Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Texas food to love to the point of death?
Steak 5 6.25%
Barbeque 22 27.50%
Fried Catfish 4 5.00%
Texas Chili 0 0%
Tex-Mex 28 35.00%
Chicken fried steak 17 21.25%
Other (please explain) 4 5.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 09:49 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,905 times

Advertisements

I'm not from Texas but if I had to pick...I'd go with CATFISH!! I live in California and have not had any decent catfish here....people try but they FAIL miserably!!!!!! I know this is not on the list but I absolutely love Texas Caviar...I know you guys know what it is...lol!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 03:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
I have had some seriously good Chicken and Dumplings here in Texas. Sadly the best place I knew of is gone. I'm still looking for one to replace it.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ral-texas.html

Last edited by CptnRn; 10-06-2011 at 04:08 PM..

Old 10-07-2011, 04:48 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Default Announcer Interjection....

.....Bulletin from KTEX AM 1845...

...in the Texas for what it's worth department...

It appears from an ongoing poll among native Texans frequenting the reserved C-D forum that, if given a choice as to what state staple residents would stuff themselves to the point of death, the majority overwhelmingly would choose to choke and croak with Tex-Mex or Barbeque.

Tex-Mex has a solid lead, with BBQ...usually expressed as the Texas variety of beef brisket...coming in a respectable second. The closest other contender, perhaps surprising to some, chicken fried steak, comes in at a very distant third. The only other options receiving votes were fried catfish and steak.

Several Texans, in elaborting on their choices, expressed a desire that Blue Bell Ice Cream and Pecan Pie also be part of the death wish. This option is being taken into account pending another weekend poll.

The poll was not always greeting with humor and good spirits. At least one respondent -- whose native credential are unclear -- expressed disgust with the whole thing, suggesting such foods as listed are those of "yeehaw bubba types" and they practically deserved to kick the bucket because of bad nutrional choices felt common to Texas and the southeast.

When asked to reply as to the charges, the originator of the poll, merely responded by saying "Wanna go drink some Lone Star Beer"?

The poll is ongoing....

Old 10-07-2011, 04:57 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
I was torn between Chicken Fried Steak and Tex-Mex; however I gave it to Tex-Mex!

I love TX style BBQ, but tired of it! back home; my dad BBQ'd everything! I need a break from it.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:59 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,616,828 times
I tried to vote for all of them but it wouldn't let me.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:07 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
.....Bulletin from KTEX AM 1845...

...in the Texas for what it's worth department...

It appears from an ongoing poll among native Texans frequenting the reserved C-D forum that, if given a choice as to what state staple residents would stuff themselves to the point of death, the majority overwhelmingly would choose to choke and croak with Tex-Mex or Barbeque.

Tex-Mex has a solid lead, with BBQ...usually expressed as the Texas variety of beef brisket...coming in a respectable second. The closest other contender, perhaps surprising to some, chicken fried steak, comes in at a very distant third. The only other options receiving votes were fried catfish and steak.

Several Texans, in elaborting on their choices, expressed a desire that Blue Bell Ice Cream and Pecan Pie also be part of the death wish. This option is being taken into account pending another weekend poll.

The poll was not always greeting with humor and good spirits. At least one respondent -- whose native credential are unclear -- expressed disgust with the whole thing, suggesting such foods as listed are those of "yeehaw bubba types" and they practically deserved to kick the bucket because of bad nutrional choices felt common to Texas and the southeast.

When asked to reply as to the charges, the originator of the poll, merely responded by saying "Wanna go drink some Lone Star Beer"?

The poll is ongoing....
Lol. All of the items on the poll are definitely tasty, but while living in Georgia I found that the one thing I was yearning for was good Tex-Mex. There are decent options for that in Atlanta, but nothing like home.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:32 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,257,905 times
Can I say I keep coming back to this thread just to salivate...is that so bad??? LOL!!!

Old 10-08-2011, 05:44 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,897 times
Why is not seafood on the list. Grew up along the coast and the gulf has sum pretty good seafood.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:00 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
Why is not seafood on the list. Grew up along the coast and the gulf has sum pretty good seafood.
Yeah, that is a good point as it goes. But the reason I didn't include it is because I really don't/didn't think of "seafood" being something necessarily having a disporoportionate association with Texas as compared to most other states/areas of the country. That is why though, I always (in my silly polls!) always include "other" as an option.

But as to the general point, "seafood" would be just as much Massachussetts, as Texas, whereas, say, catfish, would not be. Just as, respectively, in the opposite direction, codfish might be a fit on a similar poll up there. Or, perhaps, trout in Colorado!

Old 10-08-2011, 09:45 PM

875 posts, read 1,661,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Yeah, that is a good point as it goes. But the reason I didn't include it is because I really don't/didn't think of "seafood" being something necessarily having a disporoportionate association with Texas as compared to most other states/areas of the country. That is why though, I always (in my silly polls!) always include "other" as an option.

But as to the general point, "seafood" would be just as much Massachussetts, as Texas, whereas, say, catfish, would not be. Just as, respectively, in the opposite direction, codfish might be a fit on a similar poll up there. Or, perhaps, trout in Colorado!

True..i chose other..but my next would be the Chicken Fried Streak!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas