Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:06 AM

393 posts, read 1,882,671 times

Advertisements

I know I want to live in either TN, or KY........I have a preference for Eastern TN, or just about any of the cute towns in KY. I am trying to stay focused on what life it really going to be like for me on a daily basis. I do want to see concerts in the park, some great parks, or a lake I can walk around, sit down have a picnic, read and watch the water.......Take walks, bike rides around the community, and greenway trails. It is essential that it has a good library, and low cost housing, so I can survive on my wages, w/o having to scrimp. As I am getting older I am finding myself NOT wanting lots of traffic, or if I go to a concert in the park, I don't feel comfortable in huge crowds. That kind of eliminates Louisville, Lexington, Knoxville, Nashville areas......!!! I think at this point I am looking for low level entertainment venues, and to be able to take art classes, or dance classes, or attend step classes would be a real plus. I still have to work for awhile so I will have to find an area I can find employment also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 03:22 AM

359 posts, read 1,638,017 times
You have pretty much described Kingsport. It sounds just like what you mentioned.

Old 05-28-2007, 04:32 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,241,038 times
Another idea would be to look for a town outside of one of the larger towns or cities. By that, I mean a place within a reasonable driving time to the city (in case you want to take part in one of the activities available there), but far enough out that the area hasn't grown as much as the so-called bedroom communities. For example, here in Middle Tennessee a place like Burns might fit your needs. It's located near a state park and lake, is rural, but is within an hours drive to downtown Nashville or to Franklin where there are classes, more restaurants, etc. There are others, I was just using Burns as an example. I'm sure there are similar places near Chattanooga or Knoxville or Cookeville.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:24 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,141,567 times
Sillygal, I too, would like to find a quiet location, low cost of living and able to live comfortably. I am in my mid-50's, female, single, and am tired of the hassles and expenses of living in south Florida. I miss the four seasons. I want to be close enough to medical facilities as I get older. I have two dogs and would need a small yard, fenced. My profession is horticulture and I am not sure about finding employment. I don't want to do nursery work, but I know alot about plant propagation and habitat gardening. Does anyone have any suggestions about places to live? I also love to hike and learn native plants. I love nature!

Old 05-28-2007, 07:47 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,241,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Sillygal, I too, would like to find a quiet location, low cost of living and able to live comfortably. I am in my mid-50's, female, single, and am tired of the hassles and expenses of living in south Florida. I miss the four seasons. I want to be close enough to medical facilities as I get older. I have two dogs and would need a small yard, fenced. My profession is horticulture and I am not sure about finding employment. I don't want to do nursery work, but I know alot about plant propagation and habitat gardening. Does anyone have any suggestions about places to live? I also love to hike and learn native plants. I love nature!
A couple of ideas. You might check out working for the Holtkamp Greenhouse folks in Nashville, or working at the Opryland Hotel (they have huge indoor greenhouse . . . when I say huge, I mean it). You could live in one of the surrounding rural areas (for example, White House or Greenbier if you worked at Opryland). The medical facilities in Nashville are top-rated.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:37 AM

Many thanks, Alleycat, for your suggestions.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:57 AM

86 posts, read 334,246 times
sillygal; I agree with Grannylois...what you described can be found in Kingsport. Do a search on Bays Mountain Park .. one of the largest city parks in the state with walking trails, wildlife exibits, planaterium, etc.. there is also a greenbelt in the city for walking. We have downtown concerts through the summer and a two week long festival (Funfest) in the summer, and a riverfrount development is underway that will expand the options already here. A new mall is being constructed...will open in late fall so you have all the shopping optinos normally found in larger cities...but we still have the small town feel. Kingsport is a must see if you are seriously looking for a place in East Tennessee.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:20 PM

393 posts, read 1,882,671 times
You know I have been to Kingsport but never seriously considered it, I may have to look a little further into it. I love Maryville, but I am afraid it is getting to be populated and expensive, and a little worried I will not be able to have the quality of life I need. Its been probably 5yrs since I have seen Kingsport, and at the time they were redoing the downtown. I didn't know they had a greenbelt there at all.....Thanks for all the replies!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:21 AM

Does anyone else have any comments or suggestions?

Old 05-31-2007, 07:06 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,347,849 times
As I was reading through this I thought Kingsport would also fit the bill, then Granny Lois and KPT jumped in and said what I was thinking, so I am just tripling the suggestion that you both look at Kingsport. I know you said you don't want to work in a nursery but there are several really nice ones here. Evergreen comes to mind where they have a lot more than just plants. Nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee