Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:42 PM

338 posts, read 1,445,823 times

Advertisements

It seems Tennessee is a close second to North Carolina in regards to people wanting to move or visit...my question(s) are simple:

(1) What is it everyone is looking for? What is the real reason behind your move? Or wanting to move?

(2) What particular area do you like best? East/Middle or Western Tennessee and Why?

(3) If you could move tomorrow where in TN would you move to? Why NOT North carolina or even South Carolina????

***(4) IF you live now or have ever lived in TN what are your favorite areas? Where do you stay away from? Why?

Thank You for your posts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2006, 01:48 PM

6 posts, read 16,641 times
Since I'm not officially there yet (although I was there last weekend), my answers won't count for much.

(1) DH is retiring, wants to be 8 hours from Winchester VA, in a state with no personal property tax. Land prices and relative isolation a bonus. Relief from the stress of living in the DC area, and having my horses at home. We have 30 acres, isolated but with some great neighbors, 5 miles off I-81. We see an infinitessimally small chance of anyone building a subdivision of McMansions within miles of us, in our lifetimes.

(2) See "8 hours from Winchester" answer. Will explore more of TN when we live there.

(3) See Answer 2. Also, tax situation not as favorable in NC or SC.

***(4) I can't tell you yet what our favorite areas are, beyond where we're moving. I have been warned to stay away from the Dollywood area except to sort of breeze through.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:55 PM

130 posts, read 566,407 times
(1) What is it everyone is looking for? What is the real reason behind your move? Or wanting to move? Quieter, slower pace of life and less congestion/rude people than Florida.

(2) What particular area do you like best? East/Middle or Western Tennessee and Why? East. Mountains and very nice people. Probably the most "southern" part of Tn, philosophically if not geographically

(3) If you could move tomorrow where in TN would you move to? Why NOT North carolina or even South Carolina???? NC isn't as quiet, too much traffic and too many tourists. SC is too far south

***(4) IF you live now or have ever lived in TN what are your favorite areas? Where do you stay away from? Why? Love Johnson City, Knoxville is too much like Tampa for me.

Thank You for your posts!: My pleasure.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:15 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
(1) What is it everyone is looking for? What is the real reason behind your move? Or wanting to move?

I'm scouting future retirement destinations where it's cheaper to live than where I live now (but doesn't have to be that much cheaper), has some really nice managed apartment complexes in the area, is a four seasons kind of place, has fishing opportunities and has a population of under 35,000. My main goal is to find a school that offers good classes (like in science, history, politics, economics) for retirees and not a lot of those feelings, learn how to turn on a computer, underwater basket weaving kind of classes that predominate in so many retirement communities. I think I've found what I'm looking for in Oak Ridge, school-wise, so I'll be driving down and checking out the area in October.

(2) What particular area do you like best? East/Middle or Western Tennessee and Why?

Well, I rather liked the Smokies. Visited Asheville, NC and didn't care for it as a retirement destination but loved the mountains, so I figured I'd like to check out the other side of the Smokies (Eastern Tennessee). I've been to Nashville and Memphis on business, and they were okay, but I wouldn't want to live in either place in retirement. If I like it, I could see myself winding up in Oak Ridge or Farragut so I could go to school in Oak Ridge, be around some lakes and not far from the Smokies but live in a suburbanish setting in a nice modern apartment complex. Don't have to worry about anyone else but me.

(3) If you could move tomorrow where in TN would you move to? Why NOT North carolina or even South Carolina????

If I was living in a big city now and wanted to downsize but still have a lot of things nearby that I was used to having in my big city, Asheville might look good as a retirement destination. But, coming from suburbia in both NY and MD, Asheville is just too big (too many people, too much traffic, no discernable zoning, too touchy-feely, and not a bargain tax-wise. Never considered any other place in North Carolina. Not a fan of "hot" to go further south, either.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:53 AM

157 posts, read 564,580 times
1)What is it everyone is looking for? What is the real reason behind your move? Or wanting to move?

We want to get a way from the cold winters of NE along with the high property taxes and the crowds. The older you get the heavier the snow is!

We just bought a place near Savannah. The area is beautiful with very friendly people. We looked at places in Marshall and Wayne counties and liked the area which had more of a rural feel.

We did research both North & South Carolina for property. We could not find anything in our price range that had acreage. A lot of cities and towns had local ordinances that prohibited more than 2 dogs. We found that TN had more to offer. After speaking to various real estate agents in all 3 states, we found TN to be much friendler.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:45 AM

338 posts, read 1,445,823 times
Smile Thaks for your honest answers--keep up the good work!

Just wanted to Thank everyone for answering my poll-we are set on TN but where in Tn is still kind of up in the air- we like Cannon County but then we love the mountains near Sequatchie County-I am just looking into what everyone else knows and feels...Thanks!

Old 08-05-2006, 07:59 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
I LOVE the Tri cites area, great schools, amenities yet you can still buy in a coutry setting, lots of price ranges and there are jobs here too! I also moved from Fl-Jupiter, I agree with what others have said in your poll but as far as cost of living, yet still having everything you need and want in an area, Tri-Cites is my pick! email me if you needs maps, links and such, I would be happy to help

Old 08-05-2006, 12:02 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingivyfarm
Since I'm not officially there yet (although I was there last weekend), my answers won't count for much.

(1) DH is retiring, wants to be 8 hours from Winchester VA, in a state with no personal property tax. Land prices and relative isolation a bonus. Relief from the stress of living in the DC area, and having my horses at home. We have 30 acres, isolated but with some great neighbors, 5 miles off I-81. We see an infinitessimally small chance of anyone building a subdivision of McMansions within miles of us, in our lifetimes.

(2) See "8 hours from Winchester" answer. Will explore more of TN when we live there.

(3) See Answer 2. Also, tax situation not as favorable in NC or SC.

***(4) I can't tell you yet what our favorite areas are, beyond where we're moving. I have been warned to stay away from the Dollywood area except to sort of breeze through.
What does "DH" mean

Old 08-05-2006, 12:06 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse
I LOVE the Tri cites area, great schools, amenities yet you can still buy in a coutry setting, lots of price ranges and there are jobs here too! I also moved from Fl-Jupiter, I agree with what others have said in your poll but as far as cost of living, yet still having everything you need and want in an area, Tri-Cites is my pick! email me if you needs maps, links and such, I would be happy to help
.........Email sent!

Old 08-05-2006, 01:09 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
What does "DH" mean = Dear Hubby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee