Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:57 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Any immigrant that enters our country illegally, joins forces, holds demonstrations DEMANDING certain rights and privileges and at the same time, burning our flag . . . .
Wait a minute, let me get this straight. You mean ILLEGAL immigrants are marching in the streets with signs demanding rights and burning the flag? Well, that should sure make them easy to round up and send back.

Meanwhile, those immigrants who came LEGALLY thought they were coming to a country where they had the right to protest and demonstrate.

Every PERSON who is legally within the jurisdiction of the United States has every constitutional protection specified in the Bill of Rights, including freedom of speech and assembly, no matter how much you disapprove of it.

Last edited by jtur88; 08-30-2011 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 11:09 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
If you read the snopes article that you mention they clearly say that it was probably not illegals that participated in the isolated incident, and that in all likelihood it was done by American Citizens.

And In America, it is legal to desecrate a flag.

You are taking actions that you don't like, and WITHOUT PROOF attributing it to illegals, and then threatening them based on this unproved action by saying they need to be "dealt with".

Sort of like these people were "dealt with", I wonder?

Murders of Raul and Brisenia Flores - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you take an isolated incident, then attribute it (without proof) to a group you don't particularly like, and then threaten them, what does that make you? Maybe not a pearl clutcher, but definately not something pleasant.

And I didn't twist your post into anything. I said your argument was off the wall and sounded like other off the wall arguments I hear daily against gays.

And I say it again, the rash of flag burnings you so desperately want to "deal with" don't happen often, and you don't know if they are being done by illegals. So I still call BS on your story.
Well, as long as you put it so respectfully on your end, I can't see that I have a complaint.

I did not read the entire article. But in reference to exactly who was involved is no more proven that it was American citizens than it was illegals, i.e. quite likely is not same as it was, anymore than saying it was quite likely it was illegals, so that's mute.

Now, I did learn something and that is about the Supreme Court striking down Public Law 101-131. When I was growing up, it was illegal to desecrate the flag of the United States. Although it saddens me to think our Supreme Court doesn't have the same respect for our flag, it doesn't surprise me.

I'm sorry that everything appears to be so threatening to you. When someone is breaking the law (which I honestly thought it was STILL the law), yes, I think they should be dealt with. Now I don't have a clue as to what you are even remotely thinking here and I sure don't won't to take a guess, but it normally involves arrest, etc. when you are caught breaking the law. But now that it has been determined that thanks to our Supreme Court, people can use the flag for toilet paper w/o fear of any "threats" from law enforcement, you don't have to be so worried over any reprisals or threats as you see it.

BTW, I haven't threatened anybody, so you really need to get over that. Furthermore, what's with all the flamboyant statements? i.e. the rash of flag burnings you so desperately want to "deal with" I just have to laugh. I'm not desperate about anything. You jump and say I don't particularly like illegals and I threaten them. Really? The 'like or dislike' doesn't even come into play here. I've never even given any thought to 'do I like or dislike them'. I know the issues our country is facing in regards to them, but that has already been discussed countless times and no sense going into it again. But to put a personal slant onto it? I don't think so.

But to close out on one clear note, you bet ya I find it disgusting that anyone illegal or not could be allowed to throw our flag on the ground and spit on it and I will not apologize for that and furthermore I have no sympathy for people of that calibar. Since that makes me an unpleasant something in your book, well hell, what can I say.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:25 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Wait a minute, let me get this straight. You mean ILLEGAL immigrants are marching in the streets with signs demanding rights and burning the flag? Well, that should sure make them easy to round up and send back.

Meanwhile, those immigrants who came LEGALLY thought they were coming to a country where they had the right to protest and demonstrate.

Every PERSON who is legally within the jurisdiction of the United States has every constitutional protection specified in the Bill of Rights, including freedom of speech and assembly, no matter how much you disapprove of it.
Is there an issue with it being hard to "round up and send back" ILLEGALS?

Did I say I disapproved of freedom of speech and assembly? I disapprove of burning our flag, throwing it on the ground, spray painting it and spitting on it. Or is this what you are referring to as 'freedom of speech'?

Old 08-31-2011, 04:27 AM

446 posts, read 649,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Did I say I disapproved of freedom of speech and assembly? I disapprove of burning our flag, throwing it on the ground, spray painting it and spitting on it. Or is this what you are referring to as 'freedom of speech'?
You have every right to disagree with what they do with the flag, but it is a simple fact that them doing so is completely within their rights when it comes to freedom of speech. Read up on Texas v. Johnson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas