Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 04:36 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,386,147 times

Advertisements

DALLAS—Latinos accounted for 65% of Texas's population growth over the past decade, and for 95% of the increase among its rapidly expanding under-18 population, numbers likely to amplify the group's political clout for years to come in the second most-populous state.
Data released Thursday by the U.S. Census Bureau show that Texas, long associated with cowboys, cattle and the wide-open range, became more urban and more Latino from 2000-2010. Non-Hispanic whites ceased being the majority, shrinking to 45.3% of the population from 52.4%.

Latino Numbers Soar in Texas - WSJ.com

The new reality.Demographically and politically this decade will be interesting in Texas.

Last edited by Wonderful Jellal; 02-18-2011 at 05:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 07:38 AM

679 posts, read 1,806,119 times
Interesting article. I am encouraged that change is on the horizon. I am interested to know if anyone has information on Latino political involvement? Do they tend to be politically active or indifferent? Where I live, I see plenty of political opportunity for Hispanics yet they never run for office, nor do we ever seem to be able to get rid of the old, white, conservative men that run this town.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:47 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,655,769 times
In education though teachers are being encouraged to get ESL/ELL certified.
Some districts are requiring it and it's being encouraged by teacher training programs.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:50 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,285,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
Interesting article. I am encouraged that change is on the horizon. I am interested to know if anyone has information on Latino political involvement? Do they tend to be politically active or indifferent? Where I live, I see plenty of political opportunity for Hispanics yet they never run for office, nor do we ever seem to be able to get rid of the old, white, conservative men that run this town.
They do tend to be politically active, but unfortunately for them, they cast their lots with the Democrats and thus have little political influence in the state. In the last election however, more Latino's have started to run as, and vote for, Republicans and as a result have made large gains politically. This comes as rude shock to Democrats who have always assumed that the Latino vote was granted to them exclusively.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:55 AM

13,186 posts, read 15,006,904 times
Quote:
They have poor voter participation numbers and they heavily favor Democrats but not to the extent blacks do.

The Asian population also grew...they have good voter participation numbers and vote Democrat as well. ( Vietnamese are the exception)

Old 02-18-2011, 07:57 AM

Are these Latinos that run as Republicans really Republicans? Or do they just relabel themselves as such to have a chance at winning? I am new to the state, I don't know.

You would think that as some of these older Republicans die out and these Latino children grow up, the voting pattern here might change.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post
They do tend to be politically active, but unfortunately for them, they cast their lots with the Democrats and thus have little political influence in the state. In the last election however, more Latino's have started to run as, and vote for, Republicans and as a result have made large gains politically. This comes as rude shock to Democrats who have always assumed that the Latino vote was granted to them exclusively.
I don't know where you are getting that they are "politically active" when Texas hispanics have some the lowest voting percentages in the Nation.

And give us some names or a source that makes this claim that "it's a rude shock" to Democrats that some hispanics vote and run with the GOP?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:04 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,285,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I don't know where you are getting that they are "politically active" when Texas hispanics have some the lowest voting percentages in the Nation.

And give us some names or a source that makes this claim that "it's a rude shock" to Democrats that some hispanics vote and run with the GOP?
I get this information mostly from Daily Kos. Before each election in Texas they get really exited that because of the Latino vote, the Democrats will surely be able to win this time. Then the election happens and the Democrats get crushed as usual and the Kossacks get bitter and start complaining about how some Latinos have been tricked into voting against their own interest.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Are these Latinos that run as Republicans really Republicans? Or do they just relabel themselves as such to have a chance at winning? I am new to the state, I don't know.

You would think that as some of these older Republicans die out and these Latino children grow up, the voting pattern here might change.
You don't get the right wing rhetoric as much coming from Republican Hispanics elected to office but they vote pretty much in line with their Party. Hispanics are likely more clueless than whites as to their candidates voting record. The see the Spanish name...they see he's a local...That's about all they need to pull the lever.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post

I can tell you that when I moved here, I was surprised that Latinos were aligning themselves with the GOP. I was also surprised to meet several gay couples that are staunchly Republican. If I were a minority, it just doesn't seem like a group that I, personally, would fall in step with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas