Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:00 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Agree to everything.

I also think people underestimate Houston's metro area uniqueness. While the DFW area is a more multipolar area; it's not as varied as the Houston area is. Galveston, The Woodlands, Inner Loop, Baytown, Sugar Land and more are all uniquely different in terms of landscape, culture and atmosphere.
Is Galveston aware that they are now part of Houston?

I agree, though. Houston has a lot of personality in different places. And they have their manicured, cookie cutter suburbs, too.
Big D has it going on with the downtown, uptown, Greenville, the various lakes, the different kinds of suburbs, the open land not too far to the north or the east...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,456,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Is Galveston aware that they are now part of Houston?

I agree, though. Houston has a lot of personality in different places. And they have their manicured, cookie cutter suburbs, too.
Big D has it going on with the downtown, uptown, Greenville, the various lakes, the different kinds of suburbs, the open land not too far to the north or the east...

Dallas is totally the Sh*t....we do have problems but like Trae713 said we hide them well....which is a plus in my eyes.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:29 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,228,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Maybe to somebody who's from there. From the outside looking in it all feels like Houston. Some parts just feel nicer than others, but i think Galveston is the only unique exception.

Anywho, I want to give Trae the benefit of the doubt and say it wasn't his original intention, but this is starting to feel like the makings of a new smackdown thread reincarnated. If you don't mid, I'm going to step out and quit while we're all ahead.
Actually to many outsiders. I think you guys are hyping up the outter areas of Dallas and Fort Worth. Nothing really interesting or extremely different going on outside of those cities.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:58 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,308,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
There is plenty of trash in DFW, too. It's just swept under the rug better here. You have to know where it is. In Houston, it's along major streets with the "nice neighborhood" on the other side of the intersection. I do agree that Houston could learn something about "cleaning up", which is what the Management Districts have done. This is where no zoning and large city limits hurt. But Sharpstown, for example, looks much better now than it did five years ago.

I've heard this saying before, too. Houston's worst areas look worse than DFW's worst (agree here), but Houston's best areas look better than DFW's best (also agree here).
That's a first.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
That's a first.
Oh I just let him have that one...its his opinion...no one lives in that world.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:31 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
That's a first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Oh I just let him have that one...its his opinion...no one lives in that world.
There are not areas in DFW as nice as the Memorial Villages, or neighborhoods near Lake Conroe, or the area around Clear Lake. The tall pines really add something. Near Lake Conroe, it is also hilly.

And I agree with blkgiraffe. Only to those that live in DFW understand the differences here. This area all looks the same, with Fort Worth looking a little more brown and wide open. There are more varying landscapes in Houston.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:50 AM

3,197 posts, read 5,378,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
You sound kinda bitter.......It almost sound like you are mad because the longer you live here the more you realize the better things about DFW over your beloved Houston...And then you sorta play down the better qualities about DFW as a flaw...hence the title of this thread....Hey it would be alot easier on you if you just admitt to yourself that you like DFW way more than you had planned on liking it......its okay to admit that Dallas is not the sterile hell hole that you wanted to believe it was...
The issue I have with part of Trae's perspective on DFW is that he claims to live in Arlington. Which in my opinion, is one of the least desirable cities near Dallas-Fort Worth to reside for a young adult 20-35(ish). Not because it's a bad area, but the place has the ambience of a giant suburb that doesn't really feel connected to either Dallas or Fort Worth. Lacks a sense of community, no real downtown, no public transit, many of the primary shopping areas are along the freeways, same goes for the business districts. The main residential areas consist of massive apartment complexes, subdivisions or 60's -70's style neighborhoods with outdated houses. Most areas do not look walkable. Obviously, there are no density increasing T.O.D.'s like the ones popping up throughout other areas in the Metroplex. The majority of Arlington is working class, blue collar (not saying anything is wrong with that, it just doesn't look progressive). On top of all that, this place somehow manages to avoid the usual charm of a college town, eventhough one of Texas' largest universities is in the heart of the city.

If I lived there, my perception of the entire Metroplex would probably be different.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 AM

391 posts, read 923,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankywithakeyboard View Post
For whatever reason it's this way, I am glad DFW doesn't swallow up all the suburbs like Houston tends to do. The suburbs here in DFW can keep their personalities, events, etc. Each suburb is different and it's really fun to go to events in different areas. Suburbs also attract company headquarters by keeping their uniqueness.

I really like this layout instead of the Houston swallow-up-the-decent suburbs-then-watch-them-decline strategy. Example: Clear Lake.
For your information, Houston doesn't annex everything in sight! The Houston area has more than 2 million residents in UNINCORPORATED areas, meaning outside ANY city limits that Houston has not touched and probably won't ever touch. There are plenty of suburbs in the Houston area that have annexed other areas to grow their city limits. Rosenburg is a PRIME recent example. Baytown, Pearland, Conroe, Pasadena (back before it was completely surrounded by suburbs), League City, Sugar Land, Missouri City are all other examples too. Unlike DFW, a vast majority of residents here do not like living in any city limits which is why they prefer the unincorporated areas (lower taxes). Also, towns (particularly in the northern suburbs of Dallas) QUICKLY incorporated into their own cities in fear of being gobbled up by the city of Dallas and paying higher taxes! Go back and look at the history of the growth of the DFW metro area. Houston area residents don't really fear being gobbled up by Houston because Houston is about as big as it can handle and really has no other plans of annexation except for industrial areas in east Houston in 2015 and possibly the Exxon campus in unincorporated northern Harris County in 2014 (strictly for the tax revenue). Go check out the city of Houston annexation plan on their webpage... www.houstontx.gov

The Houston area and DFW area are extremely different from each other because both were exposed to completely separate variables which caused their present metro areas to grow the way they did. You really can't say one is wrong from the other. Is it so wrong that Houston is 656 square miles? Is it Houston's fault that Dallas was only able to annex 385 square miles? It is purely business... the more people and businesses you add in your city limits, the higher your city income is. Dallas did miss the boat when it came to annexing because they just waited too long. However, Dallas did go through an extensive annexation period in their history, but for some reason slowed then stopped. Unfortunately, this has capped their population from ever experiencing another population boom unless their growth patterns turn in a southerly direction and fast within the city limits. Odds of that happening are probably less than getting struck by lightening holding a winning powerball ticket on an odd numbered thursday.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:43 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
The issue I have with part of Trae's perspective on DFW is that he claims to live in Arlington. Which in my opinion, is one of the least desirable cities near Dallas-Fort Worth to reside for a young adult 20-35(ish). Not because it's a bad area, but the place has the ambience of a giant suburb that doesn't really feel connected to either Dallas or Fort Worth. Lacks a sense of community, no real downtown, no public transit, many of the primary shopping areas are along the freeways, same goes for the business districts. The main residential areas consist of massive apartment complexes, subdivisions or 60's -70's style neighborhoods with outdated houses. Most areas do not look walkable. Obviously, there are no density increasing T.O.D.'s like the ones popping up throughout other areas in the Metroplex. The majority of Arlington is working class, blue collar (not saying anything is wrong with that, it just doesn't look progressive). On top of all that, this place somehow manages to avoid the usual charm of a college town, eventhough one of Texas' largest universities is in the heart of the city.

If I lived there, my perception of the entire Metroplex would probably be different.
Arlington actually has sidewalks everywhere and is something I like. Growing up in unincorporated suburban Houston, we didnt have any. We walked between the fence line and curb and it was at a slight slope. And the complex I live in as a lot of young people and singles, many who go to UTA. But I'm not stuck in Arlington. I work in Dallas and have seen many parts of DFW in my almost five years of living here. Most of the Metroplex is like Arlington tho, not Uptown Dallas. And Arlington does have mixed use areas near UTA. Some are the newer dorms.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Arlington actually has sidewalks everywhere and is something I like. Growing up in unincorporated suburban Houston, we didnt have any. We walked between the fence line and curb and it was at a slight slope. And the complex I live in as a lot of young people and singles, many who go to UTA. But I'm not stuck in Arlington. I work in Dallas and have seen many parts of DFW in my almost five years of living here. Most of the Metroplex is like Arlington tho, not Uptown Dallas. And Arlington does have mixed use areas near UTA. Some are the newer dorms.
This brings me back to wonder what is the point of this thread??..You are basically screaming that DFW is so divided but yet everything looks the same as Arlington.....So what exactly keep reminding you that DFW is divided if it all looks the same everywhere?...I know you cant see the big red lines that draw out each city's bounderies can you???...oh I know....People who live in Arlington all drive red cars...people in Dallas all drive blue cars...and people in Ft.Worth all drive orange cars right....Gimme a break...the merrit of this thread is nonexistant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas