Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:34 AM

203 posts, read 766,255 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I feel compelled to add something here, although it was touched on briefly somewhere above. One of the reasons I want to move to TN is that the population density in the Cookeville area is about one quarter of what it is here in our current town. I enjoy people, but don't enjoy bumping into people every time I turn around. Of course, it wasn't like this 11 years ago when we moved here. My husband keeps asking me if I really believe that TN is going to stay as spread out and uncrowded as it is. I think that I it will probably get more crowded, but at least I'm buying myself some time. If I can basically jump back in time about 10 years then I'll have that much more time before things start getting unbearable again. I mean no offense to anyone when saying this. It's just one way to think about things. With the US population constantly increasing, the people have to go somewhere. We can only fit so many people per square mile before there's room for no more and they have to go elsewhere. Unfortunately, TN is likely to be that elsewhere eventually. As much as a lot of people dislike the influx of "outsiders," the only way to stop it is to ban "procreation" in order to stop the population growth.

Sorry, I guess I rambled. Anyway, I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend and a great Father's Day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 10:23 AM

111 posts, read 375,084 times
Just my thought. I hear a lot of people saying that the taxes are low, and they are but then again we don't have all the services that other states with higher taxes have. People the push for a few more services each wave that comes. Eventually our taxes will go up and for the last few years they have kicked around state & personal property taxes here, that means it's coming.
Then there is the scenery. People say they love the scenery with the open land. There are very few 100 acre tracts left and those get split as time goes on so the scenery is leaving. Sevierville to the NC line does not even look the same. We went to Gatlinburg and with all the chalets hanging off the MTNs it was ugly.
Most subdivisions are being built now with houses practically on top of each other and it looks like in many cases the developer only bought 1 set of plans and cloned it. The better ones are usually so high that they are not affordable to buy and work here without stretching yourself to the limit, even then then many local people (includes transplants) can't buy.
People move here for the beauty yet they are actually destroying what they moved here for. When I was a kid I visited the mtns frequently, same spots but I knew that if I ever moved there and disturbed the beauty it would become just like everywhere else. Kind of like fishing in the lakes, nowdays it almost has to be boat fishing because the land is developed with houses. People move here for the attitudes of local people then bring their ways or expect people to look over them and the friendlyness can change in the blink of an eye. Basically we don't care how you did it where you come from and if it was that good then why did you leave?
Many schools here are overcrowded. My 16 yr old at JCHS usually doen't get lunch because the lines are long and the seating is limited and lunch usually ends before she can seat & eat, even if she brings her own. Just a few years ago they built new schools and now they have added pods. We don't get tornados here often but we do get frequently get micro bursts and straight line winds. Theses are like tornados that briefly hit and miss. The last one took the side out of one barn then removed the complete top inm what looked like several sections about 20x20 ft from another 1/2 mile away, snapped oak trees like twigs. Now picture what can happen with a pod. That is East Tn for other part Google Tornado Alley.
We do have it good here but not like 20 years ago. Financially it's never been that good for most. Bigger cities like the ones mentioned you could not pay me to live in. Crime, arrogance, dirty ... I would not last long there, if you read how great they are consider who owns the company that prints it and how much is paid to say it. Smaller cities are great but are becomming like those that are larger.
I like to see good people come here and I have seen some on this board and sold to some and have some great friends but for many that come they don't stay long. Jobs pay 8.00- 15.00 per hr. on the average, better paying jobs are imported with the corporations or reserved for the good old boys. The cost of living isn't that much difference due to chain stores. Ever notice that all cities have the same things? Many go to grocery stores or Walmart to buy produce, it's cheaper than from local farmers but then again it's from China and other countries. Many counties are dry counties, don't be fooled by thinking you'll change that, we like them that way.
Many people are shocked when they come and see the real prices of land and homes. Somehow they just can't grasp that Mayberry RFD is an old TV show. If it's cheap there's a reason. Develpers have come in and built houses or land that shouldn't pass for anything to live on, the good old boy system is alive and well here. The better builders build then sell but usually don't build for other people and they build 1 then sell it and then build another.
Some people get here and freak out, those from here do not change. We have our beliefs and that's it. Smaller towns don't have a lot of crime because we usually don't dial 911. People here are friendly but by no means does that mean we're stupid or forgiving or take a lot and no, court is not the first option. We don't comprise our morals or allow others to or want to live around those who lack them. We will help you until you disrespect us and then it's over. You reep what you sow, and sometimes more.
The funniest thing I have read here is convince me why I should move here. If you have to be convinced you shouldn't move here. We do live a bit differently, except in the bigger cities and I'm sure we will do just fine with or without you. There are some that move here and fit in great but many that move here soon find out we're more friendly when your spending vacation money. A good for instance, a person running for a position got heavily defeated, used the I have a Master's degree from UT in Ag and up against 3 people that have no degree but farmed all their life. We take things at face value and people as well. Toot your own horn and somebody will cork it.
Now that's the basic truth as I see it. As I said we have transplants that leave or are miserable until they leave then we have good people that move here and love it. We have many locals that move out because even with the cost of living they would like to make decent money. The ones that think they will buy 3-5 acres and be self sufficient or a farmer soon find out that the dream is usually short lived, reality sets in and the beautiful farmland that is around them is either full of wannabe farmers like them or cheap built houses. Then they land a job that pays a fraction of what they once made and attempt to pay for it praying they don't get sick.
There are few remote places left here and some of those you really don't want to explore, I don't even go there. Ever seen Deliverance? If not watch it. Bigger cities are usually crime or chemical ridden. Smaller cities will accept you if you come in peace and realize you must change because we will not. We're honest & helpful but remember that that is optional and what appears to be Heaven on earth can become Hell on Earth. But remember, it's your choice. If you like what it offers then you'll like it here, if not don't waste your time and money thinking you'll change it. Now that's the truth.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:05 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Very insightful. Just this past Thursday the Orlando Sentinel had a double page beautifully colored advertisement about how beautiful Tennessee is, how inexpensive the property is and how you all in Orlando should come visit and buy the property. I'm sure the Orlando Sentinel was not the only newspaper that included that ad, and it is one of many I have seen on paper and on the TV placed by developers and the government in TN. If the voted-in officials of a state want growth, but the residents don't want it, speak your mind to the officials and in the voting booth. It appears the "if you build it they will come" is applying in TN, just as it did in FL. People will relocate with such an attractive welcome/offer.

Posted by just another "Floridiot". . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
As a native Tennessean, I think that those that are angry at the "newcomers" should realize that their anger is actually displaced. If the TN folks (landowners) didn't sell out their property to developers or "outsiders" then the McMansions wouldn't get built, houses wouldn't get bought and there couldn't be an influx.

Ya, I know that this isn't the entire picture, I just couldn't help myself.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:20 AM

111 posts, read 375,084 times
In Jefferson Co they have been trying to figure out ways to divert those with kids, the schools are overcrowded or so I'm told. They tried to get a 2 acre minimun restriction for housing in the county but people voted it down.
There are a lot of people from Fla come by our office that are completely unaware of prices and get sticker shock and I wondered why, now I know. Many of the developers that are here are from Fla so I guess that's where they are advertising some even own realty companies.
The funny things is that people will hop from one realty company to another thinking there is something different within an area when there's not, it's all the same MLS will cover several counties. The only difference might be "pocket listings" and I 'd be afraid of them if I were buying.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:29 AM

86 posts, read 333,786 times
Many good comments on this subject, and I'll just confirm what JMT alluded to. Migration goes both ways...yes, we have many people moving to the Tri-Cities area but we also have many that are leaving the area for a variety of reasons. Lots of retirees leave the area to be closer to children and grandchildren, just as we see retirees moving here for the same reason. Relocation for employment (transfers, etc) is another reason for leaving, and many retirees are still moving to Florida or other coastal states because that has been their retirement dream. The net result is that growth is not as explosive as it might seem based on comments from those who have moved or considering a move.

Old 06-16-2007, 11:37 AM

4,739 posts, read 8,375,855 times
Signal Mountain was a no where place many years ago, I remember driving through and seeing locals living in busses up on blocks. Now from what i've read on other posts Dr's are looking for more affordable homes in Chatanooga. In the end the ones that make it are the ones that read the signs.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly7 View Post

Many people are shocked when they come and see the real prices of land and homes. Somehow they just can't grasp that Mayberry RFD is an old TV show. If it's cheap there's a reason.
I'm constantly amazed by people looking for a 3-bedroom house rental near a decent-size city for $500 to $600.

Or a 3-bedroom house with garage and five acres for $120,000.

Are they kidding me?

Old 06-16-2007, 04:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,285,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly7 View Post
The funniest thing I have read here is convince me why I should move here. If you have to be convinced you shouldn't move here.
Do people realize how silly they sound when they come on this board and say, "C'mon folks. Give me a reason to move to Tennessee. I just want you to tell me some good things so that I can be convinced to move here. In fact the pictures you took were nice, but I really need more."

My life will go on whether you move here or not and so will the locals.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:33 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,099,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Or a 3-bedroom house with garage and five acres for $120,000.

Are they kidding me?
Oh they are out there believe me, we saw some. we were quite interested in them when we found them only to see they were sold in a matter of days. They don't last long enough for people to find them or even be advertised for sale. The realtors keep their list of potential buyers with what they want and when something new comes up matching what someone is looking for, it's grabbed up very fast.

There was one home on 5 acres, 3 bedroom with a detached garage big enough for 5 cars for $135,000.

Another one not too far away for $120,000 3 bedroom on 3 acres.

And these were not old run down places either.

Old 06-16-2007, 05:43 PM

764 posts, read 1,456,960 times
Default Grab a shovel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
"What are people supposed to do lie when people ask questions?"
That would be me. I asked that question. The choices when a poster asks various questions about Tennessee as part of the analysis as to whether it is “for them” are:

A) No. We don’t want any more people here.
B) Yes, it’s a great place to live if you . . . .
C) No, it’s NOT a great place if you . . .
D) Don’t answer.
E) Lie about the conditions here so as to discourage them.

There may be other choices. Jump in and name a few. Make a decision as to how to handle the questions that are apparently the purpose of this forum.

I wrote about this in another thread. All of Tennessee will become the equivalent of Western Washington State. In 1970 when I came back from SE Asia and moved to Seattle, it was a gorgeous city as was all the magnificent areas north and south of it. There were medium to large cities up and down the I-5 corridor such as Seattle, Olympia, Tacoma, Everett, Bellingham, but there was lots of beautiful green space, farms aplenty, and some industry mixed in but unobtrusive. A lot like Tennessee between here (Monterey) and Nashville. Now it’s basically a 250 mile stretch of city for all practical purposes from the southern border just across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon practically to Bellingham not too far from the Canadian border in the north. The land from the I-5 corridor going east to the Cascade Mountain Range is basically part of that giant city. It’s a giant metropolis. And it’s going to get worse.

Who owns the land that developers buy? How do they get the great deals and snap them up without Tennesseans noticing? Who owns the water? How do developers get water rights? Who makes the parameters of the sale to the developers that excludes or does not include proper provisions for the building of infrastructure to accommodate the new building? Who are the supposed visionaries who “plan” these things without the approval of the people, without permission to do things that will affect their lives in whole? Who decides that certain businesses are necessary to improve economic growth in Tennessee in general and cities in particular? Who has “planned” Tennessee’s future economic growth by doing everything possible to import consumers from other States and from city to city intrastate? Who has decided that Tennessee’s economic growth must come from serving people intrastate rather than manufacturing goods and services for export interstate or international?

As I said before, in my humble opinion the “damage” done by the members of City-Data Forum Tennessee is insignificant in the big picture described above. If the overwhelming opinion is that this forum is helping to destroy Tennessee, then close it down. But of course, this forum isn’t really a problem, is it?—certainly not when considering what must seem as overwhelming problems of monumental complexity.

I just encountered a term that I believe is perfect to describe so very many situations in America today. It was at another online forum that I read this: “Shovel the gravel.” Maybe some of you have heard this term. We can look at a pile of gravel and talk about how it is in the way, but it won’t move without picking up a shovel and using it. And the pile can’t be moved effectively or quickly by crashing into the center single file with shovels because the walls will simply come back to fill the void. It has to be attacked from all angles with everyone doing their part working toward the center. The problems that Tennessee will face will be the same problems that EVERY city and State will face. Approach incorrectly or ignore it and it will consume hopes and dreams. Discussion is good and necessary. But grab a shovel and dig in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee