Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 11:34 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXT View Post
There are several Downtown Houston apartments, mid-rises and high-rise developements that are U/C, and several more planned to add to what's already there. Next!
Not nearly enough to balance out that gigantic downtown that Houston has....Houston is not at the point yet where they're actually tryna make it appealling to live downtown..they are just adding a few units here and there without the infrastructure to lure in residents...

So Yes houston is building a few apartments downtown..but they should have at least twice as many units under construction for it to even be looked at as a liveable community....pockets of spread out apartments are useless without a luring draw into the core...Disco Green is not enuff.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:56 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Not nearly enough to balance out that gigantic downtown that Houston has....Houston is not at the point yet where they're actually tryna make it appealling to live downtown..they are just adding a few units here and there without the infrastructure to lure in residents...

So Yes houston is building a few apartments downtown..but they should have at least twice as many units under construction for it to even be looked at as a liveable community....pockets of spread out apartments are useless without a luring draw into the core...Disco Green is not enuff.
It seems like you're making some pretty blanket and general statements without really knowing. What you are saying sounds logical, but you are still sound pretty uninformed of what's happening downtown right now. Houston already has plenty of infrastructure in place: 3 stadiums, up and coming lightrail additions, Greenstreet reconstruction, and yes the already existing Disco Green.

Now if you mean infrastructure such as retail, then i might half way be able to see it your way.

Old 10-09-2013, 11:58 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,866 times
Quote:

where the hell do you get pockets of spread out apts, most of them will be clustered next to each other

Alliance Downtown wll be across the street from Houston House and the now under constructions Skyhouse
The hines proposed High rasie will be next to the Lofts on the other side of the Market sqaure Park lofts, and now there is rumors of another lot space being slated for highrise on the other side of the Market sqaure park as well so that that whole area could end up being surrounded by residental

a few apts lets total up the number of units then
500 crawford:397 units
Skyhouse 367
Alliance:207
Texaco:270
Hines289
Total:1530
all within half a mile of each other
That just counting confirmed apts not rumored or still in planning phase like the lot across from market sqaure which the city own planning board listed as residtenal Highrasie planned.or what these guys seem to have planned for DT..http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-rea...ve-in-common/( They have flat out stated they are loking for places in DT to start building highrasies(pural) I also for got Texaco plan resdiental tower which is part of their later plans for the renovated Texaco building so the numbers of units was not included in the numbers crunch, by they have already bought the land for it.
Now shall we expanded to included areas that are within 1 and a half of Downtown
EaDo Stadium Apartments - A 316 unit, 5 story Apartment Complex, to be located adjacent to the Dynamo Stadium Construction to begin Nov. 2013
Broadstone Midtown - Apartment ( u/c)203 units right on the rail line.. less than a mile from DT 2min by car, 10 by bike, Five by rail
It will be joined by
Mid-Main Apts 360 units ,board stone is 3800 main and mid min is 3600 main, so they are almost right on top of each other,and will be joining the I dont know the current status of Midtown super park but I do know the plans called for another resiental Mid of about 300 plus units

Last edited by Truth713; 10-09-2013 at 12:37 PM..

Old 10-09-2013, 12:46 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Sometimes I wonder if dallasboi hasn't been to Houston since he went to school here back in 2000. A lot has changed and to say that downtown isn't a place people would want to live is ridiculous. It's quickly becoming a legit destination with all of the new residential (if all 2,500 new units get built that the downtown residential incentives are for, then we will of doubled the number of downtown residential units), the new retail incentives program and plans to revamp Dallas St into a retail district, all the new parks going up around downtown (there's at least 2 more planned for southern downtown), and new light rail lines and greenlink shuttle.
Doesn't sound like a very livable place to me...

Old 10-09-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Sometimes I wonder if dallasboi hasn't been to Houston since he went to school here back in 2000. A lot has changed and to say that downtown isn't a place people would want to live is ridiculous. It's quickly becoming a legit destination with all of the new residential (if all 2,500 new units get built that the downtown residential incentives are for, then we will of doubled the number of downtown residential units), the new retail incentives program and plans to revamp Dallas St into a retail district, all the new parks going up around downtown (there's at least 2 more planned for southern downtown), and new light rail lines and greenlink shuttle.
Lets count the number of bars/ restraunts that have openedright next to each other or within walking distance, in the last year alone
Batanga
Clutch city sqaure
Captain Fox Bad news bar
The pastry war
Okra charity
Guro and Gun
Little Dipper
Fusion Taco
El big bad
All on the same block are across the street from each other
they join the old main stays that have weathered the downtown downturn, and thanks to these new places are actually seeing new life themsleves.

Lets look at veunes
House of Blues
Petes Dueling paino
Lucky Strike
Bayou Music Center
Jet Lounge
Red cat cafe
Sundance Cinemas
Toyota Center
Dynamo statduim
9 art centers
Minnute made park
Warehouse Live
massive state of the art YMCA

This is still only a partial list but you get the point all within what is considered walking distance or biking, the rail only expands that now to included midotwn and Eado

Plus like you said the city is looking at at least two more parks in The south Houston section, with residental exlpoding on that end I think it will happen.

Like you said the one thing missing is retail, but with all these new apts , it will not be that hard to woe new retail to the area, trust me retailers are noticing the apt explosion DT...In fact I think that is why Green St kicked Scott Grnter out because they have something already in the works and needed the space.

Old 10-09-2013, 01:50 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,565,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Lets count the number of bars/ restraunts that have openedright next to each other or within walking distance, in the last year alone
Batanga
Clutch city sqaure
Captain Fox Bad news bar
The pastry war
Okra charity
Guro and Gun
Little Dipper
Fusion Taco
El big bad
All on the same block are across the street from each other
they join the old main stays that have weathered the downtown downturn, and thanks to these new places are actually seeing new life themsleves.

Lets look at veunes
House of Blues
Petes Dueling paino
Lucky Strike
Bayou Music Center
Jet Lounge
Red cat cafe
Sundance Cinemas
Toyota Center
Dynamo statduim
9 art centers
Minnute made park
Warehouse Live
massive state of the art YMCA

This is still only a partial list but you get the point all within what is considered walking distance or biking, the rail only expands that now to included midotwn and Eado

Plus like you said the city is looking at at least two more parks in The south Houston section, with residental exlpoding on that end I think it will happen.

Like you said the one thing missing is retail, but with all these new apts , it will not be that hard to woe new retail to the area, trust me retailers are noticing the apt explosion DT...In fact I think that is why Green St kicked Scott Grnter out because they have something already in the works and needed the space.
great list. i forgot to include the bars/restaurants and entertainment venues.

Truth, have you seen the new downtown development and planning commission report? lots of exciting changes planned for downtown.
from possibly rerouting 45 along 59/10 and eliminating the whole 45/pierce elevated, to tunneling 45 and 59. it talks about the residential initiative in downtown, some of the new projects coming online, and even has a then and now comparison from the 1980s to now comparing many downtown statistics. its crazy to see how much (almost) everything has grown. retail is the only thing that didnt grow, but like you said, now that new residential is coming online retailers are taking notice.. and especially with the new retail initiative, additional retail is on its way.
it also talks about the new parks (one 2 blocks south of Toyota Center garage [lots of space for new development like weve seen popping up around DiscoGreen and Market Square], and another on the block of the old Days Inn building that they plan on demoing), new lighting and signage/pedestrian wayfinding. it shows how much money has been invested into the area, and what its been spent on, and has a 3d view of downtown showing all of the new projects that have happened/are happening from the last super bowl (2004) till the next one (2017). its crazy how much has/is changing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ublication.pdf

the one thing missing is the downtown retail task force report thats come out since this was released, but im sure youve seen that already.
http://downtownhouston.org/site_medi...013_ONLINE.pdf

Old 10-09-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
great list. i forgot to include the bars/restaurants and entertainment venues.

Truth, have you seen the new downtown development and planning commission report? lots of exciting changes planned for downtown.
from possibly rerouting 45 along 59/10 and eliminating the whole 45/pierce elevated, to tunneling 45 and 59. it talks about the residential initiative in downtown, some of the new projects coming online, and even has a then and now comparison from the 1980s to now comparing many downtown statistics. its crazy to see how much (almost) everything has grown. retail is the only thing that didnt grow, but like you said, now that new residential is coming online retailers are taking notice.. and especially with the new retail initiative, additional retail is on its way.
it also talks about the new parks (one 2 blocks south of Toyota Center garage [lots of space for new development like weve seen popping up around DiscoGreen and Market Square], and another on the block of the old Days Inn building that they plan on demoing), new lighting and signage/pedestrian wayfinding. it shows how much money has been invested into the area, and what its been spent on, and has a 3d view of downtown showing all of the new projects that have happened/are happening from the last super bowl (2004) till the next one (2017). its crazy how much has/is changing.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...ublication.pdf

the one thing missing is the downtown retail task force report thats come out since this was released, but im sure youve seen that already.
http://downtownhouston.org/site_medi...013_ONLINE.pdf
Yea I did see it I like that they recommended that the city do way with the limits on signs height, I also think that giving buildings a tax break that open their lower level to retail is a good Idea.. I like how they accept that the tunnels are not going anywhere and we would be better served trying to figure out how to intergrate them into street level.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:12 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
All Im saying is it should be more like 5,000 units under connstruction for DT Houston...its ALOT BIGGER remember.

Thats like manhattan bragging about building 2500 units...it wouldnt even show up on the map. Bigger Downtowns need a bigger number of residences.....Houston shouldnt be building at Dallas's pace it should be out pacing Dallas in residential building Downtown.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
All Im saying is it should be more like 5,000 units under connstruction for DT Houston...its ALOT BIGGER remember.

Thats like manhattan bragging about building 2500 units...it wouldnt even show up on the map. Bigger Downtowns need a bigger number of residences.....Houston shouldnt be building at Dallas's pace it should be out pacing Dallas in residential building Downtown.
Downtown Houston is not that big you can walk from one end to the other in 30 mins... Down town Houston IS
Downtown Houston is a 1,178-acre (1.841 sq mi)

Old 10-09-2013, 02:32 PM

137 posts, read 220,418 times
Quote:

Well the walk sure does seem longer when there's a sea of parking lots surrounding you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas