Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,100 times

Advertisements

I live in a apt with a roomate and my fiance we have a basset hound who is potty trained and the roomate has a german shephard who is not everyday i come home to poop he never bothers to pick up because he got back together with his gf and hasnt stayed here but his dogs poops when they come back and he just leaves it I mean of course i pick it up i dont want poop in my floor his dog has also destroyed the crown molding in the closet of the room he's staying in and totally destroyed the carpet I want him to pay to fix the carpet before he goes is there anyway we can get him to leave even if he has his own lease and we can stay I mean as long as rent gets paid I think we'd be doing him a favor so he doesnt have to pay for somewhere he doesnt stay and we can get that demon dog out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:34 AM

6 posts, read 11,785 times
Have you talked to him about it at all? Are you expecting him to be unreasonable about it?

Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,666,180 times
what a poopy situation

Old 04-08-2011, 10:30 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
Pick it up if you don't like it. This is common sense.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:40 AM

333 posts, read 639,249 times
Maybe he just gets pissed that you don't know how to make sentences.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:05 AM

316 posts, read 849,720 times
What's the nature of the lease? If the roommate is subleasing from you, you can probably break it. If the roommate is leasing directly from the landlord, the landlord may be able to break the lease. Do you have a lease? If so, can you break it? If not, leave. If you need professional advice, see if your area has a tenant council which provides free advice based on tenant law.

You shouldn't have to live in unsanitary conditions.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:25 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,057,362 times
Does this sentence ever end?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:17 AM

160 posts, read 198,300 times
To get actual advice about your situation, you'd have to tell us about the lease situation, as AusParent says. This would be a legal matter, ultimately, not one of opinion, so what legal rights who has are what you have to work with. The owner has the power to get rid of all renters, but is constrained in certain ways by the lease (which usually spells out evictable violations); the renter who holds the lease is more secure and has more rights and authority than someone subletting from the lease-holder.
So if you and your fiance are the leasing parties and the poopy-dog owner is there by your grace and favor, that's a totally different situation than if he's on the lease too; or if he holds the lease and you and your fiance are there by his grace and favor.
In that order of possible scenario, you'd have a) quite a fair amount of power to modify his behavior, as you have contractual rights he doesn't; b) some power, but of the persuasive/reasoning kind, or c) no power; you're in the poop unless you move.
For more detailed advice, you need to provide much more detail on the lease/paperwork/legal arrangements which produced this unhappy household.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:47 PM

9 posts, read 26,979 times
Simply call your landlord and report it. They will thank you, because the roomie is destroying their property. Ask them to keep it confidential for your safety. I bet they will show up for a "surprise" inspection.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:27 PM

3 posts, read 18,335 times
Let your landlord know in writing. Enclose pictures. Make sure the landlord knows your dog didn't do this, so you don't get blamed for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas