Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 11:17 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan55 View Post
it was more about mexico outlawing slavery and the american settlers not wanting to give up slavery.
The only reason Mexico outlawed slavery in Mexico was because it interfered with the peonage system already in place, which was and still is slavery by another name. The only reason they did the prohibition in Texas was to force the population into peonage. And it was a prohibition not an emancipation. It was a means of forcing control.

Almost all of the primary sources (Texian, Tejano, Indian) and historical figures from the period cite the abuse of the population in Texas as the reason for secession. Very few mention slavery at all. The Texas Declaration of Independence in 1836 does not mention slavery. There were very few slaves in Texas at the time and the economy had yet to become significantly linked to either England or the South. Most people were either ranchers, hunters, or yeoman farmers. The Revolution in Texas was supported by the entire population.

Specific to TX, following the Coup of 1829, Bustamente and then Santa Ana sought to disarm the local militias, making people defenseless before the Commanche. He tried to force them to raise cotton or other crops and imprisoned those who resisted. He seized crops. He garrisoned the cities with soldiers who were criminals and incompetent who stole from, raped, and abused the population. He rescinded the tax agreements and raised tariffs. He also tried to prohibit free exercise of religion. He interfered with travel to and from the Tennessee Valley. In short, he was trying to turn the population into peons.

The final straw was the Seven Laws passed by the Mexican leader Santa Ana in 1935. These laws allowed him to become a dictator. It completely enraged the Mexican population in Mexico, the Texians, Tejanos, and the Cherokee/Apaches in the territory. This following several years of increasing despotism after Bustamente took over in the Coup of December 1829.

Texas tried over a period of four years to work within the system to get changes until they finally reached their breaking point which came when Santa Ana made himself dictator and was able to consolidate control in Mexico and thus march into Texas.

Austin used many Commanche tactics to fend off Santa Ana in the retreat from South Texas.

Santa Ana was a brutal man. The Goliad Massacre of 300+ surrendered Texians, Tejanos, Blacks, and Indians was the low point of the invasion and would have caused US intervention via Andrew Jackson had not Austin won at San Jacinto. Of course, San Jacinto did not settle things.

It was a very interesting period. The triad of Commanche, Texas, and Mexico played off each other. Had disease not crippled the Commanche, Texas would be very different today, especially once the Commanche-Scots assimilation occurred like it did in the Tennessee Valley with the Cherokee. A Commanche-Goodnight culture would have been interesting to see.

Mexican

Comanche

Texas

Charles Goodnight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2012, 11:38 AM

243 posts, read 279,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX75007 View Post
The only reason Mexico outlawed slavery in Mexico was because it interfered with the peonage system already in place, which was and still is slavery by another name. The only reason they did the prohibition in Texas was to force the population into peonage. And it was a prohibition not an emancipation. It was a means of forcing control.

Almost all of the primary sources (Texian, Tejano, Indian) and historical figures from the period cite the abuse of the population in Texas as the reason for secession. Very few mention slavery at all. The Texas Declaration of Independence in 1836 does not mention slavery. There were very few slaves in Texas at the time and the economy had yet to become significantly linked to either England or the South. Most people were either ranchers, hunters, or yeoman farmers. The Revolution in Texas was supported by the entire population.

Specific to TX, following the Coup of 1829, Bustamente and then Santa Ana sought to disarm the local militias, making people defenseless before the Commanche. He tried to force them to raise cotton or other crops and imprisoned those who resisted. He seized crops. He garrisoned the cities with soldiers who were criminals and incompetent who stole from, raped, and abused the population. He rescinded the tax agreements and raised tariffs. He also tried to prohibit free exercise of religion. He interfered with travel to and from the Tennessee Valley. In short, he was trying to turn the population into peons.

The final straw was the Seven Laws passed by the Mexican leader Santa Ana in 1935. These laws allowed him to become a dictator. It completely enraged the Mexican population in Mexico, the Texians, Tejanos, and the Cherokee/Apaches in the territory. This following several years of increasing despotism after Bustamente took over in the Coup of December 1829.

Texas tried over a period of four years to work within the system to get changes until they finally reached their breaking point which came when Santa Ana made himself dictator and was able to consolidate control in Mexico and thus march into Texas.

Austin used many Commanche tactics to fend off Santa Ana in the retreat from South Texas.

Santa Ana was a brutal man. The Goliad Massacre of 300+ surrendered Texians, Tejanos, Blacks, and Indians was the low point of the invasion and would have caused US intervention via Andrew Jackson had not Austin won at San Jacinto. Of course, San Jacinto did not settle things.

It was a very interesting period. The triad of Commanche, Texas, and Mexico played off each other. Had disease not crippled the Commanche, Texas would be very different today, especially once the Commanche-Scots assimilation occurred like it did in the Tennessee Valley with the Cherokee. A Commanche-Goodnight culture would have been interesting to see.

Mexican

Comanche

Texas

Charles Goodnight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You seem very knowledgeable. Is there a book of Texas history that you recommend?

Old 12-10-2012, 06:41 PM
EF2 EF2 started this thread

17 posts, read 22,398 times
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses. So much good stuff here. I ran outta here with those first responses thinking I'd never return for more smackdowns.

If I do come to Texas, don't worry, I won't waste water. I know drought first-hand and don't take water for granted. (Hence my question).

Texas history is fascinating and very intricate. I'd love to see a book recommendation from TX75007.

And, yes, Zombies are a bit tongue-in-cheek.

Last edited by EF2; 12-10-2012 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: wrong screen name, meant TX75007

Old 12-10-2012, 06:51 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EF2 View Post
Thank you everyone for your thoughtful responses. So much good stuff here. I ran outta here with those first responses thinking I'd never return for more smackdowns.

If I do come to Texas, don't worry, I won't waste water. I know drought first-hand and don't take water for granted. (Hence my question).

Texas history is fascinating and very intricate. I'd love to see a book recommendation from TX75007.

And, yes, Zombies are a bit tongue-in-cheek.
EF2 come on down, don't worry we don't have zombies, but we do have the drought, and very little if any drug cartels in Austin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas