Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 02:03 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
And Lake Maurepas is an outlet to Pontchartrain. Baton Rouge is not directly next to an actual estuary, but like Houston is connected to the Gulf thru channels. Yes, Houston is closer to the actual "sea" than Baton Rouge, but is still more comparable in set up than NO. "Way too far" is an extreme exaggeration.

Baton Rouge - Google Maps
Houston - Google Maps

My opinion is based on the fact that unlike BR, many parts of Greater Houston touch Galveston Bay and the Gulf. The Clear Lake area is within Houston's city limits (barely), but it sits on an outlet to the Gulf. The metropolitan area of Baton Rouge doesn't really touch the sea the way many parts of Greater Houston does and is about 70-80 miles inland from the sea as the crow flies versus DT Houston being 50 miles inland from the sea, but parts of Houston sit right on Galveston Bay.

Sure, there are parts of Greater Houston such as Cinco Ranch or The Woodlands or Sugar Land or the FM 1960/Tomball/Northwest area that are pretty far removed from the coastal areas, but then you have Baytown, Kemah, Seabrook, Texas City, LaPorte, League City, Galveston, etc. that are just as much a part of overall metropolitan area. I can see the BR comparison when it comes to some inland parts of Houston, but I always thought of Houston being more comparable to Orlando in terms of how the main city itself and many parts of the metro might not be by the sea, but parts of the Metro area are very much connected to it - Volusia County/Daytona is now considered a part of the Orlando CSA (there are many commuters from Deltona to Orlando). Brevard County/Space Coast isn't technically a part of Orlando, but is very much a part of Central Florida as it receives Orlando TV stations, radio, etc., major air service is at Orlando Airport, blah, blah, blah...I'd argue that Galveston County is a lot more connected to Houston than those examples, but you get the picture...

Last edited by grindin; 01-19-2011 at 02:12 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
My opinion is based on the fact that unlike BR, many parts of Greater Houston touch Galveston Bay and the Gulf. The Clear Lake area is within Houston's city limits (barely), but it sits on an outlet to the Gulf. The metropolitan area of Baton Rouge doesn't really touch the sea the way many parts of Greater Houston does and is about 70-80 miles inland from the sea as the crow flies versus DT Houston being 50 miles inland from the sea, but parts of Houston sit right on Galveston Bay.

Sure, there are parts of Greater Houston such as Cinco Ranch or The Woodlands or Sugar Land or the FM 1960/Tomball/Northwest area that are pretty far removed from the coastal areas, but then you have Baytown, Kemah, Seabrook, Texas City, LaPorte, League City, Galveston, etc. that are just as much a part of overall metropolitan area. I can see the BR comparison when it comes to some inland parts of Houston, but I always thought of Houston being more comparable to Orlando in terms of how the main city itself and many parts of the metro might not be by the sea, but parts of the Metro area are very much connected to it - Volusia County/Daytona is now considered a part of the Orlando CSA (there are many commuters from Deltona to Orlando). Brevard County/Space Coast isn't technically a part of Orlando, but is very much a part of Central Florida as it receives Orlando TV stations, radio, etc., major air service is at Orlando Airport, blah, blah, blah...I'd argue that Galveston County is a lot more connected to Houston than those examples, but you get the picture...
I can definitely agree with that

Old 01-19-2011, 02:52 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
You would be wrong. There are a species of palms that ARE native to Dallas. Just south of downtown Dallas there is a large grove of native palms.
They're actually called Dwarf Palmettos, which have underground trunks & grow to a maximum height of about 3 feet with their long pointed fronds being the main feature.

They are also more native to Eastern Texas, especially in the Piney Woods down around Beaumont, which is indeed coastal Texas.

Some how centuries ago they migrated that far north & stuck there ever since. The palm itself is actually very cold hardy, which is needed for its survival in North Texas where winter time temperatures can dip down into the teens as we've very well seen just a couple of weeks ago.

I have one in my backyard here in Tyler as a matter of fact.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah; your stadiums sits in a suburb.

Yeah; I forget about those...., but it fits the Houston image much more than Dallas. Dallas sits approx. 5 hours from the coast; while Houston sits less than 45 minutes from it.
Fixed.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Dallas has palm trees? The only palm trees I remember seeing in Dallas were the tacky little shrubs in front yards in some random subdivisions. Learn something new everyday.
Technically they are palms, but nothing grand like you see down around Houston & Coastal Texas.

The Mexican Fan Palm is widely popular in Dallas because its readily available at any Home Depot versus Houston where they actually have acres of palm tree farms growing various species of palm from seedlings. Houston's climate is ideal for tropical vegetation to thrive in.

Winter temperatures in Houston are on average 5-10 degrees warmer than Dallas (which can mean life or death of a palm tree) depending on what side of town you're in. Galveston rarely gets below freezing & Coconut Trees have been grown down there quite successfully.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-19-2011 at 03:08 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 03:07 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I agree that Houston Galleria is a lot more comparable to Northpark than Galleria Dallas.

Before Northpark expanded, it felt a lot more exclusive and intimate, but a lot of upscale stores went to Northpark after the expansion, that normally would've went to the Galleria, and the Galleria began bleeding a lot of the upscale type of retail that it used to attract. It's not a bad mall, but I could tell that it didn't have the panache that it used to. It still straddles the middle-to-upper tier if that makes any sense. Also, the neighborhood around the Galleria has definitely changed. It's much different from back in the 80's when my relatives in Mississippi would make special trips to Dallas to shop there. If Northpark and Houston Galleria were South Coast Plaza, Tysons Corner or Lenox/Phipps, Galleria Dallas would be Montgomery Mall, Aventura Mall or Perimeter Mall. Still mid-to-upscale shopping, but not the premier destination in the area.

I know the Saks closed up at Willow Bend in Plano, but I've heard rumors that Saks at Galleria Dallas may close too.

I usually ignore A&M Bulldog's posts, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that Riverchase Galleria in Birmingham has a similar footprint and layout to Galleria Dallas. Riverchase even has the hotel and office tower as part of its complex the same way the Galleria does. All it's missing is the ice rink.

As for Houston, I think it's location in relation to the coast is comparable to Orlando (if you consider Daytona Beach/Volusia County as part of Metro Orlando's catchment area) or New Orleans (parts of Metro Houston sit on a large estuary like New Orleans does because Lake Pontchartrain is not really a lake, but an outlet of the gulf) than Baton Rouge (way too far inland).
WOW, grindin! Have I done something to you, too? Dang, y'all know y'all can hurt my feelings, seriously. Oh well. Life goes on, I guess.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:14 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
WOW, grindin! Have I done something to you, too? Dang, y'all know y'all can hurt my feelings, seriously. Oh well. Life goes on, I guess.

Just stop. No one is picking on you.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:18 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
Yes, y'all are. But I will live, and I'm not trying to feel vulnerable. Y'all make it seem like I'm such a big disturbance or something. I don't do anything to hurt anybody. I'm just a curious dude. If I've done anything wrong to you guys, I'm sorry. I really am!

Old 01-19-2011, 04:12 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,580,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Dallas has palm trees? The only palm trees I remember seeing in Dallas were the tacky little shrubs in front yards in some random subdivisions. Learn something new everyday.
Dallas has quite a number of palm trees. I was recently there and amazed by how many I saw because I didn't remember them before. Or maybe I just didn't pay attention.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
Dallas has quite a number of palm trees. I was recently there and amazed by how many I saw because I didn't remember them before. Or maybe I just didn't pay attention.
Yeah over the past 10 years or so Dallas has really been over doing it with the Mexican Fans. I'm sure the local Home Depots are not complaining though where they're readily available.

Comparing what little palms Dallas has to Houston is a joke. Houston is more like Florida when it comes to palm planting. They're apart of almost every new development. Some of Houston's palms are easily 60-100 years old or more while the palm craze just recently hit Dallas about 10 years ago.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 01-19-2011 at 04:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas