Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,273,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
The cities don't look all that different to me. Houston looks a little more cluttered but I think the main reason that people perceive it as dirtier than Dallas is that the attractions in the city are either in areas that aren't as nice as similar attractions in Dallas, and you generally have to drive through the less desirable areas of the city to get there as well. Other than the Dallas Zoo, all (and I do mean ALL) of the area's major attractions are within or north of Downtown. That is also the nicest area of the city. In Houston, the west side is larger than North Dallas and at least equally nice. However, attractions in the city are all over the place and many visitors to Houston don't even see that side of town.

So honestly, I don't really call it Dallas "sweeping anything under the rug" so to speak - the city is just laid out differently. In Houston there are nice areas, but the freeway views don't do them justice and you can catch random pockets of "bad", whereas in Dallas, the majority of the city (south, west, and east of the CBD) isn't great but most visitors never have a reason to go there (as well as many residents) so you get a more skewed opinion.

Perfectly said. and i perfectly explains the "sweeping dirt under the rug" scenario to a tee. Most of Dallas's attractions are newer and developed in newer areas of town as opposed to Houston's being more scattered. So you're right, no one really has to be exposed as much to Dallas's ugly.

stoneclaw/C2H (ComingtoHouston)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 02:30 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,538 times
That's a pretty fair assessment. Although you left out Fair Park, one of the most visited parts of Dallas and home to the biggest festival in the state of Texas, and it has some downright nasty areas around it. There's nothing hidden about that.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:42 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post

As far as the character thing goes I think Houston is an infinitely more interesting city and has a landscape that is more varied overall, but nothing in Houston compares to the lakes in DFW. I'm also a big fan of that cool little forest leaving Fort Worth, it's interesting how it springs out of nowhere.
Houston has beautiful lakes and the gulf to top it off. White Rock Lake is nice, but still I think that statement is a little far-fetched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
That's a pretty fair assessment. Although you left out Fair Park, one of the most visited parts of Dallas and home to the biggest festival in the state of Texas, and it has some downright nasty areas around it. There's nothing hidden about that.
No it's not.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,455,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Houston has beautiful lakes and the gulf to top it off. White Rock Lake is nice, but still I think that statement is a little far-fetched.

No it's not.
uuuuuhh....yes it is....name one that has more than 3,000,000 in attendance....just one.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:44 PM

3,197 posts, read 5,377,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
There are a few more lakes than White Rock. There are 11 lakes within the Metroplex alone. Over 15 more within 1.5 hrs.

DFW probably has the most of extensive system of lakes of any major metro area in the nation.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:30 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
uuuuuhh....yes it is....name one that has more than 3,000,000 in attendance....just one.
It is the largest fair, with the Houston Rodeo close behind. SXSW is the largest festival/event though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout_972 View Post
There are a few more lakes than White Rock. There are 11 lakes within the Metroplex alone. Over 15 more within 1.5 hrs.

DFW probably has the most of extensive system of lakes of any major metro area in the nation.
You're kidding right? Ever heard of Minneapolis? Orlando? Places with natural lakes everywhere unlike Texas.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:

And not to mention white rock is the smallest one of them all;makin it the tip of the iceberg of lake offerins in DFW.(bachman is a pond so I didnt count it).

Old 05-11-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
It is the largest fair, with the Houston Rodeo close behind. SXSW is the largest festival/event though.

You're kidding right? Ever heard of Minneapolis? Orlando? Places with natural lakes everywhere unlike Texas.
Being Natural has nothin to do with his statement.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post

Whats the attendance numbers for this?

Old 05-12-2012, 02:58 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Fiesta.

Quote:

Yes, I'm well aware of that. My point was White Rock is really the only lake in the DFW area that impresses me. Otherwise, those other lakes are nothing special compared to the lakes around Houston. It's a stretch to Houston lakes can't compare with Dallas lakes when we lakes and the coast just 30 to 50 miles south of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas