Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 08:44 AM

19 posts, read 45,281 times

Advertisements

So I am looking for some insight on this decision to move. I am a military brat and I have been living near Jacksonville Florida for 15 years and I hate it here. The crime rate is awful and everything is to expensive for what you get!!!! It would be me and my partner of 8yrs and are 2 kids (we are both white and are kids are mixed but look more Hispanic). My wife as I call her is from that area but she was 11yrs old when she left. We are lesbians but probably the most conservative ones you will find; as most people tell us we are not the typical lesbian couple. We are boring and keep to ourselves; we do not do gay parades or hang gay pride flags I do not believe in that. I am who God made me and I am just me and my wife is the same. Most people think that I am a dude because I usually keep my hair short for comfort. We have strong religious beliefs and wouldn’t mind finding a church that was expecting of us; I would like my kids to grow up with good values. I visited there briefly and liked the slower pace, and friendliness of everyone that I encountered. I have been a stay at home parent for 3 years, but I am looking to go back to work. My background consist of law enforcement and corrections (adult&juvenile); I really would like to work with juveniles again either in a correctional setting or residential. My wife runs a 2 million dollar Orthotic and Prosthetic company and would like to try and stay in that field. So any insight would be great or opinions, we are looking to move by next summer either to Wichita Falls or Burk. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 08:32 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
Wichita Falls is very much a medical center for that area of northern Texas and southern Oklahoma so that should be a plus for your partner. There is a large state prison in the edge of WF as well as a private mental hospital and a large state mental hospital, so those might be a posssibilty for you. The cost of living in WF is much less than most cities its size, housing is very reasonable. The crime rate is higher than it used to be (guess it is everywhere, tho....), but it's mainly on the downtown and east side of town....you'll feel safest living in the west/southwest part of town.
WF is a conservative town, but because of the air force base and the university it is very accepting 'strangers' and people who live a little different lifestyle than many of them do.

Websites for employment and schools....

Texas Department of Criminal Justice - Employment (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/list-employment.htm - broken link)

United Regional Health Care System: URHCS of Wichita Falls, Texas

Wichita Falls ISD

Welcome to Kell West Regional Hospital

Red River Hospital - Wichita Falls, Texas

North Texas State Hospital | Texas Department of State Health Services

Best wishes to your family......

Old 08-18-2010, 10:27 PM

194 posts, read 306,258 times
Wichita Falls sounds like a good choice for you and your family. The Allred Unit (TDCJ) is always hiring, though it's adults. There was a youth unit near/in Vernon (40 miles away) .. not sure if that is still open.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:30 AM

19 posts, read 45,281 times
Thank you for your posts they are very helpful I am getting sooo excited to move away from this place; I know that it is hot there but it is 100 deg. plus humidity here!!!! The traffic is bad here, most people are rude unless they are from out of town or have home training, and what was the safe part of town is not so safe anymore!!! I know that my family is going to run into people that do not agree with how we live, but I have that here, so at least there I will be happier because I am hoping that it is a lot less drama!!!!

Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 PM

5 posts, read 12,774 times
There is 1 gay club here. There are many "old school" people here, and this is a very religious town, so I would expect some naysayers. But we do have a good sized G & L community, and many haven't had any issues. I guess what I am saying, is that here in Wichita Falls, there are all different types of people, so you will never know what to expect.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:57 PM

568 posts, read 2,420,592 times
My mother-in-law and her "wife" have been together for over 20 years in this town and I've yet to hear any stories of them ever running into any troubles for their lifestyle here.

Old 05-08-2016, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,044 times
My wife and I just moved here Monday 5-2-2016 and we love it so far we live on the east side and everybody is really nice so far we love our place I found on c/l it's a older part of town but it was really easy to find everything an you get to drive fast 45-75 mh in most places I'm from Missouri where you have to drive 35-60

Old 05-09-2016, 06:32 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,990,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles-love View Post
My wife and I just moved here Monday 5-2-2016 and we love it so far we live on the east side and everybody is really nice so far we love our place I found on c/l it's a older part of town but it was really easy to find everything an you get to drive fast 45-75 mh in most places I'm from Missouri where you have to drive 35-60
Welcome. I've lived here almost 50 years. It suits me, I hope you enjoy it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas