Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 09:16 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,926 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, which Texas coastal city/town is the best to live and work in and why? Which have the best downtowns?

Also, is the entire coastal region of Texas humid? (If this question is as stupid as I fear it may be, forgive me). I live in Sacramento, CA and the only humid places I have visted are maui and Cancun, Mexico, so please try to describe to me what you mean by humid.

How much of a threat are hurricanes? Floods? Tornados? To many of us Californians, hurricanes and tornados seem like a death sentence.

I know I am quite ignorant about much of Texas, but I am trying to educate myself. I appreciate your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 09:42 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,297,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingcali View Post
In your opinion, which Texas coastal city/town is the best to live and work in and why? Which have the best downtowns?

Also, is the entire coastal region of Texas humid? (If this question is as stupid as I fear it may be, forgive me). I live in Sacramento, CA and the only humid places I have visted are maui and Cancun, Mexico, so please try to describe to me what you mean by humid.

How much of a threat are hurricanes? Floods? Tornados? To many of us Californians, hurricanes and tornados seem like a death sentence.

I know I am quite ignorant about much of Texas, but I am trying to educate myself. I appreciate your help!
That always amuses me... because at least with the hurricanes you have a WARNING! Unlike earthquakes!

I've lived in Corpus Christi and the Houston Area. It's kinda ironic... many years in Corpus, only a few in the Houston area. Which location resulted in all my stuff being wiped out in a hurricane? You guessed it. Houston!!

No offense to those in the Galveston area but to me it was always kinda smelly and not attractive. It's been a while since I've been there though so it could be different.

Yes, when you mix heat (which Texas has plenty of) and water (i.e. the coast) it WILL be humid, but the closer you are to the sea, the more you feel the sea breezes, which negate the misery quite a bit.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:35 AM

Thanks Fierce. I think I will focus my search more on the Corpus Christi Area.

I am surprised I 've received only one response to this thread. Any ideas why?

Thanks again.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:19 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times
Quote:
I am surprised I 've received only one response to this thread. Any ideas why?

Thanks again.
Hmmm, well there's only one really big city near the coast with "downtowns" and a large job market, and that's Houston. All other coastal cities are much, much smaller and on a whole other level as far as culture, amenities, etc.

Not sure exactly what you're looking for...

Yes the coast is humid, but I don't think it's quite as bad as Cancun/Yucatan.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:38 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,646,924 times
I am guessing that the lack of response is due to the fact that most people are familar with one area of the coast or one city, and may not feel up to comparing them. I, however, feel no such limitations (and I don't live in any of them) .

However, I have spent time (lived) in Freeport, Galveston, Houston, and Port Arthur at one time or another, although usually for less than a year. Anyway:
The Texas coast can probably be divided into several sections:
  • East Texas Coast - This would include the stretch of coast from east of Houston and go all the way to the LA border. This is a very industrial section (it is often called the 'golden triangle', I think based on all the money made on oil) with refineries and chemical plants. The natural beach is probably the least nice in this area, although there are a few fairly nice sections, and they tend to be less crowded than elsewhere.
  • Galveston - The Galveston area (north toward Kemah and South toward Freeport) is the most marketed and probably most built up area of the coast. Galveston island is, by far, the most developed section of the 'barrier islands'. There are many plusses and minuses to Galveston - do a search of the forums for more info. This area is also close to Houston, the largest coast city. It is very near to the massive industry along the ship channel and in and around Texas City.
  • Corpus Christi - This area has a lower population density than the Galveston area and somewhat less industry (although it is definitely there) than the further north/east sections. Port Aransas is the second largest city on the barrier islands, and it is much less developed and expensive than the Galveston area. There are many posts regarding this area, too.
  • South Texas - Probably the nicest beaches (South Padre Island) but far away from any major city. Harlingen is close, and Kingsville, but not huge cities by any stretch. The border area has some poverty issues, at least did the last time I was down there, but there is almost no industrial facilities.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:10 AM

Thanks Trainwreck. Your post is quite helpful.

After visiting San Francisco last weekend, I don't think I want to be in a big city anymore...but I still want access to jobs, restaurants, things to do, etc. Maybe I just don't know what I want?

Thanks again!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:06 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Thanks Trainwreck. Your post is quite helpful.

After visiting San Francisco last weekend, I don't think I want to be in a big city anymore...but I still want access to jobs, restaurants, things to do, etc. Maybe I just don't know what I want?

Thanks again!
I'd suggest you visit Corpus Christi AND Galveston along w/ the areas immediately around them. They have different characters about them along w/ strong suits and weak points. If your not wanting the BIG city then you will not want to be IN Houston. Staying on The Island will be much different though. There are many great hospitals on The Island and plenty of restaurants to keep your gastrointestinal insides happy. Corpus will have a different flair to it and as Trainwreck mentioned MUCH less industry but it is there. Just not as in your face as in the Houston/Galveston area.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:18 PM

Thanks! I just need to save some money and take some time off so I can explore the great and large state of Texas.

On a somewhat related note, someone posted the following book title on another post if anyone else is interested in relocating: "Life 2.0, How People Across America Are Transforming Their Lives by Finding the Where of Their Happiness."

Old 03-13-2007, 03:46 PM
kwk

8 posts, read 13,012 times
if ur looking for a vacation like place- Port Aransas or Galveston, more cityish-Corpus

Old 01-26-2010, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 9,814 times
I am a 65 year young native Texacan and I live in Rockport! I can tell you that as a hot flashing grandmother I would never move to where it was humid! The breeze makes this coastal area except for Houston and Galveston very pleasant! We are approx. 30 miles from Corpus over the causeway bridge and of course that is where Padre Island starts also. Rockport is very peaceful but growing slowly and it was voted in 2009 as one of the top ten coastal to live in in the United States by "COASTAL LIVING MAGAZINE"! So, it has no jobs to speak of except for local business and one super Walmart, whereas Corpus is lot bigger compared to Rockport or Aransas Pass and Port Arthur etc. Houston is HUMID, and yucky! Don't go there! Look for local or federl jobs in Corpus. I know from the most reliable source that in Corpus that the Naval base is closing and Texas A&M will be overseeing the re-construction of the base to local business and or anyone that wants to lease space on the base! So, that tells me that there will be more jobs in this area. So, check it out and see for yourself. I hope it helps a little for anyone looking to re-locate to Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas