Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 02:44 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,312,074 times

Advertisements

Once the old money heads of Waco die off and people vote off the city manager and mayor (because it is a good-ole boy network), Waco can expand, I was talking with a lady at Mclennan College and she was saying the same thing how this old money still has there hands in the city and baylor control it all.

Its make no sense for a community( county) with 2 rivers, 3 lakes, and half way between Dallas Austin and Houston to be langing behind like a west texas town or something. Its time for people to vote out the city manager and mayor, and the county tax accesor AF Skeen. Too many great minds leave Waco and I think that real change will happen in the next 5 years. It also dosent hurt that Baylor has a big part in this as well. Also Im tired of this water problem, its a big cover up, please lake Waco could have been cleaned up 10 years ago.

More industries and companies want to come but they want give them any tax breaks. They only give them 5 year tax breaks then most companies will move. What cities can continue to expand. Do you know that the city has a hold on what L3 pays its employees. WTF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skwab View Post
It has steadily grown in population over the years, large employers like L3, Coca Cola, Caterpillar, Baylor are expanding despite the recession, downtown area is being transformed much like Fort Worth's just on a smaller scale.

Oh - and I was afraid of it being too conservative as I am fairly moderate in my views - it's not any different than anywhere else in Texas I have lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 03:52 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,763,645 times
I don't hate Waco, but I don't really care much about it.

Old 03-16-2010, 04:21 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The reason Baylor tried for the library was because they trying to become a more known school with world renowed facilities. The upcoming plans is to try for a Obama Presidental Library if he is elected.
Oh God, NOOOO!!! That is rich.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:32 PM

67 posts, read 149,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Oh God, NOOOO!!! That is rich.
how is it?

Obama is a better president and more important of a person then bush will ever be.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,737,640 times
The Bush library made some sense for Waco because Bush was at least a some-time resident of the area. Crawford is basically a suburb or at least an exurb of Waco. Of curse SMU won out as it is Laura Bush's alma matter and the Bush's now live next door in Preston Hollow.

But Obama? That's just absolutely ridiculous and I've never heard one peep about Baylor gearing for an Obama library. Did you just make it up? Obama has no connection to Baylor or Waco or even Texas for that matter. The Obama family is from Chicago and he was an Illinois senator and professor at the Univ. of Chicago. I'd lay odds right now that the Obama library is going to the south side of Chicago on or near the Univ. of Chicago campus where Obama got his political start. Makes sense all around and that part of Chicago can use the economic development.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:04 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraghawk View Post
how is it?

Obama is a better president and more important of a person then (sic) bush will ever be.
Ah, to be young, again. Hey pass me some of that Kool-aid. I am still waiting to see if Obama can break into the Top 40 of the all time greatest US Presidents. He came close early on but it's not looking good, right now. But to think that Baylor would want the Obama library is pretty humorous. I know, I was responding to a pretty old post that was written before the election, it was just interesting reading through these again, coming across that post and reading it from today's perspective.

Last edited by PanTerra; 03-16-2010 at 09:30 PM..

Old 03-16-2010, 10:24 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,609 times
Waco, TX??

Well, it passes my livability test, but barely:

At least one of all of the following:

a synagogue, a sushi joint, a gay bar, a farmer's market, a non-chain coffee shop, a video store - less important in an age of netflix, a public telephone, a university, an art museum, a yoga studio, an independent bookstore, a dry-cleaner's, an airport - well kinda, a taxi company, a Chinese restaurant, reasonable BBQ, and a few interesting people.

I could live anywhere that has all of the above and none of them are negotiable, though I would like more than one of each, and Waco has them. For me, Waco would be the fourth most bearable place on the I35 corridor in TX, quite a long way behind San Antonio, Austin and DFW. Laredo would be 5th, but fails on the sushi, gay bar and synagogue front.

I would not want to live in Waco, but could if I had to.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:54 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,212,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
The Bush library made some sense for Waco because Bush was at least a some-time resident of the area. Crawford is basically a suburb or at least an exurb of Waco. Of curse SMU won out as it is Laura Bush's alma matter and the Bush's now live next door in Preston Hollow.

But Obama? That's just absolutely ridiculous and I've never heard one peep about Baylor gearing for an Obama library. Did you just make it up? Obama has no connection to Baylor or Waco or even Texas for that matter. The Obama family is from Chicago and he was an Illinois senator and professor at the Univ. of Chicago. I'd lay odds right now that the Obama library is going to the south side of Chicago on or near the Univ. of Chicago campus where Obama got his political start. Makes sense all around and that part of Chicago can use the economic development.
I made that statement awhile back, but I do remember reading about it when reading up on the Bush Presidental Library; However, I may of misread something.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 AM

264 posts, read 625,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I made that statement awhile back, but I do remember reading about it when reading up on the Bush Presidental Library; However, I may of misread something.

You definitely misread it. Baylor never made any mention of wanting Obama's presidential library. Link to the original article?

Old 03-17-2010, 08:07 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,641 times
There's more going on in Waco than you think

Official Site - City of Waco, Texas

Greater Waco Chamber - First Green Chamber Building in America

Official Waco, Texas Tourism Information - Hotels, Attractions, Restaurants, Museums and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas