Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 12:03 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,236,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lol, I will set Lakeisha on your skinny arse
Bring it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 12:05 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,853,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Come on ya'll; no need for the hositlity. We need to save that up for the outsiders [and Htownlove!]
I'm not being hostile, I swear lol...but you know what they say, a hit dog will holler.

The arguments for Texas not being southern are so weak, as usual, and seem largely based on outdated stereotypes. When you have one side of the argument that resorts to posting lynching videos...yeah, it's pretty clear whose argument is fallible. Yet my reasoning is dismissed because it doesn't readily support the "Texas is Texas" mantra that some natives think will wipe every other argument away.

But like I said, as someone who is from the South and Texas, I don't really have to defend my position against those who aren't even from the region and have (through their own special way) proved that they've no real clue what they're saying. It is what it is. Put your booy on ignore if my opinions threaten yours that much. But believe me when I say that no one here is worth the mouse clicks lol.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I'm not being hostile, I swear lol...but you know what they say, a hit dog will holler.

The arguments for Texas not being southern are so weak, as usual, and seem largely based on outdated stereotypes. When you have one side of the argument that resorts to posting lynching videos...yeah, it's pretty clear whose argument is fallible. Yet my reasoning is dismissed because it doesn't readily support the "Texas is Texas" mantra that some natives think will wipe every other argument away.

But like I said, as someone who is from the South and Texas, I don't really have to defend my position against those who aren't even from the region and have (through their own special way) proved that they've no real clue what they're saying. It is what it is. Put your booy on ignore if my opinions threaten yours that much. But believe me when I say that no one here is worth the mouse clicks lol.
Well that makes one person who won't be getting an easter basket from me this year

I think it has more to do with embarassment and shame more than anything, because the southern influences are clearly signifcant within Texas major cities. I guess us being African Americans; we tend to see things differently..?? I don't know lol

Old 03-17-2011, 12:12 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,064,454 times
Okay, its fine you think we live in the South, like I said there's evidence to support that and evidence to pull away from that. I'll go with people I know and keep it at Southwest Tejas! Cosmopolitan, its in the food we eat, the stuff we listen to, what we watch, and who we meet. Good enough for me!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:22 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,979,313 times
Quote:
Well that makes one person who won't be getting an easter basket from me this year

I think it has more to do with embarassment and shame more than anything, because the southern influences are clearly signifcant within Texas major cities. I guess us being African Americans; we tend to see things differently..?? I don't know lol
Thats what I cant understand. I can understand how people may dislike the south or wish to move elsewhere, but outright ashamed to BE a southerner? It will never be that serious to me. If anything, Im proud to be the descendant of people who endured such turmoil and unrest. I dont think it honorable in the least when Non southerners gloat about not being from the south. All that means is that their ancestors fled when the going got tough (Civil War, Slavery etc.). Nothing wrong with seeking a better life. But ironically, the same is happening in the converse, as the Great Recession cripples the present day Northern and Western states...Once again, the citizens of those states are fleeing that strife and are making a mass exodus back to that from whence they came -- The south.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:24 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,619,905 times
Oh lord...I should have anticipated that, sooner or later, this thread (like so many others) are eventually going to lead into that never to be settled question of Texas' regional affiliation. This one just never seems to die, and those of us who are veterans of the debate/discussion, usually just "sigh" and get back into it! LOL

As it is, I just got back from the dentist's office, and have some minor surgery scheduled for tomorow...so I guess I better get my licks in here while I can (because they warned me, tomorow, I might be too doped up to do so! LOL).

Anyway, from my own vantage point, where to start is the question? I reckon I'll read more carefully over the posts of last night (after I signed off) and those of today as a start...then reply...

P.S. I apologize ahead of time that this will likely take up many quotes, posts and points. But that is just me! LOL

Old 03-17-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Thats what I cant understand. I can understand how people may dislike the south or wish to move elsewhere, but outright ashamed to BE a southerner? It will never be that serious to me. If anything, Im proud to be the descendant of people who endured such turmoil and unrest. I dont think it honorable in the least when Non southerners gloat about not being from the south. All that means is that their ancestors fled when the going got tough (Civil War, Slavery etc.). Nothing wrong with seeking a better life. But ironically, the same is happening in the converse, as the Great Recession cripples the present day Northern and Western states...Once again, the citizens of those states are fleeing that strife and are making a mass exodus back to that from whence they came -- The south.
True. When I think of myself as a southern and how my people suffered so much; I also think about how much they fought and sought for their freedom and not only were they fighting for salvation in the south, but for the entire country.

We as southeners have very much to be proud of; regardless of what the naysayers think. Think of all the food, music, culture, iconic figures, inventions and more that all orginated in the south. The south is what gave the US life and was a key part in making it what it is today.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:36 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,853,502 times
Quote:
Just put some Peeps in it as punishment and we'll call it even.

Quote:
Or simply the fact that the black communities in these cities tend to have the least transplants and outside influences, so in theory, these areas are the more "real" parts of the city. Someone raised in Midtown Houston or the Galleria may not see much that's southern about the city, but someone from Acres Homes or Sunnyside certainly will.

Like I said before, you can see the Atlantans having similar conversations in their forum.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:36 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,619,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I'd love to see a debate between just you and TexasReb on the proposition: Texas is a culturally Southern state.
LOL Good suggestion, Doc. Of course I would add history to the mix, as culture and history are almost always very inter-related. We can start up a seperate thread on it, with just she and I being the main participants in the debate/discussion. I am game if she is!

BTW-- TexasHorseLady? The above is not intended to talk around you. You and I vehemently disagree on this subject (Texas being essentially part of the South..me yes and you no), but there is NO question on that you and I AGREE on many if not most things that are much more important in the whole scheme of things than Texas regional identification. On classical freedoms, Founding Fathers, etc, we are on the same side of the creek. I have a tremendous amount of respect for your intelligence and knowledge. In a nut-shell you are very worthy opponent and no question on that score!

Old 03-17-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
Just put some Peeps in it as punishment and we'll call it even.

Or simply the fact that the black communities in these cities tend to have the least transplants and outside influences, so in theory, these areas are the more "real" parts of the city. Someone raised in Midtown Houston or the Galleria may not see much that's southern about the city, but someone from Acres Homes or Sunnyside certainly will.

Like I said before, you can see the Atlantans having similar conversations in their forum.
Good point. People fool themselves into thinking they are above the south and its stereotypes and try to fray away from it as much as possible. It kills me how someone can walk up to me sounding like Paula Deen and have the nerve to proclaim themselves as not southern LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas