Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 09:18 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,935,751 times

Advertisements

As previosuly discussed here, what electric cars need to do is have exchangable batteries, so you can pull one or more out and just repleace them with charged ones. My brother and some friends built an electric jet ski and I thin you can do that with their jet ski.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM

770 posts, read 1,132,785 times
I think the Tesla models are great and have tremendous potential. I drove the two seater two years ago and loved it, what torque! The S is beautiful. When the price drops on the S, I will buy one for sure.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:13 AM

5,473 posts, read 8,207,097 times
Here is what Autoextremist says about the current controversy:
“What separates Elon Musk from every other guy with too much money and a passel of yes-men who hang on his every word? Not much. His trashing of The New York Times and its reviewer - John M. Broder - for daring to criticize Tesla's "Supercharger" charging system and by inference the saintly Tesla Model S was silly and wrong-.......”

The whole story: ON THE TABLE - FEBRUARY 13,*2013 - On The Table - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth...

Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 PM

5,473 posts, read 8,207,097 times
Here is the Top Gear test that resulted in a lawsuit by Tesla: Jeremy drives the Tesla Roadster (series 12, episode 7) - BBC Top Gear

Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM

597 posts, read 1,318,750 times
It should be noted that Tesla didn't win anything. In fact Top Gear did them a favor and didn't show some bad stuff that happened with one of the cars. It should also be noted he filled the car up to more than enough range for his trip. Problem was his range dropped when he got on the road. Also Musk has backed off on his detour claim. The reporter has a blog post taking down Musks' claims.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:50 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,315,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
That right there is a perfect example of having to make compromises! I understand what you're saying and it makes perfect sense, but I want to be able to drive a car I own and not have to do a trip calculation and plan out my charging stops.
You call it making compromises, I call it a shift in your priorities, jsut like we make adjustments to charge our phones and tablets on a regular basis. You can charge an EV whenever and wherever you can, so that it ALWAYS has max range that you can get. A few minutes here and a few minutes there add up, so that you dont need to run it to empty and then wait hours to "fill up."

Most people drive their gas car until the fuel gets low, then refill it quickly. EV owners recharge as time permits and don't wait until it gets too low. It's a paradigm shift in how you look at your transportation device, not a "compromise."

As Tesla installs more of these superchargers and as other companies put in regular charge stations (like the west coast is doing up and down the I5 corridor) EV range anxiety will go away the way phone talk time anxiety has gone away.

I'm getting a Volt this weekend, i'll be plugging it in every night, regardless fo how much juice I need (since i only have a 14 mile round trip commute, I'd rally only need to recharge it every third trip, but since i have the ability to plug it in every night, I'll change my habits slightly and never have range issues).

Funny thing is a lot of people don't remember when you saw signs like "last gas for 100 miles" and you knew that you had to fill up then or risk not making it to the next gas station.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
As previosuly discussed here, what electric cars need to do is have exchangable batteries, so you can pull one or more out and just repleace them with charged ones. My brother and some friends built an electric jet ski and I thin you can do that with their jet ski.
Nope. What EV owers need to do is remember that you dont' have to (and really dont' want to) use up the battery charge before recharging.

VWVortex.com - The EV RANGE ANXIETY thread

great thread with a lot of important information in it.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
It's just another waste of taxpayers money by obama pet company. If a company can not stand on thier own, let them fail. No company should be considered too big to go belly up. Banks, insurance companies, investment firms, car companies, etc., if they can not make it with what they sell, then thye are not needed. If their product is a complete failure for traveling and they say they are a car company, close the doors.

Wow. Just... wow. I'm a registered Republican and even I know better than to spout that drivel.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:04 AM

838 posts, read 2,528,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
You call it making compromises, I call it a shift in your priorities, jsut like we make adjustments to charge our phones and tablets on a regular basis. You can charge an EV whenever and wherever you can, so that it ALWAYS has max range that you can get. A few minutes here and a few minutes there add up, so that you dont need to run it to empty and then wait hours to "fill up."

Most people drive their gas car until the fuel gets low, then refill it quickly. EV owners recharge as time permits and don't wait until it gets too low. It's a paradigm shift in how you look at your transportation device, not a "compromise."

As Tesla installs more of these superchargers and as other companies put in regular charge stations (like the west coast is doing up and down the I5 corridor) EV range anxiety will go away the way phone talk time anxiety has gone away.

I'm getting a Volt this weekend, i'll be plugging it in every night, regardless fo how much juice I need (since i only have a 14 mile round trip commute, I'd rally only need to recharge it every third trip, but since i have the ability to plug it in every night, I'll change my habits slightly and never have range issues).

Funny thing is a lot of people don't remember when you saw signs like "last gas for 100 miles" and you knew that you had to fill up then or risk not making it to the next gas station.
If you're happy with an EV, then that's all that matters. Sounds like it's a good fit for your current lifestyle.

The main point about compromises is that the range and charge time for the EV batteries needs to improve to make them a viable alternative to mainstream gas/hybrid vehicles. It's more than about trip times and planned stops too, which were exposed in the cold weather environment tests. I would like to use a vehicle in a way that I'm accustomed to. I can't even imagine having to turn the heat off in my car with it being 25 outside because the EV battery only has 50% of it's normal range due to outside temps. I have a hard time believing most folks would find that acceptable.

Old 02-14-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
I would like to use a vehicle in a way that I'm accustomed to.
That's just lazyness. Read the thread I linked to. It explains why if consumers rationally looked at how they use their transportation devices, most would find EVs work for them even now. There's less adjustment to go to an EV than there is going between a car that gets 35mpg and a car that gets 14 mpg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla