Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 09:01 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times

Advertisements

posted a link today to WSJ video story about how companies are ranking state school above ivy league type ones for what they are getting on their recuiting calls and new hires
Texas A&M was ranked in top 3 of best schools for what companies throught they got for their recruiting efforts and the story makes a point to mention how internships are the new way to the hiring office--
so from that I would definitely think IF YOU CAN GET IN that TAMU is the best choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:21 AM

252 posts, read 724,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
You do realize Lubbock has been shown to have one of the higher disposable incomes in the nation when cost of living is taken into account. I get you don't like Lubbock, but you come up with the weirdest BS when talking about it.
I lived in both cities. College Station's cost of living is not much higher than Lubbock so your point isn't that significant.

Sounds like you're just being defensive.

So it's weird for me to say that it is easier to get a part-time job in College Station that's relevant to your major as compared to Lubbock because College Station simply has a stronger white-collar workforce? Hell, Texas A&M literally spends eight times more on research annually than Texas Tech.

I went to both Tech and A&M. From experience, I disagree entirely with TexasVines. A&M is a research institution and there are A LOT of jobs that revolve around that which Tech does not have. Plus, again, College Station overall has a stronger white-collar workforce.

So it's BS to suggest that Lubbock has better opportunities than College Station to find part-time employment that relates to your major. EVERY single part-time job I had while at A&M related to my major and my future career prospects. A&M is a research school with a ton of research opportunities.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:37 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis7 View Post
Hello everyone,

I was just wondering which of these schools (Texas Tech vs Texas A&M) has a better engineering program? I am particularly interested in their under grad Industrial Engineering programs. All things being equal (GPA, extra curricular activity, internship etc) between candidates, which candidate would be looked favorably by employers.

Thanks in advance
The engineering school at Texas Tech was placed on probation by the SACS in 2007 citing deficiencies in the curriculum and student competencies. I think the school actually lost its SACS accreditation following post-probation review, but I don't know that for certain. Whether accreditation was lost or not, that's a pretty nasty smear for a technical university and a lot of people in hiring positions are aware of Tech's reputation.

In Texas, any oil & gas company is going to hire almost exclusively from the UT and A&M petro-engineering pool. U of H would be next in line.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
posted a link today to WSJ video story about how companies are ranking state school above ivy league type ones for what they are getting on their recuiting calls and new hires
Texas A&M was ranked in top 3 of best schools for what companies throught they got for their recruiting efforts and the story makes a point to mention how internships are the new way to the hiring office--
so from that I would definitely think IF YOU CAN GET IN that TAMU is the best choice
I have a cousin and a sibling who are both civil engineers. One graduated from Columbia and the other from Texas A&M. One literally was unable to get an engineering job and claims that his education was insufficient; specifically "I don't really feel like I learned anything in college". He managed to land a great job in LA working for an CG animation outfit (not related to civil engineering) but that tanked in 2008. I think he's drawn a few unemployment checks, actually. The other got the job she wanted immediately after graduation and is still doing it.

The Ivy leagues will have big names teaching classes, but those big names have big egos and they are likely to have their name on a class as part of a grant agreement and the result is a busy, stuck-up, self-important professor who teaches two classes each semester and leaves the rest up to his or her TA's. A&M has a very different staff culture.

Old 09-16-2010, 02:09 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triwing View Post
I lived in both cities. College Station's cost of living is not much higher than Lubbock so your point isn't that significant.

Sounds like you're just being defensive.

So it's weird for me to say that it is easier to get a part-time job in College Station that's relevant to your major as compared to Lubbock because College Station simply has a stronger white-collar workforce? Hell, Texas A&M literally spends eight times more on research annually than Texas Tech.

I went to both Tech and A&M. From experience, I disagree entirely with TexasVines. A&M is a research institution and there are A LOT of jobs that revolve around that which Tech does not have. Plus, again, College Station overall has a stronger white-collar workforce.

So it's BS to suggest that Lubbock has better opportunities than College Station to find part-time employment that relates to your major. EVERY single part-time job I had while at A&M related to my major and my future career prospects. A&M is a research school with a ton of research opportunities.
I think you misread my post. I was only referring to the part I bolded. I can't really comment on the rest of your post since I simply don't have the experience and that very well may be the case, but it is an outright lie to claim that Lubbock is poor ouside of Tech. You talk like you never explored Lubbock beyond the east side.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:17 PM

15 posts, read 75,354 times
Thank you all once again for your informative posts.
jimboburnsy comment about UTT accreditation issue is definitely a red light. Although I am not sure what the difference between ABET and SACS accreditation is.... I have overlooked another possible program (Manufacturing Engineering @ Texas State) for not having ABET accreditation posted on their web.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 PM

611 posts, read 2,235,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
The engineering school at Texas Tech was placed on probation by the SACS in 2007 citing deficiencies in the curriculum and student competencies. I think the school actually lost its SACS accreditation following post-probation review, but I don't know that for certain. Whether accreditation was lost or not, that's a pretty nasty smear for a technical university and a lot of people in hiring positions are aware of Tech's reputation.

In Texas, any oil & gas company is going to hire almost exclusively from the UT and A&M petro-engineering pool. U of H would be next in line.

you are a complete and total idiot

the SACS does not accredit engineering programs moron.....the ABET does

and TTU (the entire university) was placed was placed on SACS accreditation probation not because of the false points that you state, but because an administrator failed to turn in several pieces of paper to SACS and SACS even said that omission in no way reflected on the quality of the education at the university and it only reflected the fact that SACS needed to have the paperwork turned in even if they 100% knew that TTU was meeting and exceeding all their criteria for accreditation

the paper work was quickly turned in and upon review Texas Tech was 100% accredited and the administrators in question were fired

so lets go over where you have no clue what you are talking about

the SACS does not accredit engineering programs the ABET does idiot

TTU never lost their accreditation and there was never a chance they were going to dolt

the SACS specifically said the exact opposite if what you are claiming and specifically said that the education at TTU met or exceeded the standards, but it was the clerical omission that caused the probation fool

and TTU was fully accredited once the paper work was turned in and the review was completed imbecile

what ever university you went to should be proud to have such a fool representing them on the WWW with such little grasp of what they are talking about as to be wrong on nearly every point you were trying to make in your post......well done stupid

and Gen7 TxState was not accredited because their program was new and it takes several years to get accreditation

they have been fully ABET accredited now and as you will see it is retroactive to 2008 when accreditation was first sought

and their programs will deal mainly with semi-conductors though I am sure they have plans to expand outward from there

Manufacturing Engineering Program Receives ABET Accreditation : School of Engineering : Texas State University

Congratulations to the Manufacturing Engineering program on receiving ABET accreditation this August 2010! The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology is ‘the recognized accreditor for college and university programs in applied science, computing, engineering, and technology, is a federation of 30 professional and technical societies representing these fields. Among the most respected accreditation organizations in the U.S., ABET has provided leadership and quality assurance in higher education for over 75 years.”1 The accreditation is retroactive to October 1, 2008 and will be active until September 30th, 2012 when the next report will be due.
This accreditation highlights the Ingram School of Engineering’s commitment to providing quality education to students during their time at Texas State University-San Marcos. Faculty and staff worked diligently towards this recent achievement and are proud to offer Manufacturing Engineering students an ABET accredited program. Currently, ABET accreditation for both the Electrical Engineering program and the Industrial Engineering program are underway.

also here is the latest on TAMU and TTU's engineering programs

Guide to a Career in Engineering - WSJ.com

Last edited by TexasVines; 09-16-2010 at 05:05 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 05:40 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times
Texas A&M > Texas Technical College.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:07 PM

611 posts, read 2,235,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post

just one last thing to make you look completely useless and clueless

if an oil and gas company in Texas was going to hire from the actual "petro-engineering pool" it would be impossible for them to hire from UH "third" because UH did not offer an actual petroleum engineering undergrad degree until fall of 2009

New Petroleum Engineering Undergraduate Degree to Launch at UH in Fall

UH has always had a strong chemical engineering program and they have offered graduate petroleum engineering courses through the chemical engineering program and chemical engineers are often hired in the oil patch, but if a company was looking to hire someone specifically with a petroleum engineering degree then UH would not have been an option in ANY place on the list because they just started their undergrad program

if you are going to offer advice on universities and university education at least TRY and have some semblance of a clue of what you are talking about instead of making yourself look like a complete and total fool

your post was nothing but ignorance wrapped in stupidity filled with falsehoods

but hey other than that it was very helpful

Old 09-16-2010, 07:42 PM

252 posts, read 724,592 times
Quote:
if you are going to offer advice on universities and university education at least TRY and have some semblance of a clue of what you are talking about instead of making yourself look like a complete and total fool
You could take that advice yourself considering that you were trying to say earlier that Lubbock has substantially more part-time, major-relevant jobs than College Station.

Hahahaha.

Dude, you're not winning anyone over to your side with the childish insults.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas