Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:37 PM

96 posts, read 209,650 times

Advertisements

Yeah, but I'm meaner than Judge Roy Bean. (lol)

I googled Sanderson and it sure is in the desert. Pretty area. Pecos is kind of interesting, being on the interstate and all that. Probably closer to some things an old guy might need now and then like things found in Odessa.
I appreciate all your input. I've got some time so I'm taking all this in. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 03:36 PM

Default Hill Country???

Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
While in that area you might want to check out a few of the other smaller towns that have fairly easy access to larger cities. Menard and Mason come to mind as two, with Mason having seen something of a renaissance and Menard sort of holding its own. Llano, Brady, and other small towns around the area might meet your needs too. These aren't true "desert" towns - tied more to the Hill Country culture, but still quite a bit nicer than places like Eagle Pass and Del Rio.

Well, you got me to thinking so I bought a magazine about the Hill Country today.
I'm not in a hurry to make my move but wanted to at least start thinking about some places so I will be somewhat prepared when the time comes.
Thanks.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:29 AM

OK, there are problems with the Hill Country. From what I've learned it's made up of mostly rich old wrinkled retired people. Not the kind of lifestyle I would fit into. The Texas Coast is nice, I've been there a lot, but too expensive. I think I would prefer the desert weather too.
Thanks y'all.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:10 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,075,290 times
Far west Texas or southern New Mexico.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootertoo View Post
I'm an old guy and a semi-retired professional artist. I would like to move from the DFW mess to a quiet little place in the desert where it's warm and the sun shines a lot. I can't afford Marfa or Alpine and was thinking about maybe Del Rio. Do any of you have any thoughts on that? I love the border culture as I used to spend half my time in South Texas in the Rio Grande Valley. I liked that area but now it's too crowded just like DFW. Thanks.
Alamogordo or Deming -- not in Texas but more desert and small towns with plenty of retirees. Las Cruces but it might cost more.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:37 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,164,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Alamogordo or Deming -- not in Texas but more desert and small towns with plenty of retirees.
I wouldn't recommend either of those places to someone who plans to continue in the arts field - unless they have solidly established gallery representation already. Las Cruces would be a good option since it has a fairly good tourist trade and permanent residents who are good clients for southwestern themed art. It also has the advantage of being close to El Paso with a much larger population base, medical facilities and other such things a retiree might eventually need.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 AM

Default I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Far west Texas or southern New Mexico.
I think you're right. I like places like Terlingua, Sanderson, Ft. Stockton and southern New Mexico. When I was a kid I drove through southern New Mexico a couple of times and I remember how open the desert was. I like that.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:07 PM

32 posts, read 82,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootertoo View Post
I think you're right. I like places like Terlingua, Sanderson, Ft. Stockton and southern New Mexico. When I was a kid I drove through southern New Mexico a couple of times and I remember how open the desert was. I like that.
I don't know what town or city you will choose but I can really relate to your love of the desert. I have likewise enjoyed all my trips in the areas you have mentioned. I have some relatives in Tucson and years ago as a child took trips there on the rails -- the Texas and Pacific 'Texas Eagle' DFW to El Paso and then the Southern Pacific 'Sunset Limited' from El Paso to Tucson. The sunrise in the desert from the train window was so breathtaking. I hope you find the perfect town and enjoy your future years in the great Southwest.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:38 PM

89 posts, read 203,377 times
Why not Fort Davis? That is the kind of place I envision myself retiring?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
DerekTant: Fort Davis is my favorite place in Texas. I agree completely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas