Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:01 PM

14 posts, read 25,948 times

Advertisements

I'd like to start looking for a job in Texas, since my family would love to move to a warmer climate. I'm a single mom and need to move to a safe area and good schools. I'd like to be able to buy a house under $120,000. Also, my kids are bi-racial, Blk/Wht and I want to make sure they can also be with kids like themselves. Can anyone point out certain areas that would fit us?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 09:23 PM

33 posts, read 85,174 times
Odessa sounds good for you

Old 12-29-2010, 01:07 PM

64 posts, read 104,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldel12 View Post

Odessa? How so? Being originally from Big Spring (which is about 40 miles north east of Odessa), I had found that area not very tolerant of diversity at all...

Both towns are oil towns with Odessa being the supposed “blue collar” part of the business and Midland being the “white collar” side. Granted, this is an impression over 20 years old and thing may have changed since then...

As far as a town that would be good for a single 30-something mom, I’d suggest Austin. Much more to do and the town is certainly geared for that age group. Austin is much more accepting of all sorts of different lifestyles, politics, religions, art-music, etc., etc. Austin is often called “an island of blue in a sea of red”.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaxon View Post
Odessa? How so? Being originally from Big Spring (which is about 40 miles north east of Odessa), I had found that area not very tolerant of diversity at all...

Both towns are oil towns with Odessa being the supposed “blue collar” part of the business and Midland being the “white collar” side. Granted, this is an impression over 20 years old and thing may have changed since then...

As far as a town that would be good for a single 30-something mom, I’d suggest Austin. Much more to do and the town is certainly geared for that age group. Austin is much more accepting of all sorts of different lifestyles, politics, religions, art-music, etc., etc. Austin is often called “an island of blue in a sea of red”.
Yes, My mother visited Austin and loved it. "Keep Austin weird" not sure though if the housing is my price range of $120,000.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:25 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,887,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityQt313 View Post
Yes, My mother visited Austin and loved it. "Keep Austin weird" not sure though if the housing is my price range of $120,000.
There are options in that price range in Austin suburbs of Cedar Park, Round Rock, and Pflugerville. Also some of the suburbs to the south. Not exactly "Austin Weird", and quite suburban in nature, but within easy driving distance.

Keep in mind, though, that it isn't easy to find a job in Austin -- despite the lower unemployment rate, the job market here is small and quite competitive.

Old 12-30-2010, 03:39 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,500 times
Houston sounds like the right choice for you. Austin is a bit overrated when it comes to acceptance and diversity. Houston is much more cosmopolitan.

Old 12-30-2010, 02:28 PM

Thank you, Houston seems to keep coming mind ;-)

Old 12-30-2010, 04:22 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,274,061 times
The city of Houston is very diverse. Seriously you can find demographic maps online to prove it. You would without a doubt fit in. We live in a Houston suburb that is probably 70% Anglo, but people don't put up with racial stuff out here. Way different from the place I grew up in where my family was one of the few minorities. The school district here was rated exemplary. Other Houston suburbs would fit the bill, too.

Old 01-01-2011, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityQt313 View Post
I'd like to start looking for a job in Texas, since my family would love to move to a warmer climate. I'm a single mom and need to move to a safe area and good schools. I'd like to be able to buy a house under $120,000. Also, my kids are bi-racial, Blk/Wht and I want to make sure they can also be with kids like themselves. Can anyone point out certain areas that would fit us?

Thanks
I would guess you belong in Baytown....lots of mixed up couples and kids there.

When I lived there.....first I wondered why there were so many white women w/ blk men, then I realized it was because all the white men were taken by the blk women. Go figure.

I have moved...

Neighborhoods range from ghetto to middle class. I think they even have public transportation now. All you need is right there. Down the road is Pasadena....there you can go brown.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:19 PM

143 posts, read 320,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldel12 View Post
Must be a joke.

I think many of our major cities have military bases nearby so there are many bi-racial couples/children living there too. Houston probably would be more diverse. Maybe San Antonio. Either way I think you'll be fine here in Texas.

I personally like Corpus Christi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas