Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 AM

169 posts, read 318,169 times

Advertisements

I only cut trees down when they are close to the house because if hurricanes hit I don't want a pancake left and besides my cat loves critters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:54 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden phoenix View Post
I only cut trees down when they are close to the house because if hurricanes hit I don't want a pancake left and besides my cat loves critters.
Uh oh - will you miss them? hurricanes. I know I will - but my brother said I can visit him on Florida's coast when they come. No hurricanes in our neck of the woods. Now, there are occasional tornadoes - I'm sure Capt Dan can enlighten us both more as he's lived in our area for a long time.

As far as I know, I did some research, there haven't been many tornadoes but the last one about 5 years ago hit Jackson and they still haven't fixed all the damage. I couldn't find anything for Bethel Springs or Selmer.

BTW, I will crawl to Jackson before shopping at WallyWorld in Selmer.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:52 PM

Will have to go to Mempis for Costco. Closest BJ's is in GA. So you don't like Wally World? Must be a union person. They have Kroger's in Corinth, great road down there. Gas is cheaper as well. I stayed at the Comfort Inn down there and when I called asked if they took AAA and he said yes but when I arrived he decided to give me the cheapest rate, $20 off my reservation, but the mattress sucked as they do at most motels. Drove in a bad rainstorm for 5 hours on the way back. Talk about whiteouts. I thought snow was bad. Then I read after I came back that in rain you are not supposed to be on cruise control, oophs. Good for the next time. Spoke to the town hall, about the water and called Pickwick and I am sending in my $5. Getting an inspection to make sure everything is okay. Are you going to try to rent your place out until you move down?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:20 PM

House has been rented for 3 months already - was rented within 2 weeks of closing. There's a Piggly up 45 near Henderson, and 4 Kroger's in Jackson. My reasons for not liking Wallyworld are not union based as I am actually opposed to how unions work (although FOR the ORIGINAL concept) but my reasons are based on bullying tactics - of workers and of suppliers plus I have personal experience with a company that used to provide quality goods until they entered into a contract with Wallycrap and what they produce now is not worth the cloth they are cut from.

We had an inspection before we bought and have a rental/mgmt company we're happy with. We are on the other side of the highway and don't have town water/sewer - we've got a well and septic on 4 acres.

We didn't make it down to Corinth or Selmer, spent too much time at the house, checking out the property and the house and making arrangements with the mgmt co. We figured we'd be heading up to Jackson for most of our shopping - it's got everything I'll ever want. I've got to find a county extension or something like that - for classes/information on gardening and canning. It's been so long since I've done either, I've forgotten half of it - plus with canning, I'm sure things have changed enough safety-wise I'm going to need to get caught up. I also will want to take some college courses so I'll be checking out the extension division in Selmer. But that's 18 months away (17.5 now). We are in a countdown - I can't wait.

BTW, I'm a coupon shopper and BJ's and Costco (big box stores) don't save me anything. I do better with my coupons and sales. Besides, I'm planning on growing most of my produce (retirement isn't just to lounge around) and buying from the locals for what I don't.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 AM

FYI, I have an associate in horticulture and went to UGA for landscape architecture. It is surprising how company's cow tow to Wally World just to get into their store. I don't love them but use them. I don't clip so I don't run around. You can get enough info from the net on most anything extension will teach. Gotta have good soil for growing stuff. Start a compost. Before my house was listed I blended all my scrap and had thousands of red wigglers in the summer. Helpful gardener is one forum and gardenweb is another. You'll spend all night learning. I might ask for the name of the rental company if I don't sell my house before April.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:40 AM

GP, thanks for the gardening forum names. I'll check them out.

I used to subscribe to Organic Gardening and USED to have some of the books around. During one weeding out, before moving from RI to NYC, I donated them to the library. I've already got a plat set aside and a place for the compost heaps. I figured I'll let the big farms grow the corn (worms and space), and cabbage (slugs, ugh) while I will be thrilled with carrots, beans, peas, zukes, mellons and tomatoes (I've only ever had 1 horned worm on my tomatoes). Oh and grapes, I want a grape arbor; and fruit treas. If I find a bunch, I'm outa the tomato growing business! My husband keeps reminding me we are going there to RETIRE!!

OMG, I'm moving into the country when I freak at bugs and crawly things!

Old 05-17-2010, 05:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,683 times
Hello everyone!
Me and my family with two boys are looking to relocate near UT Martin. We are looking at purchasing a home with some acreage. My concern is what are the better neighborhoods around this area. I noticed Milan and Humboldt were suggested, are there any others? We are needing of course great schools! Any info would be great!!!!! THANKS!!!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:51 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballardn5 View Post
Hello everyone!
Me and my family with two boys are looking to relocate near UT Martin. We are looking at purchasing a home with some acreage. My concern is what are the better neighborhoods around this area. I noticed Milan and Humboldt were suggested, are there any others? We are needing of course great schools! Any info would be great!!!!! THANKS!!!!!
My daughter has a cute 2 br house for sale about 18 miles from Martin.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,071 times
Looking to move to bethel springs what is a good realiter I'm looking for 4 bedrooms and a min of two baths and a large lot min 2 acres if any one has any suggestions I;m open to them thanks shelly from mn

Old 03-10-2011, 05:17 AM

Shelley, the realtor I used has left to start her family. But I'm sure you can find someone in the area. In the meantime, do your own searches of the MLS. Right now there are several houses in the area that fit what you are looking for in several different price ranges, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee