Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 12:12 PM

5 posts, read 18,054 times

Advertisements

I'm lookin to go to graduate school for Public Management, and UNT in Denton has one of the top ranked city management programs in the country. With that said, I don't know much about Denton. One or two bands I like are from the area and I've read in other threads that its like a much smaller Austin in many ways. I'm from Miami, looking for a town with good live music (i like punk, some country, blues and jazz mostly) and where it doesn't get too cold. Don't mind the heat, could live without humidity but don't really mind it either. Early 20s, so I'd just be looking to rent. Other than that i'm a pretty simple guy, like eating out and hanging with friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 02:42 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,207 times
Denton is a fairly cool place, most I know who live there are dedicated to the Denton life and wouldn't move to Dallas for anything. It supports a college lifestyle nicely and is separated from the big city by a large lake.

Music, food and hanging are enjoyed in Denton.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:54 PM

6 posts, read 19,360 times
You'll find a lot of musicians up there. UNT is also a big music school, especially Jazz studies. It's still a big college town but that is changing as the Dallas suburbs have encroached. Lake Lewisville is nearby, lots of parties. If you like a little more laid back, Lake Ray Roberts is north of town.

Big campus. 30,000 students. You can usually find decent housing though. Some people go to Dallas on weekends, but you really have just about everything you need up there.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:27 PM

48 posts, read 291,616 times
I attended NTSU in the late 70's, now UNT and it is a great school. Nice town too.
Lots of music venues near campus and the one o'clock lab band in the union building from time to time.
My dad had passed away and I was continuing my education when the opprotunity to purchase half of a bar/sandwich shop called Kilroys, on Fry st came up. Two guys I went to HS with owned it and one wanted to sell his half. A year later we sold out because my partner got a divorce, and I didn't want his ex as my business partner.
Great memories though.

Old 09-15-2007, 03:49 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
You'll like it. It's growing like the rest of the Metroplex (that's our nickname for the Dallas-Ft. Worth area). You'll have easy access to almost anything and Dallas is less than an hour away. There are plenty of options for restaurants, shopping, and places to live, some currently under construction. The infrastructure is dated in some places but there is future expansion and reconstruction (particularly on I-35) to be expected.

Check out this site -- it is about a new development on the city's west side, which will include a town center: Untitled Document

Old 09-17-2007, 12:46 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
What? Denton similar to Austin? I was in Denton for 3 horrible years.
The people in Denton (UNT area) are incredibly selfish and they only care about Frat houses, Sorority houses, getting wasted or drunk every other day, getting high off pot every day, using others for sex, oh and I almost forgot going to bible studies and to church, like that helped anybody in that town. The town is LOW quality and trashy in my opinion. Low quality and manipulative fake people everywhere you go from UNT to Church people to professionals,the bad news just goes everywhere you go. If you are on the same wavelength then you will LOVE Denton and think it is the most amazing town ever

I don't know how many times I asked others to go to the movies with me, to go out dancing, or asked others to invite me to parties and social gatherings and they wouldn't do it. They always came up with some lame excuse "Oh I am busy" "Oh I forgot to call you" "Oh I didn't want you to be bored because nobody knows you at this party" "Oh I had to work" "Oh I slept in". That sounds flakey to me. When I did get invited to parties people were low quality, rude, boring, and had NO sense of humor. Once I met one UNT student I met everyone, every person was ALL the same, no difference at all, rude, selfish, and psycho people. Some of the professors at UNT are really nasty and abusive to their students too, especially the ones in the community service building in Chilton Hall. People do not complain because it is so common and normal in that town that everybody has gotten used to it and accepts it. So when it hurts my feelings people just do not care...that sounds pretty pathetic to me. I want to live in a city of people where people care and value friendships and education. I don't want to be in some town where people are fake and manipulative...oh wait I was..I spent 3 years there, it was called Denton.

What sort of person am I? You are probably thinking I am some overweight dude with bad hygiene covered in acne who loves to play Final Fantasy all alone in his room. Um no, I look good, I work out, I am a good dancer, I read a lot, I have hobbies and talents, I value friendship etc. I have no clue as to why the people in this town were so against me. Oh wait I know because if you are not part of a frat house then you are not cool and if you are not getting stoned and drunk every other day then you are not cool. Oh wait if you are not manipulating someone, spreading rumors, and hurting other people's feelings then you are NOT cool. Oh OK I get it, that makes tons of sense OK, I guess I am not cool enough for Denton.

Denton is nothing compared to Austin or Dallas. Austin is a much better city than Denton. More variety. More worldy. More culture. More people. More points of view etc. In Denton there is only ONE point of view and if you don't agree or go with the flow then people will treat you like garbage like they did to me.

THANKS FOR READING.

Last edited by artsyguy; 09-17-2007 at 01:05 PM..

Old 09-17-2007, 12:49 PM

lol the infrastructure is REALLY dated at UNT.
Denton is a trashy town and I wouldn't go back nor live there ever. Everybody was stoned out of their mind half the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
You'll like it. It's growing like the rest of the Metroplex (that's our nickname for the Dallas-Ft. Worth area). You'll have easy access to almost anything and Dallas is less than an hour away. There are plenty of options for restaurants, shopping, and places to live, some currently under construction. The infrastructure is dated in some places but there is future expansion and reconstruction (particularly on I-35) to be expected.

Check out this site -- it is about a new development on the city's west side, which will include a town center: Untitled Document

Old 09-17-2007, 03:42 PM

5 posts, read 18,054 times
I see...everyone else seems to like it so far. I think UT Dallas also offers a public administration program, so I'm also considering that as well. I know Austin has a great reputation and all but the program at UT would be too hard for me to get into probably. I'm also considering schools in Florida since i'm a resident and tuition would be substantially cheaper, and VCU in Richmond, which also has a great reputation it seems.

Old 09-17-2007, 06:06 PM

So just because there are four other good but generic reviews on Denton doesn't mean it is a wonderful city. They gave no details as to how their experience was. Also you didn't seem very concerned about my opinion either. Just ignored everything I said and then blurted out how everybody else loves Denton which was sort of rude.

DALLAS is amazing though. It is even better than Austin. There are a lot of things to do there, from the best shopping and eating in the nation, to concerts, to theme parks (actually in cities near Dallas), to diverse range of churches, and great dance clubs and bars and even better sports venues . The best cities are Dallas #1, Houston #2, and then Austin #3. San Antonio is also a really fun city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsofmiami View Post
I see...everyone else seems to like it so far. I think UT Dallas also offers a public administration program, so I'm also considering that as well. I know Austin has a great reputation and all but the program at UT would be too hard for me to get into probably. I'm also considering schools in Florida since i'm a resident and tuition would be substantially cheaper, and VCU in Richmond, which also has a great reputation it seems.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:31 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Artsy, I'm sorry that you've had such a rotten experience in Denton, and I hope things go well for you at your next stop, but you've got to give Streets a chance. He's moving to Texas, so he's going to have a lot of options no matter where he goes. If he chooses Denton, we shouldn't hold it against him. DFW's a big area. Let's at least let him look at the place. It's alright to choose.

Streets, just be encouraged. As many different people as we have on these blogs, so, too, do we have diversity in Texas. Just get over here as fast as you can. We'll all leave the welcome mat rolled open for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas