Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:26 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times

Advertisements

I'm not a libertarian or a Republican or a Democrat (not that there's any difference, at bottom, between those latter two as far as their most basic goal - to make all our decisions for us and we shouldn't bother our pretty little heads actually thinking about it because THEY know what's best).

You should know that the morality laws have a tendency to cloak themselves in public health (safety) issues. Especially those regarding homosexuality.

However, I notice that you didn't address the real issue, the internal inconsistency in the argument that some of those are demanding laws against texting while driving while putting forth at the very same time the idea that we DON'T need laws against such things as eating/drinking/conversing with passengers in vehicles even if those things are factors in MORE fatal accidents than anything to do with a cell phone, simply because they are so much more common a cause of driver distraction.

It's a bandwagon, folks. Need to get off the bandwagon and actually THINK about what you're advocating we do and not do, and see if there's any possibility that you're saying we don't need laws against things that you commonly do that are as dangerous as or more dangerous than (statistically) what you're advocating for specific laws against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 11:04 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark-Tyler is Special View Post
Texting while driving, even talking on the cell phone, hands or no hands device has been against the law in Germany and other countries in Europe for years. They have enought brains to know how dangerous it is !!
If they had enough brains to know how dangerous it is, they wouldn't need a law.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:27 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,518,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I'm not a libertarian or a Republican or a Democrat (not that there's any difference, at bottom, between those latter two as far as their most basic goal - to make all our decisions for us and we shouldn't bother our pretty little heads actually thinking about it because THEY know what's best).

You should know that the morality laws have a tendency to cloak themselves in public health (safety) issues. Especially those regarding homosexuality.

However, I notice that you didn't address the real issue, the internal inconsistency in the argument that some of those are demanding laws against texting while driving while putting forth at the very same time the idea that we DON'T need laws against such things as eating/drinking/conversing with passengers in vehicles even if those things are factors in MORE fatal accidents than anything to do with a cell phone, simply because they are so much more common a cause of driver distraction.

It's a bandwagon, folks. Need to get off the bandwagon and actually THINK about what you're advocating we do and not do, and see if there's any possibility that you're saying we don't need laws against things that you commonly do that are as dangerous as or more dangerous than (statistically) what you're advocating for specific laws against.

Your right to text while driving shouldn't trump my right to live.

And as the thumb-typing generation takes to the road, so does the bad habit. A recent poll by Consumer Reports showed that 63 percent of drivers under 30 said they had recently used a hand-held phone while behind the wheel.
About half of them were texting. Others were talking or indulging in the slew of activities that smartphones unleashed: updating their Facebook statuses, maybe, or playing Angry Birds. But no matter how they were twiddling with their phones, every one of them was distracted.
Such distraction can turn deadly fast. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, in 2009 alone, 995 people were killed in crashes that involved a driver using a cellphone. U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood calls the problem "a deadly epidemic on America's roads."

Thmbs dwn: Attention Gov. Perry: Texas needed that ban on texting while driving | Editorial | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 PM

679 posts, read 1,803,003 times
Quote:
I don't believe that texting while driving is as dangerous as eating, drinking (non-alcoholic beverages) and talking. So that argument doesn't fly with me.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamon_toast View Post
I don't believe that texting while driving is as dangerous as eating, drinking (non-alcoholic beverages) and talking. So that argument doesn't fly with me.
Just need to make drive-thru's illeagal.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:02 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
cinnamon_toast: I don't know about eating while driving, but texting while driving is definitely more distracting and dangerous than taking a sip from a Coke or talking (assuming one can keep his eyes on the road). The complexity of the activity and the need to look at the device takes care of that question. It is indefensible.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
cinnamon_toast: I don't know about eating while driving, but texting while driving is definitely more distracting and dangerous than taking a sip from a Coke or talking (assuming one can keep his eyes on the road). The complexity of the activity and the need to look at the device takes care of that question. It is indefensible.
It is not just the act of sipping the coffee, it is the frantic rush to clean it up after you spilled it on that last turn so it doesn't stain.

http://www.womenwithwheels.com/Driversbewarefood.html

Old 06-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Some off-topic posts above were moved to a new thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/texas...rtion-law.html

Old 06-22-2011, 02:09 PM

679 posts, read 1,803,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Completely agree. As far as food goes, it probably depends on what you are eating, which is perhaps why there is no law against it. A candy bar is one thing, a burrito is another.

From here on out, I am done with this conversation, isn't there an expression about beating a horse to death? I don't think anything new has been added for quite some time.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Quote:

The average person has a 1% chance of dying in a car accident.

Texting while driving increases that to 20%, and that's not even including the risk to other drivers and pedestrians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: