Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 11:15 AM

2 posts, read 7,095 times

Advertisements

Hello, I may be moving my family to Amarillo for a job opportunity. I have some reservations due to things I have heard about the place. We are Hispanic. My wife and I both have bachelor degrees. One daughter (3) and another on the way. I am interested to know what the overall reception to Hispanics is in Amarillo. I grew up in Austin (diverse) but live in McAllen (90% Hispanic) now. There are a lot of similarities between McAllen and Amarillo in certain aspects. I understand that Amarillo is about 30-35% Hispanic. Are most Hispanics there on the lower end of the Household Income scale? I understand that the nicer area of town is in the Southwest side, which is where I would most likely live. I want to know if we'll have a hard time fitting in and making friends due to people not viewing us as equal. A friend of mine recently hired a Hispanic lady who used to live there and she said that the law enforcement was racist and scrutinized Hispanics more closely and unfairly. I take it with a grain of salt as I don't even know the lady. I have called several places there to ask questions about day care, medical facilities for my daughter (disabled), etc, and everyone has been really nice. I know one person from my company from there who I talk to every now and then and they couldn't be nicer. I've read a lot of threads on this forum and have read some comments that as long as you're White, there will be no problem fitting in. Makes me a little nervous, more so for my wife and kids. I can get along pretty well myself, but I don't want them to have a hard time at living there. Can anyone from there offer any other perspective?
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 05:42 PM

22 posts, read 56,582 times
The hispanic population is growing rapidly in the Lubbock and panhandle areas.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:02 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,049,969 times
Maybe this will help:

City Data says the Hispanic population is closer to 27% //www.city-data.com/city/Amarillo-Texas.html

64% were born in Texas, 11% in another state, 22% were foreign born.

You can view the detailed statistics by race here //www.city-data.com/races/races...llo-Texas.html

The median income of hispanics is pretty high. //www.city-data.com/income/inco...llo-Texas.html

Best wishes.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:27 PM

4 posts, read 7,805 times
Amarillo is still pretty backwoods as far as racism go. check out the craigslist amarillo page and follow the rants and raves section.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:46 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCRANK View Post
Amarillo is still pretty backwoods as far as racism go. check out the craigslist amarillo page and follow the rants and raves section.
Don't you think it's a bit shallow to judge an entire place by posts on Craig's List. CL is a free resource for any nutjob to abuse their freedom of speech but remain safe behind anonymity.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,661 times
Well, I live in the immediate Amarillo area, and I have no doubts you will fit in. Fitting in around Amarillo takes the exact same skills it takes to fit in anywhere else. Treat folks nice and respectful, and most of them treat you the same way back. The ones that don't are worth avoiding in the future.

I have spent most of my almost 50 years in West Texas, the last 30 in the panhandle. There is a great hispanic population all over the area with the exact same kind of people that make up the white population. Mostly great, but with a few folks carrying a chip on their shoulder for some reason. I firmly believe race has little to do with the chips folks choose to carry around.

There are a number of people, hispanic AND white, who are on the low end of the economic scale, and there are a lot of folks (regardless of color or economic standing) who detest law enforcement in Amarillo. Every other place I have lived in the panhandle has been exactly the same.

You seem like a nice person, and I suspect that you will get along just fine up here.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 7,095 times
Thanks all for your feedback. I did accept the job opening and will be moving up next week. I'm excited at the opportunity and look forward to making new friends, seeing new sights, and etching new memories. I'm sure I'll make the most of my stay in the Panhandle region.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:52 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,661 times
Congrats and welcome to the area! Feel free to pm me if you have specific questions and I will be glad to help you out as best I can!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,291 times
Hi,
I am hispanic. Light skinned,have lived in Amarillo 31 years. I live in the SW side of town. Olsen area. 34th st & Western to I 40 up to Bell St. and have no problems. I agree that it about about attitude. I am a PT Nanny and have worked with special needs kids most of my life. I can provide ref. I am traveling at the moment but can be reached thru FB. I'd be glad to speak to you or your wife. Debra Dean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas