Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:23 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was complaining as I specifically said I liked the new plates (I just like the current ones better).

I have no idea what an "outgoing sticker" is.

So who is forcing what opinion on whom? I already have the 2009 plates on my car in Texas. I have nothing to complain about. And clearly if your opinion was in the majority more states than just Texas, California, Virginia, and Louisiana would have plain, white plates.

This is simply a discussion of opinions. Please treat it as such.
Sorry, I guess when you said "some of us", I thought you were including yourself. I also interpreted "outgoing" as "vibrant, clashing and lurid" as opposed to "in the process of being replaced".

I heard something interesting today about Indiana's "In God We Trust" plates. The slogan is so large, a part of the license number has to be very tiny, so drug dealers and gang members are plating their cars with Indiana God plates, because the cops have to be standing a couple of feet from the parked car in order to read the number plate. Probably also less likely to be pulled over in routine traffic stops by redneck cops. The ticket-mailing robo-cams might not be able to read them at all.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ZjvO2XTqIN8/0.jpg

There are also a couple of states that kept on using very objectionalbe plates, because it rasied so much revenue from people ordering special plates, just to avoid them. The Kentucky smiley-face was one.

http://geomattix.com/wp-content/uplo...uckySmiley.jpg

Last edited by jtur88; 08-30-2012 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 04:40 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Some states have some really striking designs. I like Arizona, Wyoming, New Hampshire, and Alabama the most, as well as the current Texas design and the current California design (plain, yet the lettering is unique, gives it a "California look").

Honestly, the diversity of the plates is one of the many things (some positive, some not) that make driving interesting in a lot of places in the country. Though I'm sure some people would be perfectly content if all of the states had the same basic plate design. Sounds like the epitome of boring to me.
Me, too.....

I see mostly NM, CO, TX, UT and AZ plates here, with the occasional California plate thrown in from time to time. I like AZ, too, with the purple saguaro, LOL!!

The new basic issue plate for TX is so plain and boring that I might have to get custom plates in spite of myself! I may end up getting Tech plates, annual fee or not!!

Old 09-07-2012, 02:25 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,892,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I started noticing the new black-on-white plates around here a couple of weeks ago. Counties are supposed to start issuing the new plates to passenger cars, upon exhausting their inventories of the old series. Trucks are supposed to be phased in at a later date, and there will no longer be a separate series with the "Truck" designation, as there was in the past. There will be no distinction made between truck plates and car plates, when the phase-in is complete.

I just got my registration renewal notice a few days ago, with the **NEW PLATES REQUIRED** message emblazoned on it. But I have a truck, so it looks like my "new" plates will be the "old" series.
I'm good with it, I really don't like the new design, but my plates are only 3 years old, so according to the states FAQ's http://ftp.txdmv.gov/pub/txdot-info/...lassicfaqs.pdf, I still have 4 more years of use out of my 2009 A-series truck plates. Who knows, by the time 4 years passes, Texas will likely have a new design again.

Last edited by TXRyan23; 09-07-2012 at 03:04 AM..

Old 09-07-2012, 02:42 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Oh well, at least it's not yellow jacket colors.

1950 Texas License Plate Pair Restored Better Than New from texstuff on Ruby Lane

Old 09-08-2012, 02:45 AM

431 posts, read 929,503 times
Already? That was fast! Didn't like the current plate during the voting period, and still don't care for it. Granted it grew on me a little.. was just too colorful though. Like this one more, but just blah and plain. Favorite still has to be the 2000-2008. Lucky for me that's the one I still have on my car. Also liked the style from the 90's Simple, but had some color.

Also like someone mentioned already, really miss raised plates.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:33 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Rick Perry is pushing austerity with black-and-white plates. More to come (from the Republicans, of course)!

Surprised no-one got the message with the new plates introduced at this moment in time. 2009 was optimism, 2012 is austerity in Texas.

Black-and-white is as austere as it comes.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:24 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,852 times
I'm telling you, my hunch is that it's simply for ease of current and future electronic scanning. So it will be easier for toll roads to scan your plates, police to run them, red light/speed cameras to read them, etc. That's what this is all about.

I'm no economist, but I'd be willing to make an educated guess that it probably cost the state more to design, approve, and begin to manufacture new plates only THREE years after the old ones went into circulation than if they had simply kept the 2009 ones for a 7 to 10 year run. I reject the idea that this is austerity - when it's all said and done it probably costs us more than if they had simply stuck with the 2009 plates.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:27 PM

4,329 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I started noticing the new black-on-white plates around here a couple of weeks ago. Counties are supposed to start issuing the new plates to passenger cars, upon exhausting their inventories of the old series. Trucks are supposed to be phased in at a later date, and there will no longer be a separate series with the "Truck" designation, as there was in the past. There will be no distinction made between truck plates and car plates, when the phase-in is complete.

I just got my registration renewal notice a few days ago, with the **NEW PLATES REQUIRED** message emblazoned on it. But I have a truck, so it looks like my "new" plates will be the "old" series.
Update:

Just got my new plates after doing an online renewal, and they are indeed the older multi-color background plates that are being phased out.

I read a newspaper report that quoted an official in one Texas county who said they don't anticipate exhausting their current older-series multi-color truck plate inventory until early 2013.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:24 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
While I understand the reason that they went to the plain and simple design, I want the existing ones with the mountain on them.
You and I don't usually disagree on issues of "Texana", but c'mon sis...there is only a very small section of Texas that has any mountains at all. That is not typical of the state...Hollywood imagery not withstanding. Cotton fields would actually be MUCH more realistic from the amount of acrege in the state! LOL But -- I hasten to add -- I would object to that one too, simply because -- real as it actually is -- cotton is not usually the commodity most popularly associated with us.

And I would object to wildflowers as well. Much as I love to look at them along the beautiful Texas highways -- and plant them in my own backyard each year -- they are just not "right" as the main backdrop theme for a license plate representing our state.

"Flower Power" might be a good one for those where a lot of residents are comfortable with sitting around on the floor singing Joan Baez tunes, reading poetry, meditating, feeling each others faces, and crying, but not here. In Texas, flowers are to be admired, picked, planted, and presented to loved ones on special occasions. Not on our license plates. To boot, our best flowers grow wild and free and independent! Like true Texans do. Simple as that, by golly!

(Note: To the totally literal minded: While the thesis above has a basis of seriousness? I was also intending to be a bit humorous and playful with it. I mean/intend no offence in the least, to anyone! Texan or not.

Anyway, while I am resigned to the fact I am going to be in the minority here, I like them new plates! They are, well "Texas"! They are to the point, simple without being bland, unpretentious, and incorporate the essential features to advertize Texas; A single star and the prominately featured slogan "The Lone Star State".

I mean, c'mon y'all...what works better than that?

Old 09-20-2012, 08:31 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

Anyway, while I am resigned to the fact I am going to be in the minority here, I like them new plates! They are, well "Texas"! They are to the point, simple without being bland, unpretentious, and incorporate the essential features to advertize Texas; A single star and the prominately featured slogan "The Lone Star State".

I mean, c'mon y'all...what works better than that?
LOL!! But that's the point....they ARE bland! Also simple to the point of being just plain BOOORING!

But....we'll just have to agree to disagree....and if I move back, I'll be stuck with that bland black on white plate, whether I like it or not.

MY Texas has mountains......and if I can't live in the Davis Mountains area, I'll just stay right here where I am, LOL!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas