Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:01 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,737,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
while it's true Austin black population is declining it's makes up for it in it's metropolitan area like Pflugerville, Round Rock, Temple, & Killeen. Houston on the other hand is steadly increasing it's black population, Houston metropolitan itself has over 1 million black people alone some are from regions like Africa, and Jamaica.
Where are the population growth statistics to back up this information?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Coming from those size of cities, Austin will probably feel more comfortable to you. Houston is HUGE.
Yes, Houston has more AA culture than Austin, but still nothing close to Atlanta, DC, Chicago, NOLA, etc. In Houston, the Hispanic and Asian populations are growing much faster percentage-wise (actually yes, I think the other person may be correct that the AA population percentage is shrinking.) The few times recently that large national AA conferences/events (Essence, NAACP) were in Houston, they have been, well, sort of flops.
I've lived in Atlanta and I'm from Houston. Trust me when I tell you that the advantage Atlanta has over other southern cities is not as extreme as some make it seem. Don't believe the media hype. Now, I'd be lying if I said that ATL didn't have a significant advantage in the realm of politics and entertainment, but these things don't have as much of an affect on every day life as you might think. For the most part, your average blacks in both cities are the same, and are thriving just as well.

Houston is currently one of the most popular relocation cities for African Americans in this country. Greater Houston's black population currently sits above one million and is only growing. That's nothing to sneeze at.

I believe you're referring to the Essence Music Festival as a "flop", yet it's lack of success had everything to do with poor event organization and nothing to do with our black community. In fact, the most echoed complaint was that "Houston had nothing to do".

Chicago's black percentage is directly on par with Houston's. We're also only 9% behind DC:

African American Population Demographics

...to the OP, for a young black man who's been in Cincinnati and Memphis, I would definitely recommend Houston. I've known several blacks who moved to Austin, and to be frank, the lack of a large black population was a bit overwhelming for them. Same with San Antonio. I don't want to jump the gun and make assumptions about what you're looking for, but forewarned is forearmed.

Last edited by Nairobi; 07-12-2012 at 07:58 PM..

Old 07-12-2012, 08:16 PM

2,312 posts, read 3,665,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
Houston is 23% black. San Antonio is 6%.

San Antonio was only 2% pre Katrina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas