Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 07:55 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times

Advertisements

I hear all the claims about how far a Tesla can run. But lets get real. The car has to run in the real world. Some owners, in a city like Chicago, might have to use it in extreme heat or extreme cold. I was curious how much battery charge would have to be used to heat or cool the interior on a hot or cold day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 10:15 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I hear all the claims about how far a Tesla can run. But lets get real. The car has to run in the real world. Some owners, in a city like Chicago, might have to use it in extreme heat or extreme cold. I was curious how much battery charge would have to be used to heat or cool the interior on a hot or cold day?
You lose a few miles of range by running A/C. My understanding is that it will take more of a hit in extreme cold (maybe 20-25%) but I have no first hand experience. My Model 3 has a 310 mile range so a bit of range loss won’t be a cause for concern.

Old 07-24-2018, 10:20 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Put one somewhere like Florida and the ac needs to be used almost year round. Turning it off to conserve power doesn’t cut it if you don’t want to soaked in sweat when you arrive at your destination.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:05 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Put one somewhere like Florida and the ac needs to be used almost year round. Turning it off to conserve power doesn’t cut it if you don’t want to soaked in sweat when you arrive at your destination.
Well, if the AC does impact range by about 20%-25%, then a fully-charged Model 3 LR should be able to travel 230+ miles with the AC running.

Old 07-24-2018, 11:06 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,296,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
You lose a few miles of range by running A/C. My understanding is that it will take more of a hit in extreme cold (maybe 20-25%) but I have no first hand experience. My Model 3 has a 310 mile range so a bit of range loss won’t be a cause for concern.
I do have first hand knowledge and your guesstimate is about right. I've had my Model S for almost 3.5 years. I'm in Colorado and drive to the ski areas in Summit Co. weekly in the winter.

Heat uses about 3x the energy that AC does, so you'll have no issues in Florida. I don't notice any range loss from AC because with the AC off and the windows open at highway speed it's a wash due to increased drag from open windows or sunroof. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite features this time of year is leaving the AC running (you can do that since it's electric and not dependent on an engine transferring motion from a fan belt) when I'm running errands. Come out to a nice cool car!

Old 07-24-2018, 11:09 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
As a matter of fact, one of my favorite features this time of year is leaving the AC running (you can do that since it's electric and not dependent on an engine transferring motion from a fan belt) when I'm running errands. Come out to a nice cool car!
Same here. It's nice to be able to run the climate control in the driveway (or even the garage) without worrying about the fumes.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:34 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,939,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I do have first hand knowledge and your guesstimate is about right. I've had my Model S for almost 3.5 years. I'm in Colorado and drive to the ski areas in Summit Co. weekly in the winter.

Heat uses about 3x the energy that AC does, so you'll have no issues in Florida. I don't notice any range loss from AC because with the AC off and the windows open at highway speed it's a wash due to increased drag from open windows or sunroof. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite features this time of year is leaving the AC running (you can do that since it's electric and not dependent on an engine transferring motion from a fan belt) when I'm running errands. Come out to a nice cool car!
Isn’t that essentially the same thing as running an engine to keep the car cool as you run errands?

Old 07-25-2018, 04:50 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
My Model 3 has a 310 mile range so a bit of range loss won’t be a cause for concern.
While a 300 mile range is great for most daily driving applications the problem starts when you are on a trip and you reach your 300 mile range and theres still 500 miles to go ,now what?

Old 07-25-2018, 05:23 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
While a 300 mile range is great for most daily driving applications the problem starts when you are on a trip and you reach your 300 mile range and theres still 500 miles to go ,now what?
What do you do when you drive 300 miles and your car is low on gas? You stop and refill. Its just going to take a little longer with the Telsa.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:28 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
What do you do when you drive 300 miles and your car is low on gas? You stop and refill. Its just going to take a little longer with the Telsa.
How much longer to regain that 300 mile range.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla