when it was a one room terminal that was generally closed when I was there. Baggage claim was the truck that took it off the plane and we walked across the tarmac to claim our bags.

I know, it's very different now. Looking at my college on google earth, so much has changed about the campus itself and the surrounding area is so built up. But I can still remember swimming in the "river" that was not much more than a VERY fast moving, EXTREMELY cold stream with a shale beach on one bank and a stone mountain face on the other. Nice people and beautiful country.

And I think when we get down to our area of TN, I'm going to have to have a get-together of all the friends I've made on this forum.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:30 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Nashville is/was much cheaper to fly out of than Memphis. We used to drive from Memphis to Little Rock or Nashville to catch a flight. Crazy stuff.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:33 PM

You made swimming in the river sound idyllic. I use to swim in the Ohio river as a kid and it was nothing like you described. I doubt anyone at all does it now. Hiknapster, it nice to know you don't have traffic problems anymore. On more than one occasion I have run into them in Knoxville, either heading to the mountains or the beach. Maybe I was traveling at the same time as everyone else or maybe there was an accident. I'm willing to give it a try. Unfortunately I don't know the back roads, but I can learn. It would be nice to have a little get together once we're all living in TN.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:24 PM

1,432 posts, read 3,844,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Is your employer paying air travel? If not, the only choice is to locate close to the Nashville or Memphis airports. The other three (Chatty & Knox & TRI) have significant added costs and more layovers.
Memphis is pretty pricey compared to Nashville too. Southwest is great for the prices at Nashville Int'l.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee