Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 10:30 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I rode in a Tesla Model 3 not long ago. I can't judge it from a drivers perspective but I too was a bit shocked by the road noise. I was expecting it to be much quieter than it was. It didn't really sound much quieter than an ordinary Camry.
yeah road and wind noise were issues in my 2018 model 3. my 2021 Model Y is much quieter on both fronts since it has double paned front windows and possibly more noise insulation in the wheel wells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 11:33 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
Model 3 is also 50 grand cheaper than the Model S. You're comparing two completely different price points.
Not really, the Model S starts at $78k which is about 20-30k more. There are a ton of cars like the 3 series, Lexus, Merc that starts at $45k and beats the Model 3 in comfort. One of the major reasons Model 3 is given back or traded in because majority of luxury car buyers will notice a major difference in build quality. I think BMW and Volvos are hard to beat price wise against Tesla. The main thing I prefer they have is the level of software integration that Tesla provides but then again Apple CarPlay is pleasure to use I wished Elon release the Tesla phone soon.

Old 10-18-2022, 02:56 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Not really, the Model S starts at $78k which is about 20-30k more. There are a ton of cars like the 3 series, Lexus, Merc that starts at $45k and beats the Model 3 in comfort. One of the major reasons Model 3 is given back or traded in because majority of luxury car buyers will notice a major difference in build quality. I think BMW and Volvos are hard to beat price wise against Tesla. The main thing I prefer they have is the level of software integration that Tesla provides but then again Apple CarPlay is pleasure to use I wished Elon release the Tesla phone soon.

A new Model S in its most basic trim level (Model S Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive) with no options and not including destination fees is $104,990 at the time of this posting and has been at that price point since June. kishac is correct that these are two different price points, two different market segments, and two notably different sizes. Also, within this kind of price band, even $20K-$30K is a different segment (though again, the difference is more like $50K and up). That kind of price difference doesn't get into rounding error territory for the most part until much further up the market.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-18-2022 at 03:43 PM..

Old 10-18-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
Not sure where you're located, but in the US the cheapest new Model S now starts at $100k. Cheapest model 3 starts at $47k.

Yes, compact luxury sedan offerings from MBZ, Lex, and BMW will win in the creature comforts department. But the Model 3 is besting all of them in sales in the US, so there must be something that the general market seems to value about the Tesla over the legacy luxury automakers. Perhaps it's because the C-class was up until recently, long in the tooth and we shall see how it's recent redesign translates to sales (albeit with a highly frustrating touchscreen), the BMW 3 series isn't that much nicer inside than a Tesla, and it's flinty ride isn't exactly luxurious either, and the Lexus IS's aging design is also reflected in its thirsty powertrain.

I do think the BMW IX and I4 are great EV efforts by BMW. I came away impressed with both. Unfortunately the Merc EQB was thoroughly unimpressive. The market will catch up, which is great since i'm brand agnostic when it comes to shopping for cars.

Old 10-18-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
A new Model S in its most basic trim level (Model S Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive) with no options and not including destination fees is $104,990 at the time of this posting and has been at that price point since June. kishac is correct that these are two different price points and two different market segments--they're also of actually two notably different sizes. Also, within this kind of price band, even $20K-$30K is a different segment (though again, the difference is more like $50K and up). That kind of price difference doesn't get into rounding error territory for the most part until much further up the market.
thank you

Old 10-19-2022, 07:23 AM

1,066 posts, read 623,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
Not sure where you're located, but in the US the cheapest new Model S now starts at $100k. Cheapest model 3 starts at $47k.

Yes, compact luxury sedan offerings from MBZ, Lex, and BMW will win in the creature comforts department. But the Model 3 is besting all of them in sales in the US, so there must be something that the general market seems to value about the Tesla over the legacy luxury automakers. Perhaps it's because the C-class was up until recently, long in the tooth and we shall see how it's recent redesign translates to sales (albeit with a highly frustrating touchscreen), the BMW 3 series isn't that much nicer inside than a Tesla, and it's flinty ride isn't exactly luxurious either, and the Lexus IS's aging design is also reflected in its thirsty powertrain.

I do think the BMW IX and I4 are great EV efforts by BMW. I came away impressed with both. Unfortunately the Merc EQB was thoroughly unimpressive. The market will catch up, which is great since i'm brand agnostic when it comes to shopping for cars.
Like you, I was disappointed with the EQB. While I own a Tesla, I also own a Mercedes E class sedan and have long been a Mercedes fan. So far, I only like the new Mercedes EQS SUV, but it should be great given the price tag. There is a lot to like about the BMW, but I can’t get over the face/grill. I like the more classic look and now it looks like buck teeth. Further, some controls are not ideal and I didn’t like the feel of the steering wheel, but that is also personal preference. Change those three things and then I take the BMW. I am hopeful that the Mercedes EQE SUV might fit the spot, but who knows until it is out.

Old 06-11-2023, 08:34 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
Default Model 3 - A Tale of Two Cars

Resurrecting this thread to add my brief review of the Model 3. I’ve had it now for two months, and in that time I’ve driven it for both daily driving and some longer trips. I bought the base model; rear-wheel drive, white with black interior, 18” Aero wheels.

The good:
The last time I drove a car that was as fun to drive as the Model 3 was when I was a teenager and had an old, beat up, hand-me-down Mercury Cougar XR-7. The Model 3 is so punchy with instant torque it almost induces a giggle from me. I infrequently punch it, usually on on-ramps to highways, and am always impressed by the instant speed and maneuverability of the vehicle.

The technology is impressive. In the two months I’ve had it there have been at least three software updates, at least one of which have provided some handy features, such as steering wheel functions to choose fan speed, wipers, glove box, etc. You have the option to select performance, from standard and sport to comfortable. It has eight cameras that are used for the “auto drive,” but also for the dash cam and sentry program. This car can record everything; left, right, front, and back. While it doesn’t have Apple Car, it’s nav, imho, is excellent, especially on its 16”, high quality screen. It streams music, radio, podcasts, news, etc., in addition to Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Disney+, etc. It also provides an internet browser. The “Autopilot” is far more capable than in my 2018 Honda (though I have some serious issues with it- see below). The voice control works far better than I thought it would, though I don’t use it often, other than when I make a phone call or am navigating. The regenerative breaking is awesome; it took me about ten minutes to convert to and enjoy “one-pedal” driving. The software also includes a number of games, and gags, etc, that just make the car even more fun to spend time in, as I have to, for example, when sitting in a driveway at my son’s piano/trumpet lesson or at soccer practice three nights a week.

The styling, to me, is eye-catching. I think it looks like a futuristic sports car, which is what it is in some ways. I like the glass roof, the shape of the vehicle, and even the base wheels. I really like the interior. I prefer the so-called minimalist look. The screen works absolutely fine for me. It requires an adjustment to get used to, but at this point I think it’s great. Personally, I dislike all of the gaudy dashboards, nick-nacks, and crazy colors of some of the cars out there. Once you have things set up to your desire, there isn’t much need to fiddle. It’s clean, ordered, and efficient.

I found the charging to be so simple when I first started driving it I almost thought, “Wait… Is that all there is to it?” You pull up to a charger, take the cable from the holder, and put it into the charge port. Done. It works seamlessly with your account. The superchargers are so fast it seems like before you have time to read your email you’ve doubled your battery percentage. I rarely spend more than 20 minutes charging, and that might be once a week because we still haven’t installed a level 2 charger at home. Yes. I plug it into a standard 120 outlet and get about 5-6 miles per hour (about 60 miles worth per night, or more than 20%). In the two months I’ve had the car I’ve never pulled into a supercharger station that didn’t work perfectly. Thumbs up.

The bad:
Under about 45 mph the Model 3 is eerily quiet, but over this speed and you are likely in for wind noise that I would have to say is at times awful. Like, can’t concentrate awful, need to turn up the radio so you can hear the weather awful, have to yell to your passengers so they can understand what you are saying awful. (I’m exaggerating, but not by much).

The ride quality on smooth roads is like riding on glass, but on rough roads- awful. Preparation H awful, head bouncing on head rest like drum sticks on a snare drum awful. I find myself avoiding the smallest pot holes like my life depended on it.

Finally, the “Autopilot” system, while impressive in its capabilities, is at times alarmingly reactive. This can be dangerous because the system may aggressively brake at times when it is not appropriate. It has “phantom braked” on me once due to an overpass. This was at nearly 70 mph. Not good. As a side note, I only have the basic auto drive, not the enhanced, not the “full self driving.” I feel that I can anticipate at this point how the car may react, but I am a bit concerned for folks new to driving the car.

The ugly:
One of the most concerning issues is communication with Tesla. The car has so many technical systems I sometimes think if I have an issue I will need responsive and capable service, possibly often. But in the two months I have had the car the only way I have been able to reach a representative (not for a repair) has been through texting. They may respond within an hour, or not. They may take days. There is no one to reach out to, or who is at a desk somewhere in town that you can go see and try to resolve an issue with.

Build quality: This car only had one, minor gap between panels. Most people would never notice it. But the metal seems very thin in the panels, the trunks, the doors. Road dirt gets into the panel gaps, into the sills of the doors more so than my Hondas. Everything seems less solid and more hollow.

To sum up:
The car is fun, full of great tech, and stylish. But there are some significant issues. We got it at a great price considering the federal tax credit and the state rebate. So, the car has both positive and negative qualities, but overall I’m happy. We wanted to get into EV’s and this car was our way in. I’m looking forward to see what the other car companies can offer in a price range that is reasonable.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:12 AM

1,190 posts, read 1,194,530 times
Default Tesla Model 3

[/quote]The good: It also provides an internet browser......Hopefully this is disabled when the car is in motion.

The ugly:.......The front end!

At least the higher up cars (Model S etc..) have a "normal looking" front end, not a huge piece of plastic with no openings.

Car and Driver also stated recently in a review that the build quality is sketchy. [/quote]

Old 06-14-2023, 10:29 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Resurrecting this thread to add my brief review of the Model 3. I’ve had it now for two months, and in that time I’ve driven it for both daily driving and some longer trips. I bought the base model; rear-wheel drive, white with black interior, 18” Aero wheels.

The good:
The last time I drove a car that was as fun to drive as the Model 3 was when I was a teenager and had an old, beat up, hand-me-down Mercury Cougar XR-7. The Model 3 is so punchy with instant torque it almost induces a giggle from me. I infrequently punch it, usually on on-ramps to highways, and am always impressed by the instant speed and maneuverability of the vehicle.

The technology is impressive. In the two months I’ve had it there have been at least three software updates, at least one of which have provided some handy features, such as steering wheel functions to choose fan speed, wipers, glove box, etc. You have the option to select performance, from standard and sport to comfortable. It has eight cameras that are used for the “auto drive,” but also for the dash cam and sentry program. This car can record everything; left, right, front, and back. While it doesn’t have Apple Car, it’s nav, imho, is excellent, especially on its 16”, high quality screen. It streams music, radio, podcasts, news, etc., in addition to Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, Disney+, etc. It also provides an internet browser. The “Autopilot” is far more capable than in my 2018 Honda (though I have some serious issues with it- see below). The voice control works far better than I thought it would, though I don’t use it often, other than when I make a phone call or am navigating. The regenerative breaking is awesome; it took me about ten minutes to convert to and enjoy “one-pedal” driving. The software also includes a number of games, and gags, etc, that just make the car even more fun to spend time in, as I have to, for example, when sitting in a driveway at my son’s piano/trumpet lesson or at soccer practice three nights a week.

The styling, to me, is eye-catching. I think it looks like a futuristic sports car, which is what it is in some ways. I like the glass roof, the shape of the vehicle, and even the base wheels. I really like the interior. I prefer the so-called minimalist look. The screen works absolutely fine for me. It requires an adjustment to get used to, but at this point I think it’s great. Personally, I dislike all of the gaudy dashboards, nick-nacks, and crazy colors of some of the cars out there. Once you have things set up to your desire, there isn’t much need to fiddle. It’s clean, ordered, and efficient.

I found the charging to be so simple when I first started driving it I almost thought, “Wait… Is that all there is to it?” You pull up to a charger, take the cable from the holder, and put it into the charge port. Done. It works seamlessly with your account. The superchargers are so fast it seems like before you have time to read your email you’ve doubled your battery percentage. I rarely spend more than 20 minutes charging, and that might be once a week because we still haven’t installed a level 2 charger at home. Yes. I plug it into a standard 120 outlet and get about 5-6 miles per hour (about 60 miles worth per night, or more than 20%). In the two months I’ve had the car I’ve never pulled into a supercharger station that didn’t work perfectly. Thumbs up.

The bad:
Under about 45 mph the Model 3 is eerily quiet, but over this speed and you are likely in for wind noise that I would have to say is at times awful. Like, can’t concentrate awful, need to turn up the radio so you can hear the weather awful, have to yell to your passengers so they can understand what you are saying awful. (I’m exaggerating, but not by much).

The ride quality on smooth roads is like riding on glass, but on rough roads- awful. Preparation H awful, head bouncing on head rest like drum sticks on a snare drum awful. I find myself avoiding the smallest pot holes like my life depended on it.

Finally, the “Autopilot” system, while impressive in its capabilities, is at times alarmingly reactive. This can be dangerous because the system may aggressively brake at times when it is not appropriate. It has “phantom braked” on me once due to an overpass. This was at nearly 70 mph. Not good. As a side note, I only have the basic auto drive, not the enhanced, not the “full self driving.” I feel that I can anticipate at this point how the car may react, but I am a bit concerned for folks new to driving the car.

The ugly:
One of the most concerning issues is communication with Tesla. The car has so many technical systems I sometimes think if I have an issue I will need responsive and capable service, possibly often. But in the two months I have had the car the only way I have been able to reach a representative (not for a repair) has been through texting. They may respond within an hour, or not. They may take days. There is no one to reach out to, or who is at a desk somewhere in town that you can go see and try to resolve an issue with.

Build quality: This car only had one, minor gap between panels. Most people would never notice it. But the metal seems very thin in the panels, the trunks, the doors. Road dirt gets into the panel gaps, into the sills of the doors more so than my Hondas. Everything seems less solid and more hollow.

To sum up:
The car is fun, full of great tech, and stylish. But there are some significant issues. We got it at a great price considering the federal tax credit and the state rebate. So, the car has both positive and negative qualities, but overall I’m happy. We wanted to get into EV’s and this car was our way in. I’m looking forward to see what the other car companies can offer in a price range that is reasonable.

Appreciate the detailed follow-up!

Old 06-14-2023, 10:44 AM

12,379 posts, read 9,473,336 times
So, re the wind noise - is the wind noise higher than in a typical vehicle, or do you just notice it more without the engine noise? I understood these vehicles to have a low Cd, and I'd expect they would also be quiet re wind noise then - turbulent air is noisy air...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla