Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 10:11 PM

15 posts, read 33,142 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm moving to Midland next month and just found out that I get to choose my electric company. I've never heard of such a thing. Anyway, I looked on the power to choose website and the various fact sheets. I'm kind of perturbed that the rate for using less than 1000kwh is higher and it looks like most charge an additional fee if you don't use a certain amount of power. I live in El Paso now and average about 400-700kwh per month. Can anyone recommend a good company for low kwh usage customers?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 09:01 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshs_2000 View Post
Hi,
I'm moving to Midland next month and just found out that I get to choose my electric company. I've never heard of such a thing. Anyway, I looked on the power to choose website and the various fact sheets. I'm kind of perturbed that the rate for using less than 1000kwh is higher and it looks like most charge an additional fee if you don't use a certain amount of power. I live in El Paso now and average about 400-700kwh per month. Can anyone recommend a good company for low kwh usage customers?

Thanks for your help!
I can't suggest a company as I have not lived there in a few years, but yes, anywhere in Texas you get to choose because some years back it was deregulated by the state.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:13 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
It is confusing....confusing to the point where I just stayed with TXU (never mind how much I hated them...LOL!) and didn't bother to change. I just didn't want to mess with it, and however much I might like choice, it hasn't been a good deal for consumers at all.

That has been 4 years ago, so things might be better by now.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Choosing electric company in Midland

Many of those options for your provider are really just reseller of TXU electric, the major producer of electricity in Texas. Some offer alternative energy but those are not 100% of your use. Too a large extent, it's just choosing a billing department.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:57 AM

136 posts, read 328,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debzkidz View Post
anywhere in Texas you get to choose because some years back it was deregulated by the state.
Just wanted to clarify this... you don't get to choose your electric provider everywhere in Texas. It depends on where you live.

And actually, having a "choice" has meant higher rates in those areas. For example, in Midland we were paying almost 50% more for the exact same amount of usage that we do in the City of Austin. Even in the Pedernales Electric Coop (borders Austin Energy's area on the west side), the rates were MUCH less than anything we could get in Midland from TXU or Reliant.

But to answer the OP's original question... if I were in Midland, I would stick with TXU - though I despise them . Since they were the original electric carrier (owned the lines) before deregulation, there's at least a better "connection" between TXU and Oncor (the electric carrier, not retail "provider"). So when service is needed, in my experience it was faster with TXU. I had Reliant for a time as well... it was like dealing with a middle man. Perhaps this has improved with time, and others will chime in.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:16 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
When it was deregulated we stayed with TXU as well. A few years later we moved to Houston and stayed with TXU there too, although most people there were not familiar with TXU. Most people there stayed with Reliant, who had been the provider there prior to dereg. I did check a bit and found TXU was less expensive than Reliant and just decided to stay with what I knew.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:27 PM

15 posts, read 33,142 times
Thanks for your replies. I didn't know this was an option in El Paso. I don't really know how having the option to choose an electric company saves me money. There's not much difference between 10.2 and 10.3 cents. Because I use less electricity, I'll get charged additional fees and have a higher kwh rate... such as life. Thanks again!

Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
I just took a list of all the companies, and went down the list phoning their 800-numbers, and the first one where I could talk to a human being within 60 seconds, I chose that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas