Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2012, 12:55 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

OK, here's the final hint. W. E. Stewart named the town when his Land Company platted it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:09 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What is the Texas town that was originally named for the man who developed it, a Mr. Stewart. It was laid out with the intention of being segregated, with street names on each side of town intended to reflect the ethnicity of the people settling on each side.
Quote:
Hint: Stewart's name does not appear in the town's name. Rather, the town's name is an acronym for Stewart's company, which contained his name.
Quote:
It's been 48 hours now, so I'll add another hint. This was the hometown of a local high school football star, who died a few years later in WWII under circumstances that attracted national attention.
Quote:
OK, here's the final hint. W. E. Stewart named the town when his Land Company platted it out.
Weslaco, TX

Quote:
WESLACO, TX | The Handbook of Texas Online| Texas State Historical Association (TSHA)

On December 14, 1917, the irrigation company sold 30,000 acres at ninety dollars an acre to the W. E. Stewart Land Company, from which the name Weslaco is derived....

A municipal ordinance of 1921 provided that the land north of the railroad tracks be designated for industry and Hispanic residences and businesses. The area to the south of the tracks was reserved for Anglo residences and businesses. This segregation was a consequence of the farm culture that had introduced the railroad. Weslaco developed as two cities. "El pueblo americano," as the Anglo side of town was called, consisted of well-built frame houses; it had paved streets and enclosed sewers. The Mexican side featured corrugated tin shacks, unpaved roads, and outhouses. Mexican women were supposed to shop on the Anglo side of town early on Saturdays only, and be back in "Mexican Town" by sunset. Streets north of the tracks had Spanish names, business was conducted in Spanish, and schools were established for Mexican children. In "American Town," streets were named for northern states.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Where can this mermaid be found and what does she symbolize?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:24 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Where can this mermaid be found and what does she symbolize?
I am gonna hazard a wild -- but probably incomplete -- answer here. Is it somewhere around San Angelo? And have something to do with an Indian legend?

The reason I say that is because I recall some years ago at an SCV convention, a guy who lived in San Angelo mentioned something about it. Along a river or something...?

Old 01-03-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Weslaco, TX
Correct, of course.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I am gonna hazard a wild -- but probably incomplete -- answer here. Is it somewhere around San Angelo? And have something to do with an Indian legend?

The reason I say that is because I recall some years ago at an SCV convention, a guy who lived in San Angelo mentioned something about it. Along a river or something...?
Partially correct but incomplete and some of that guess is completely off the mark. I will let you guess which part is correct.

Hint: what is she holding in her hand?

Old 01-04-2012, 12:22 PM

She is holding the Concho Pearl, which was the answer to a trivia question I posed several weeks ago. The Concho River once attracted speculators who thought the pearls from clams in that river were commercially exploitable. Texas Reb got the main part of the answer right, so I'll concede the next question to him.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
She is holding the Concho Pearl, which was the answer to a trivia question I posed several weeks ago. The Concho River once attracted speculators who thought the pearls from clams in that river were commercially exploitable. Texas Reb got the main part of the answer right, so I'll concede the next question to him.
That is correct. TexasReb you are up.

Quote:
"Pearl of the Concho Mermaid Statue in San Angelo, Tx.--Color | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sweetchick/5269823710/ - broken link)
"Pearl of the Concho Mermaid Statue in San Angelo, Tx.--Color
This is a photo taken in San Angelo, Tx, on the Concho River. San Angelo is known for the Concho pearl which is a freshwater pearl. This is supposed to be a statue of a freshwater mermaid. At least that's what I have been told. The name of the statue is "The Pearl of the Concho". This statue was placed in this location in June, 1994.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:41 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Ok y'all...let me see if I can ask something that hasn't been asked before (it is getting more and more difficult! LOL).

Anyway, the Alamo chapel is probably the most famous shrine/landmark in Texas and its history. One of the features that many instrinsically associate with this particular building is the famous "hump".

This aspect of the structure today did not exist originally, nor until after the battle. When was it added and by who/whom?

Bonus point for answering why it was added! (note: this is a somewhat trick question).

Old 01-04-2012, 07:09 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
The City of San Antonio leased the Alamo to the US Gov't in 1848, with the federal authority meaning to use the building as an ordinance depot. The parapet above the doors on the (liturgical) west end of the chapel was added under the US authority in the 1850s as part of the structural restoration of the building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas