Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
I have legitimate concerns that my future red-headed, blue eyed grandkids won't have the best opportunities in this state once Lationo's rise to 75%.

I never said there was anything wrong with hispanics as the leading ethnicity in Texas.

I said I believe many white people will leave when the state becomes about 75% hispanic.

Not all whites feel comfortable living in a majority hispanic state.
As a mexican-american, I don't think that most of us hold that much of a grudge against non-MAs. I think that # decreases more as the older generations die off. So, there is really nothing to worry about. But if it makes a few haters leave the State, that might be a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 01:01 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,707,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbro View Post
And those whites now know how minorities feel.
Yes, you're right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I'm curious why you have concerns? What is it about Latinos that hampers opportunity? My family was one of about 4 Mexican families in a poor white neighborhood in E. Tx. A large percentage of my white childhood playmates spent time in the pen, and some are still there. I suppose you could say that living among white people should have hindered my opportunity, but that was hardly the case.
My concern for whites when Latino's become a majority (ex:75%) is about many things from friendships at school - business promotions. I'm glad you didn't fall into crime like a large percentage of your white classmates. Lol, gotta be careful in poor white neighborhoods too. But maybe that brings up a good point. Maybe my concern has more to do with socioeconomics. Right now in Houston the majority of Mexicans are poor. They struggle in many areas from academics - crime. So my concern may be that once their #'s rise, my white grandkids won't be surrounded by the level of socioeconomics (often hand in hand with opportunity) that I have experienced as a white, middle-class Texan. My concern is that the current opportunities won't be here in 2035. I'm not so much worried about being surrounded by hispanics- heck Mexico is my favorite destination spot partly because of the nice people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
As a mexican-american, I don't think that most of us hold that much of a grudge against non-MAs. I think that # decreases more as the older generations die off. So, there is really nothing to worry about. But if it makes a few haters leave the State, that might be a good thing.
Well, grudge holding wasn't a part of my concern. I think most of us are beyond that & see each other as humans- at least I hope. Agree with you that haters leaving TX is a good thing.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
Yes, you're right.

My concern for whites when Latino's become a majority (ex:75%) is about many things from friendships at school - business promotions. I'm glad you didn't fall into crime like a large percentage of your white classmates. Lol, gotta be careful in poor white neighborhoods too. But maybe that brings up a good point. Maybe my concern has more to do with socioeconomics. Right now in Houston the majority of Mexicans are poor. They struggle in many areas from academics - crime. So my concern may be that once their #'s rise, my white grandkids won't be surrounded by the level of socioeconomics (often hand in hand with opportunity) that I have experienced as a white, middle-class Texan. My concern is that the current opportunities won't be here in 2035. I'm not so much worried about being surrounded by hispanics- heck Mexico is my favorite destination spot partly because of the nice people.

Well, grudge holding wasn't a part of my concern. I think most of us are beyond that & see each other as humans- at least I hope. Agree with you that haters leaving TX is a good thing.
You are probably right about Houston being so predominately poor,uneducated immigrants from Mexico and other places. I have forgotten how bad it is over there. the last time that I visited Houston was in the late 80s. I was amazed at how many immigrants (illegal or otherwise) that I saw. I'm sure that it's worse now. I called a Hou hotel yesterday to make a reservation and was surprised that nobody was english speaking (poor grammar). I asked them if it was a call center in another country. It wasn't. That's who they hire for these jobs in Houston.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:47 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
You are probably right about Houston being so predominately poor,uneducated immigrants from Mexico and other places. I have forgotten how bad it is over there. the last time that I visited Houston was in the late 80s. I was amazed at how many immigrants (illegal or otherwise) that I saw. I'm sure that it's worse now. I called a Hou hotel yesterday to make a reservation and was surprised that nobody was english speaking (poor grammar). I asked them if it was a call center in another country. It wasn't. That's who they hire for these jobs in Houston.
That was the 80's man this is 2011. Houston has alot of residents that speak poor english. However those residents come from all over the planet and being that they are learning a new langauge there english might not be as sharp. But they do bring wealth into the city. I don't realize that Houston is predominately poor. It's cities in the midwest that would put Houston to shame when it comes to being poor and broken thanks to the economy. Houston has changed since the 80's and it's been progressive change not a decline slope.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:19 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
That was the 80's man this is 2011. Houston has alot of residents that speak poor english. However those residents come from all over the planet and being that they are learning a new langauge there english might not be as sharp. But they do bring wealth into the city. I don't realize that Houston is predominately poor. It's cities in the midwest that would put Houston to shame when it comes to being poor and broken thanks to the economy. Houston has changed since the 80's and it's been progressive change not a decline slope.
Houston isn't predominately poor and I have no idea what he's talking about. San Antonio is actually the poorest major metro area in Texas.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:11 PM

448 posts, read 919,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Houston isn't predominately poor and I have no idea what he's talking about. San Antonio is actually the poorest major metro area in Texas.
Intersting. Where are you getting your information?

Here's a quote from CNN Money-
Of the 52 largest metro areas with more than 1 million residents, only San Antonio did not record a loss. The city's median income grew 0.5% to $47,698. The article was published Sept. 2010.

Washington, D.C., posts highest median income in 2009 - Sep. 28, 2010

Old 02-24-2011, 11:31 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
Intersting. Where are you getting your information?

Here's a quote from CNN Money-
Of the 52 largest metro areas with more than 1 million residents, only San Antonio did not record a loss. The city's median income grew 0.5% to $47,698. The article was published Sept. 2010.

Washington, D.C., posts highest median income in 2009 - Sep. 28, 2010
San Antonio not recording a loss doesn't mean it isn't the lowest. It is. I was going off of GDP per capita. I believe SA is the lowest large Texas metro for median income, too. It's SA's economy.

Old 02-27-2011, 03:13 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,374,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
San Antonio not recording a loss doesn't mean it isn't the lowest. It is. I was going off of GDP per capita. I believe SA is the lowest large Texas metro for median income, too. It's SA's economy.
San Antonio improved

Old 03-26-2011, 07:19 AM

20 posts, read 16,840 times
Impressive this latino growth ! But Asians are impressive too

Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 AM

415 posts, read 449,818 times
Quote:
Really. I've had my share of anti African American and anti gay slurs from Mexicans. If anything, the haters are moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas