Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 05:20 PM

136 posts, read 459,620 times

Advertisements

Just curious about this ...

I've been reading other forums and ran across a thread concerning the growth in a popular western state and several posters have been basically telling people to just stay away from their state.

I've seen how growth ruins the personality of an area. I saw this happen in Alaska and Arizona. I know it's happened to Colorado and Washington and from what I've been reading, it's happening in Idaho.

I've been reading these forums and the TN locals seem very welcoming to newcomers.

Does it concern any of you that all these people moving to your area will end up destroying what you love about TN?

I'm not trying to start anything, but I'm just curious if it's a concern. Frankly, I think it should be and it should be something that is addressed now rather than later.

You've got a great state and it would be ashame to see it ruined.

Best regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 05:32 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Well, this has been written here before, but I believe that now it should be brought up again.

The housing market started tanking less than two years ago. Last February, it really took a nose-dive. In the past two weeks? Game over.

People can come and investigate all they want. Finding jobs that paid well was always a problem. That eliminated a lot. Now, it doesn't really matter. Most won't be able to sell their homes.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 PM

3,964 posts, read 10,634,713 times
Assuming we did want to slow/stop the influx, how would that be done?

Old 06-15-2007, 05:59 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldn2slavery View Post
Jus
I've been reading these forums and the TN locals seem very welcoming to newcomers.

Does it concern any of you that all these people moving to your area will end up destroying what you love about TN?

I'm not trying to start anything, but I'm just curious if it's a concern. Frankly, I think it should be and it should be something that is addressed now rather than later.

You've got a great state and it would be ashame to see it ruined.

Best regards.
I've mentioned this before too that i read alot about how TN is such a great state, blah, blah, blah and how great it is to live there and so on... well all i got was alot of flack about the comment. I wasn't saying it in a bad way either. Just like you, a concern because on other posts i read that TN people don't want it to become overcrowded like the other states are yet they go on and on about the wonderful things to look forward to. Someone responded to me "What are people supposed to do lie when people ask questions?" Well no, I mean answer the questions honestly but some people just get so involved in their reply and might give off a bit too much info that really isn't needed. Then it was told there were only so many people on this forum that read it that it's not going to make a difference. Well, i wouldn't say that either. A friend of mine bought in TN and told me about it which is why we started our search there, finally bought some land and now our in-laws are also moving to TN with us as well as possibly my brother in law so just because people don't find this forum to read, it all comes down to word of mouth and i can say that from 1 person telling us, a total of 13 of us will be moving to TN and i'm the only one who follows this forum.

HIK..... But on the the other hand, it's not only people moving to TN that need to work. My guess from what i've read on people moving is that it's 50/50 on retirees vs. people who need to work. The home sales in FL are finally beginning to lower and are selling again at least in my area.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:12 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Danielle: I thought of you when I made this post. I wanted to make sure I didn't hurt you. I think you are safe.

First of all, you have a small house that will seem affordable. And you are in a very good part of the state that is going to see growth from the people that can still bail out of south Florida. I think your appreciation will stay the same or move up, slightly.

Tons of people were not moving to northern Florida, but they will try to get in now, without having to leave the state. I think your area will still be desirable a few years down the road when you sell. In fact, I think you can ride that first wave when things finally recover. People are going to remember how bad the crime and schools were in south Florida.

But overall, I think the foreclosures and glut of houses on the market in Florida and California will affect us all. If they can't sell they can't move here.

Right now I am sitting and waiting. Just watching.

Old 06-15-2007, 06:33 PM

Hiknapster, what are you watching and waiting for? I don't mean that to sound bad, I'm genuinely interested.

So, basically, the people who want to move to TN can't because they can't sell their house and, even if they could sell their house, they wouldn't be able to find a decent paying job in TN that would pay them enough to be able to afford the relatively cheap housing. Am I understanding this correctly?

Old 06-15-2007, 07:12 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Danielle: I thought of you when I made this post. I wanted to make sure I didn't hurt you. I think you are safe.

First of all, you have a small house that will seem affordable. And you are in a very good part of the state that is going to see growth from the people that can still bail out of south Florida. I think your appreciation will stay the same or move up, slightly.

Tons of people were not moving to northern Florida, but they will try to get in now, without having to leave the state. I think your area will still be desirable a few years down the road when you sell. In fact, I think you can ride that first wave when things finally recover. People are going to remember how bad the crime and schools were in south Florida.

But overall, I think the foreclosures and glut of houses on the market in Florida and California will affect us all. If they can't sell they can't move here.

Right now I am sitting and waiting. Just watching.
Well you know me, i always have to respond to something i've asked before but glad someone else was thinking the same thing i was. There's still people moving to FL everyday now and some people will give some great additions just to sell like installing an inground screened in pool at no additional cost. BIG expenses like that people are now just "throwing" in just to make a sale.

Well i don't think my little town can grow anymore than it has. We had a boom 4 years ago when our little town was "discovered" but there's no more land to buy. What's left is swampland and forestry owned. But your right, there's plenty of Room in North Florida for people to move to.

As far as how to answer peoples questions, simply answer the question and PM them if you want to give more info than you don't want the "public" eyes to see.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:15 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,899 times
How is my moving to TN with my LW and little girl going to hurt/destroy the state?

Old 06-15-2007, 07:20 PM

Only if it's you and a million other people. Take a look at CO, MT, AZ, WA, ID. People move there to escape the rat race and they brought the rat race with them.

It's nothing personal against you, but what happens when everyone wants to move to TN to live on an acre of land in the country?

Anyway, I was just curious if any of the regular posters on this forum were concerned about too many people wanting to make TN their home.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:37 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,684,899 times
You can close the gates after our arrival, but I don't think it'll help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee