Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Why would they? They have a very profitable operation going as it is. When they do invest in greener, they typically have it as a subsidiary.
Because the oil is not eternal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 01:35 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
Because the oil is not eternal
Try telling that to the oil companies down there. For the foreseeable future, we will be able to have some use for it. They can clean up the oil and reduce the stress on the environment, but oil will be here for quite some time.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:11 PM

226 posts, read 560,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Whats the average cost to filling that truck from empty.?

I have the smaller tank in mine. I believe 26 gallon. I usually fill up when half empty. It usually takes around $30.00 to $40.00 depending on prices. The last time I filled up on half of tank, it was around $35.00.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:32 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
The oil lobby is too powerful and the culture that they helped create is too ingrained. I would love to see the end of the $36.5 Billion annual total in subsidies to the oil industry (Obama budget seeks to end oil, gas subsidies | Reuters) and instead put that money into technology that reduces conventional air pollution (like ozone) plus reduce CO2.

I was thinking of getting an electric vehicle but I bike to work and fill my tank up every 3-4 weeks now so the payoff (cost differential between an EV and a normal internal combustion engined car) would probably never happen.

An EV as a second car makes perfect sense as you could still use the conventional cars for long trips.

From the local paper (Statesman):

"Coulomb Technologies Inc. expects to start installing public charging stations in Austin during the third quarter of this year. Austin is one of nine cities slated to receive the stations, which are to be paid for by a federal grant. In addition, Austin Energy expects to start installing public charging stations throughout the city late this year."

Old 08-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Just curious. Are these charging stations free, and if so, is there a possibility that commuters of these EV's eventually be charged for charging their vehicles?

Old 08-12-2010, 09:17 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,548,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05chevy View Post
Just curious. Are these charging stations free, and if so, is there a possibility that commuters of these EV's eventually be charged for charging their vehicles?
Well, as you know, aint nothing really "free."

Some sites such as employers, and some apartment complexes plan to install them as "benefits," or adders, for sales purposes.

But at the end of the day, it is another sales outlet, with expenses, overhead, maintenance, on and on. Some of the locations are purposed to be like a vending machine, where the site has some mark-up price for the product.

Yunno, you do bring up another point as to whether Scales and Measures folks that check and monitor gas pumps will be involved in regulation of this.

Texas Department of Agriculture

Old 08-13-2010, 11:21 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwcre8tive View Post
I'm planning on purchasing an electric vehicle within the next year. Texas isn't doing as much as other states in terms of infrastructure preparation, but there's still progress being made. The City of Houston has been very active, and charging stations are being installed across the state (check out the map here of current EV charge stations). Reliant and other Texas energy providers are launching energy plans specific to EV owners. In Dallas new apartment complexes have been including EV charge stations as an amenity to residents. As new EVs come on the market we'll see more infrastructure throughout the state, though it may be slow at first (although Texas will be one of the early states to get the Nissan Leaf). While it's not going to impact long-distance travel, the EV is a perfect city car for most commuters. Here is a list of Texas incentives.
Sadly that is a grossly inadequate map. There are numerous public charging stations in Austin Tx that are not shown on that map.

I'm seeing quite a few electric vehicles, cars and scooters in Austin, TX. They are catching on, the City even offers rebates if you buy one.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:34 AM

No thanks. I'll stick with my oil burner.

Signed, Non-PC.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:44 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,343 times
I'd love to have an electric car for commuting, but I don't think I've seen any charging stations in downtown Dallas. Not to say there aren't any. I may just be looking in the wrong places.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:58 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenaudFR View Post
What is the strategy of Texas and Texas cities for the electric cars ? I'm a real supporter of this kind of car, it's the future and it's a great thing to eliminate the dependance to oil !
I know you can have tax credits from Feds (7000$) and in California too (5000$ + 7000$ from feds), but in Texas ? In Houston or Austin ?
Do you think one can make it from Houston Texas to Dumas Texas in 11 hours? If so I might be interested......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas