Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 02:55 PM

121 posts, read 145,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
what do you mean "even back in the day".. Houston is inarguably the more multi cultural of the two cities..
There is a difference between "Multi-cultural center of many of the world's cultures" and "cultural center for the southwest."

Old 02-19-2014, 02:59 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I don't think either city is.

Of all major American cities, Dallas' regional classification is probably the most difficult to define, but I honestly see it as having much more in common with the South than the Southwest.
Dallas identifies most with the Great Plains in my opinion. Dallas looks North and West for its identity, Houston looks to the East and South.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:04 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Houston is not considered part of the Southwest, Dallas arguably is.
Indeed.

Houston is Southern & Gulf Coast.

Dallas is Southern, Southwest, & Midwest. Its at the crossroads really.

The only true Southwestern cities in Texas are all located west of I-35. San Antonio & Austin are included.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I don't think either city is.

Of all major American cities, Dallas' regional classification is probably the most difficult to define, but I honestly see it as having much more in common with the South than the Southwest.
The North Texas region is and has always been the regional center for all the states surrounding Texas. As a center of distribution, it has surpassed Atlanta, is overtaking Toronto, and its potential viewed as similar in scale to Chicago. Chicago today has over a billion square feet of distribution space.

This might seem insignificant, but just consider how, in the not too distant future, both the populatons of the metropolitan areas of North Texas and Houston are expected to surpass that of Chicago while the combined populations of San Antonio and Austin are expected to surpass that of the metropolitan area of Boston?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:12 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Dallas identifies most with the Great Plains in my opinion. Dallas looks North and West for its identity, Houston looks to the East and South.
Agreed with this. It's why there is a growing connection between Kansas City and Dallas.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Huh? Look at a map. Notice how things start getting green east of Dallas and brown west of Fort Worth. Each of those cities even sit on different geological strata. The area almost immediately west of Fort Worth begins a gradual rise to the high plains and the mountains of West Texas to the extent that it becomes more and more arid. In contrast, the area east of Dallas begins a gradual fall into the valley, lowlands, and swamps of the Mississippi.

Dallas has always had to create its resources while Houston has always benefited more from its inherited natural resource of being a coastal city with a seaport. You can't have your cake and eat it to. If you excel too much in one area, you are always going to be deficient in others. Unfortunately for boom and bust Houston, it excels way too much today in the oil and gas industry.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Agreed with this. It's why there is a growing connection between Kansas City and Dallas.
What would that growing connection between Kansas City and Dallas be? I would think there is a regional war going on between Kansas City and St. Louis. Both of those cities would seem to share the distribution duties for the areas surrounding them.

There would seem to be a kinship between Wichita, Kansas and Fort Worth with both of those cities being big in the aerospace industry.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:39 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,564,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi the baby deer View Post
Unfortunately for boom and bust Houston, it excels way too much today in the oil and gas industry.
Huh? The city that was the last metro into the recession, and the first one out of the recession relies way too much on oil and gas? The same city that is home to the largest medical center in the world?

Old 02-19-2014, 03:45 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I see way too much southern influence in Dallas. South Dallas is a huge area, and there's no question about which region of the country it has the most in common with.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:51 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi the baby deer View Post
Huh? Look at a map. Notice how things start getting green east of Dallas and brown west of Fort Worth. Each of those cities even sit on different geological strata. The area almost immediately west of Fort Worth begins a gradual rise to the high plains and the mountains of West Texas to the extent that it becomes more and more arid. In contrast, the area east of Dallas begins a gradual fall into the valley, lowlands, and swamps of the Mississippi.

Dallas has always had to create its resources while Houston has always benefited more from its inherited natural resource of being a coastal city with a seaport. You can't have your cake and eat it to. If you excel too much in one area, you are always going to be deficient in others. Unfortunately for boom and bust Houston, it excels way too much today in the oil and gas industry.
I have trouble understanding your points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas